Whitbread Reviews

Reset
3.3
Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

Pros
  • Provide a nice working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in Head Office it's a great job, (in 3 reviews)

• not enough promotions, low pay, far too many youngters rather than older teams, too many paperwork which course less on customers interactions (in 3 reviews)

1. Back of house whitbread

I worked at Whitbread

Pros

Great company to work for! Look after you so well

Cons

Min wage! They dont advertise online for non managment jobs

2. Hospitality heaven

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Busy environment there's always something to do and the team is great to work together

Cons

Sometimes too busy and things can get out of hands easily if the team doesn't work well together or the manager schedules badly

Advice to Management

Help managers more by not giving them that much freedom in their management style and talk to the team as well as the manager to get the real feedback.

3. Brilliant company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gillingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gillingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, good pay, good hours, always opportunity to work more if we want to! The atmosphere is just amazing. I am valued as a person, as my own individual person and encouraged to express my own personality. I do not feel like a number or a cog in a wheel going unnoticed. Praised often as well as encouraged on areas to improve myself. I have never worked in an organisation like this before and is by far the best job I have ever had. Doesn't feel like work. Feels like a family taking care of extended family members coming to us. A real tribe

Cons

I have yet to come across any downside. Any hiccups that have occurred have been dealt with swiftly and professionally and I believe that is testament to strong relationships being built

Advice to Management

Not so much 'advice' as I don't feel qualified to advise them on their jobs. I would just say keep going and keep improving yourselves as you encourage in us, I would like to encourage the same in you

5. Hard but challenging

I worked at Whitbread

Pros

Good in house training provided to those who are keen to learn. A pleasant working atmosphere in my particular place of work but I think it will differ depending on the style of the work environment and management.

Cons

Usually required to work weekends, bank holidays and even Christmas day although good tips can be earned at these times. Can be quite stressful at busy times and hard work on your feet most of the shift.

Advice to Management

Immediate management are in house and appreciate how much work is involved on a busy shift but the higher management levels don't seem to appreciate what difficulties are encountered by staff trying to adhere to company policies.

6. Whitbread review

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Great people, Relaxed Environment, Great opportunities for growth, the company is doing very well financially, employee share scheme

Cons

Maternity Pay is poor, No standard way of doing things

7. Great people but need better tools

Current Employee - Accountant in Luton, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Equal opportunities. I think management are generally on the lookout for people who are willing and capable enough to step up to the next level. Increasingly pro-women managers... and likely to continue now that we have one of the five female FTSE 100 CEO's. 2. Opportunities to move around within the business, eg from Costa to Premier Inn; from the Support Centre to Operations and vice-versa. 3. Free coffee, if that's your thing.

Cons

1. We are using 19th century systems, which slows down work at all levels. Fortunately management are fixing this but it will take a couple of years. 2. Don't go o head office on a Monday after 8.30 or you won't be able to park.

Advice to Management

For projects, think about appointing a single owner with budget control, full accountability and a vested interest in the outcome.

8. horrible

Former Employee - Chef in Ebbw Vale, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Chef in Ebbw Vale, Wales (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay many staff there

Cons

Horrible management pay always wrong never new uniforms boots

Advice to Management

Get new management

9. Fast paced exciting environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is collaborative and fast paced allowing individuals to action change

Cons

Sometimes the volume of work can affect the work life balance

10. Joke!

Current Employee - Team Member in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Member in York, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time

Pros

No pros except meeting new people and some decent customers

Cons

A once great company who care more now about profit and shareholders than being customer focussed. The legend they preach is about 'serving up great memories' but sadly it's all fake and hollow like the food. Area managers and above have it pretty easy but good luck trying to get to that level. Training is pretty non existent and you are literally thrown in the deep end to sink or swim...if you do start drowning then you won't be offered a helping hand instead you will be blamed and told that you are responsible for your own demise and branded a troublemaker. Personal experience has shown me that backstabbing and treating staff as if they are cattle for the slaughter is actively encouraged and any General Manager who isn't that sort of person will be moved out after being used as a scapegoat for the senior management incompetence. I've seen slot of great people come and go due to stress and bullying by area managers and higher. It's a great pity but this company have seriously dropped the ball and lost the plot since the old days. They are devolving instead of evolving and spending more money on fancy dinners and back slapping rather than fixing troubled and struggling sites.

Advice to Management

Treat your General managers better and the people below them with respect and give help when it's asked for, that is if you want the results you demand everyday

11. Hit and Miss, great with the right support

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Lots of courses and self-development, real scope to progress

Cons

long hours, irregular shift patterns, pay not that great when you consider how many hours you do

Advice to Management

look after new starters!

RSS Feed </> Embed