Whitbread

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Andy Harrison

Andy Harrison

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A company with full of opportunities........

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Heathrow, England (UK)

ProsA great company with friendly working environment.....great opportunities for progression in short span.....timely training for staffs of all levels......great hierarchy system means more opportunities.....the best I like is the INCENTIVE after hitting targets every periods.

ConsEven though audits are for good and is a must.....some times create pressure on all levels for a quite long period till audit actually happens. Also a department is being judged for the rest of the year just based on the audit of one day...which can be good or bad based on the mood of the employer that faces the auditor....

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management right from the cluster manager to site manager is good .....the one- to -ones at individual sites need to be made more effective for the overall goodness of the site .....keep doing good....All the Best.

Good place to work

Receptionist (Current Employee)
    Falkirk, Scotland (UK)

ProsIncentives are good and flexible with hours

ConsNot always trained in a good way

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people a little more like humans

Has more cons than pros

Bar Staff (Former Employee)
    Manchester, England (UK)

ProsThe job was very social and friendly (with customers) it had a lot of potential to move up

ConsManagement let personal issues come before work related issues, lack of social life and favouritism when it comes to holidays. Hard to fit in

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should choose your favourite employee to have time off, you should let people have more of a social life and let people settle in without it being a clique. Don't get personal when it comes to work matters.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

rubbish. cheap pay

Kitchen Manager (Former Employee)
    Christchurch, England (UK)

Prosalways available for work, team work, lots of part time work, friendly, it was great team work with 20 odd years ago with fresh food with less microwave

Consnot enough promotions, low pay, far too many youngters rather than older teams, too many paperwork which course less on customers interactions. far too many microwave food now compare to 20 years ago.

Advice to Senior Managementout fronts teams get good tips and bonus money when customers gets good feedback. but kitchens team gets nothing considering they are the one who actually cooks food! all out front team take food out and place on table, that it. bit unfair on kitchen teams ,give them something on bonus on monthly basis

Absolutely zero interest in what employee's have to say.

Deputy General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPotential to progress quickly if you are willing to put up with their TERRIBLE marketing strategies and lack of thought with everything they do.

ConsIf you work in Head Office it's a great job,..If you work in a restaurant or hotel, it is truly going to take your life away. There is a complete expectation for you to give everything to get nothing. I was once even offered a promotion with no pay rise at all, and the excuse was "It's for your development". More for less.
      I cannot begin to explain the atrocious lack of actual management at higher level. All they do is hide behind words that are meaningless. The policies and targets that are set clearly come from people that have never worked on a floor level. Having worked my way up from the bottom, in 3 years working for Whitbread, I have seen 14 managers get dismiised. This is all coming from someone that has worked in a restaurant, I have truly been astonished with the incompetance of almost all of the managers (Area Manager and above) over my time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in one of your establishments before bringing out some ridiculous marketing or policy that pretty much forces people to work without breaks.

I wouldn't advice my friends or family to work for them

Bartender, Barista, Waitress, Team Leader (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsBest thing about working for whitbread was meeting people from pretty much all over the world and making new friends

ConsVery low pay, staff is being treated like slaves pretty often, loads of empty promises and pretty much no perspective unless you're a friend of someone from higher management.

Advice to Senior Managementmostly to understand that you work with people, not robots and try to treat them equally and recognise good job

Great place to work

Prosgrowing fast, great opportunities. Good management, Inovative, Freindly

Consbig company culture, limited opotunity for specilists

Underpaid, understaffed, slave drivers.

Chef (Current Employee)
    Dover, England (UK)

ProsI work with some awesome people, they are the only thing that keeps me sane in this heat filled, artificial light filled box, Whitbread like to call a kitchen.

ConsI have worked in the company for over 5 and a half years, I have been on minimum wage since starting. I work in the kitchen, I am able to do every single role, I even started on the bar just to get my experience up. Do I get a pay rise, no. I don't even get tips because I work in the kitchen, I am on the same wage as front of house staff, but they get tips. They change the menu every couple of months, because the people in head office who have never worked a day in a restaurant think their ideas are fantastic, but when they launch they sink faster than the Titanic. They expect us to do even more, work even harder than we already are, without giving us any incentive to work harder. We are heavily understaffed ALL the time, and then the manager wonders why we get bad reviews. We are constantly being told that we have no hours to spend, so we can't have any more staff in, yet they employ more people and cut everyones hours down. Our general manager works two days a week, and then moans about how nothing is getting done (WHEN IT IS! He just doesn't see it because he's never there!)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, the majority have worked there a hell of a long time and tend to know alot more than you think, you might be able to learn to something or get better results if you actually listened.

Excellent training

Waitress (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThe training day was great, to the point that I was able to land an excellent job elsewhere the very next day. Its a shame it took place after I had had enough of the business.

ConsHeavily understaffed, if you are going to employ 18 year old's with limited life experience, mentor them properly, and train them at the beginning of employment, and not (in my case) at the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example

Great team untill LEV strangled the business

Deputy Manager/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee)
    Peterborough, England (UK)

Prosgood bonuses and holiday entitlement

ConsLEV , food quality, audits, length of shifts(not keeping to working time directives) no management pay rises for 4 years, no work life balance

Advice to Senior Managementbranch manager was very good to work for for the first 8 years i was there but when he left it all went to pot ( no strength or direction).
    when i left no exit interview was set up . i feel cheated as i left the company working my full notice but left 6 weeks before the bonus was paid out and received none where as the kitchen manager was off work sick on full pay for over 8 months (which i had to act and work as both deputy manager and cover his roll working over 60 hrs a week) which i later found out that he was not processed as being off sick and he received the full bonus. and also took 9 weeks to receive my P45

Worked for Whitbread? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whitbread reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Whitbread CEO Andy Harrison . All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Whitbread employees.