Whitbread Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.8

Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

disgustingly treated, favouritism, bully for a manager and unprofessional at all times.

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Doncaster, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Doncaster, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The guests and feedback they send are so personal and touching. you really get to know guests and making them happy makes me happy.

Cons

underpaid, under staffed, over worked, long hours, no breaks, bullying and harassment, discrimination and lots lots more.

advice to the managers manager, train staff better.

Stupid management

I worked at Whitbread

Pros

I done everything for everyone

Cons

When voicing my opinion, I was told I was wrong, even though the so called manager didn't know

Get some knowledge

Underpaid, understaffed, slave drivers.

Current Employee - Chef  in  Dover, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chef in Dover, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with some awesome people, they are the only thing that keeps me sane in this heat filled, artificial light filled box, Whitbread like to call a kitchen.

Cons

I have worked in the company for over 5 and a half years, I have been on minimum wage since starting. I work in the kitchen, I am able to do every single role, I even started on the bar just to get my experience up. Do I get a pay rise, no. I don't even get tips because I work in the kitchen, I am on the same wage as front of house staff, but they get tips. They change the menu every couple of months, because the people in head office who have never worked a day in a restaurant think their ideas are fantastic, but when they launch they sink faster than the Titanic. They expect us to do even more, work even harder than we already are, without giving us any incentive to work harder. We are heavily understaffed ALL the time, and then the manager wonders why we get bad reviews. We are constantly being told that we have no hours to spend, so we can't have any more staff in, yet they employ more people and cut everyones hours down. Our general manager works two days a week, and then moans about how nothing is getting done (WHEN IT IS! He just doesn't see it because he's never there!)

Listen to your staff, the majority have worked there a hell of a long time and tend to know alot more than you think, you might be able to learn to something or get better results if you actually listened.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great team untill LEV strangled the business

Former Employee - Deputy Manager/Kitchen Manager  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Deputy Manager/Kitchen Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good bonuses and holiday entitlement

Cons

LEV , food quality, audits, length of shifts(not keeping to working time directives) no management pay rises for 4 years, no work life balance

branch manager was very good to work for for the first 8 years i was there but when he left it all went to pot ( no strength or direction).
    when i left no exit interview was set up . i feel cheated as i left the company working my full notice but left 6 weeks before the bonus was paid out and received none where as the kitchen manager was off work sick on full pay for over 8 months (which i had to act and work as both deputy manager and cover his roll working over 60 hrs a week) which i later found out that he was not processed as being off sick and he received the full bonus. and also took 9 weeks to receive my P45

Horrible

Former Employee - Reception Team Leader/Duty Manager
    Former Employee - Reception Team Leader/Duty Manager

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Made good friends, able to move around UK

Cons

Pay, Management, Hours, Shifts, Rest Breaks.

Treat staff with respect and reward them with achievable incentives.

The worst company I have ever worked

Current Employee - Waiter
    Current Employee - Waiter

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

well, really difficult to find any. only one thing may be positive if your work as waiter/waitress - tips, otherwise well underpaid job for work you doing.

Cons

staff meals/drinks - paid, unpaid breaks (it doesnt matter if you take one or not, till system will clock you out autoamticlly after 6 hours, for UNPAID 30 min) , loads of responsibilities (upselling, upsizing, cleaning, advertising, brand standard) for min wage, company doesnt care about their own workers, any good ideas how to improve your working place are ignored, the worst company i ve ever worked for!! No loyality to company, staff demotivated, no benefits to be a part of whitbread whatsoever,

put more focus on yours staff not on the figuers - we are human not robots, appraciate our hard work,

Has more cons than pros

Former Employee - Bar Staff  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bar Staff in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job was very social and friendly (with customers) it had a lot of potential to move up

Cons

Management let personal issues come before work related issues, lack of social life and favouritism when it comes to holidays. Hard to fit in

You should choose your favourite employee to have time off, you should let people have more of a social life and let people settle in without it being a clique. Don't get personal when it comes to work matters.

Absolutely zero interest in what employee's have to say.

Former Employee - Deputy General Manager
    Former Employee - Deputy General Manager

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potential to progress quickly if you are willing to put up with their TERRIBLE marketing strategies and lack of thought with everything they do.

Cons

If you work in Head Office it's a great job,..If you work in a restaurant or hotel, it is truly going to take your life away. There is a complete expectation for you to give everything to get nothing. I was once even offered a promotion with no pay rise at all, and the excuse was "It's for your development". More for less.
      I cannot begin to explain the atrocious lack of actual management at higher level. All they do is hide behind words that are meaningless. The policies and targets that are set clearly come from people that have never worked on a floor level. Having worked my way up from the bottom, in 3 years working for Whitbread, I have seen 14 managers get dismiised. This is all coming from someone that has worked in a restaurant, I have truly been astonished with the incompetance of almost all of the managers (Area Manager and above) over my time there.

Work in one of your establishments before bringing out some ridiculous marketing or policy that pretty much forces people to work without breaks.

I wouldn't advice my friends or family to work for them

Former Employee - Bartender, Barista, Waitress, Team Leader  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bartender, Barista, Waitress, Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best thing about working for whitbread was meeting people from pretty much all over the world and making new friends

Cons

Very low pay, staff is being treated like slaves pretty often, loads of empty promises and pretty much no perspective unless you're a friend of someone from higher management.

mostly to understand that you work with people, not robots and try to treat them equally and recognise good job

Excellent training

Former Employee - Waitress  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waitress in London, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training day was great, to the point that I was able to land an excellent job elsewhere the very next day. Its a shame it took place after I had had enough of the business.

Cons

Heavily understaffed, if you are going to employ 18 year old's with limited life experience, mentor them properly, and train them at the beginning of employment, and not (in my case) at the end.

Lead by example

Worked for Whitbread? Contribute to the Community!