White Castle

Bill Ingram III

Hell of a job now.

Operator (Former Employee)

I worked at White Castle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHas good benefits and vacations. Loved my customers thru out the years.

ConsNo family values. Only has WC in mind. Doesnt care about your family life and if you need time off for family reasons. The management expects the impossible, work 2-3 people per shift and expect all jobs done along with good service and food! Wont hire in full time so you cant get benefits. Say they will work with people who have disabilities but if that person is left to work only register they are short a body that is capable of moving around, getting fryers done and grills cleaned, working drive thru, waiting on cust's and all the rest. The other workers have to work even harder and dislike the person with disabilities so that person ends up quiting. People are walking on egg shells and dont know for sure if they will have a job or not at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less "only White Castle" be more a friend and less strict boss. Inforce rules but be reasonable with them. Be less robotic and less afraid of the big bosses. Have more people on shifts so jobs can get done along with good food and service. 20 and more years ago you had someone on every job....making drinks, grill, fryer, push and so on. Dont need all those but have enough if someone calls off you dont have to work double shifts or kill yourself getting the job done.

Not bad for what it is...

White Castle Crew Manager (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at White Castle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery laid back work environment...not as many sales as other chains
Weekly Paychecks
Good co-workers, become your extended family if you are full time
Free chow...
Manager pay is decent for a fast food place

ConsGood and bad GM's...you will really be affected by who your GM is. If you have a good one, you'll probably really enjoy working for White Castle. However, if you get someone bad, prepare for a crappy schedule (for example closing one evening, having to open the next morning), constant turnover and stress.

Obamacare is going to cut into people's hours big time...not company's fault obviously but unfortunate for all still employed

Nature of the work...you'll meet a lot of good people in this company. However, that still doesn't make up for the potential crack heads, heroin junkies, pill poppers and general dummies that can make up your crew. Having to manage people like this can cause your brain to explode!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in "smart" technology to make your restaurants more profitable!

temporary. ideal for high schoolers only!

Mannagement (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at White Castle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree food and thats it.

ConsLow pay. Not a good paying job.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

crew member

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at White Castle part-time for less than a year

Prosenvironment, flexible, easy job to do, good job if you need a lil part time gig

Conspay, strict late policy, if your new you they tend to stick you on register or drive thru every chance they get.

Going south - Longest 7 years of my life.

Team Member (Former Employee)
Griffith, IN

I worked at White Castle full-time for more than 5 years

Prosfree food
2 weeks vacation every year
Christmas bonuses (before 2008)

ConsThe ridiculous amount of micromanagement that is performed by the district level managers and above.

Christmas bonuses have been cut in half every year for the past 5 years (I realize a bonus is not mandatory but still this is not a good sign of a company's future).

Bill Ingram isn't running the day to day operations of the restaurant division anymore. His daughter Lisa is. She is doing a very poor job at it.

Money has been wasted on unnecessary equipment and the online ordering system (an average of only 5 online orders come in every month).

Medical benefits have been decreased while rates have increased due to contract with a different provider. More cost out of pocket.

In order to make up for lack of profit (because too much money has been wasted) there are a shortage of people on shift at a given time. Customers are unable to be served in a proper and quick fashion which reduces the chance of them coming back which reduces profit even further.

Due to the recent restructuring (at least in the Chicago Region), the chances of moving up has practically been reduced to zero. This is because approximately 70 assistant general managers were demoted to crew managers. There can only be 19 AGM's now. This has flooded the crew manager position with people that aren't going anywhere anytime soon. How can a Team Member move up in this situation?

I could go on and on and on and on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttend business school.

Lay off the micromanagement. It is not your job to make sure Team Members are putting the meat on the griddle in the correct fashion. Your job is to make sure the numbers are good for each store. THAT'S IT.

Stop wasting money. Give us more people on shift to meet demand. Try to come up with working ideas to bring in new customers and retain them.

Meh place to work in general

Crew Manager (Former Employee)
Griffith, IN

I worked at White Castle full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is ability to move up pretty easily.

ConsThe raises are pretty insignificant, especially with the rise in living cost.

its an okay job but they are making cuts in the company.

Crew Manager (Current Employee)
Sunbury, OH

I have been working at White Castle full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe benaifits for full time are good.

Consnever get overtime and don't get the raises like they used to.

Advice to Senior Managementits easy to get management but after that you have to wait a really long time to move up from there.

White Castle great starter job!

Team Member (Current Employee)
Oswego, IL

I have been working at White Castle part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible scheduling. Pay. Great place to start out at. Can grow in the company fast.

ConsSOME of the Chicago area managers are terrible. They do not respect their employees or their customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and your customers.

Working for a year and you get tired of the job honestly...

Team Member (Former Employee)
Allentown, PA

I worked at White Castle part-time for more than a year

ProsVery good boss,double pay on holidays,every week you get your paycheck

ConsThe customer can be very rude when your trying to be nice with them!But thats expected in all fast-food...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing good,but there's a few people that need to be nicer and less intimidating!

Great place to start out!

Crew (Current Employee)
Blaine, MN

I have been working at White Castle part-time for more than a year

ProsBeats other fast food places hand down
Free food . working at mcd, half my paycheck went to food.
2 week paid off
more of family then a corp
ok pay, but that goes for all fast food jobs
paid every week, not twice week
holiday bonus, double pay , for fast food job that is pretty good.
went to work at couple castle in MN , all friendly.

castle 34 in Blaine is great place to work.

people take stuff for granted just too bit much, be jobless or go work at mcd's and u won't ever get the benefits like white castle gives.

ConsI don't see why people complain about lack of people on a shift, teamwork is everything, plus kills more time.. more stuff to do.

Its all I eat.

Advice to Senior Managementi think there doing great job! higher up's come visit once in while very nice!

trying sell donations.. too many things to say at the window bothers lot of customers! some come in everyday just want a #1 meal. chesse on it,drink?, like try this? anything else? donation? name? and we have to ask them, some yell, or get mad. try different approach.. a poster ? for donation..and numbers instead of names would speed the sos quite a bit.. I don't see why have ask its almost rude.

other that why work at any fast food place? white castle is #1 on my list.

Worked for White Castle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at White Castle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for White Castle CEO Bill Ingram III. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by White Castle employees.