White Castle Reviews

White Castle Chairman and CEO Bill Ingram III
Bill Ingram III

Okay, average retail experience

I worked at White Castle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid Weekly, decent co-workers. Not as ridiculously busy as most other food service positions. Free food before, after, or during your shift. Definitely gonna miss the free food.

Cons

my location was particularly understaffed, otherwise it was an average retail food service position, little opportunity for advancement, occasional rude customers, schedule varies all over the place with little warning, often having to work early morning one day and overnight the next day.

It was an experience thats for sure!

Former Employee - White Castle Crew Manager  in  Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - White Castle Crew Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at White Castle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Got paid weekly, Our regulars made the job worth it!

Cons

Wasn't A lot of communication. It was hard to feel welcomed as a new comer.

Express The Thought Of More Communication.

It's ok..

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at White Castle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about working here is that management is very accommodating with school schedules, get paid weekly, 2 weeks of paid vacation after a year of working here, and holiday pay.

Cons

The hours, working short staffed, dealing with angry customers because we are short staffed, dealing with IVR scores telling us to improve speed of service when we don't have enough workers to get the the orders out..

I think when we get extremely busy or do not have enough people scheduled we should close the dining room and just have everyone come through drive thru.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sketchy company to work for

Former Employee - Team Member  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at White Castle part-time for more than a year

Pros

The crew and most managers were amazing people to work with. They were like a second family, and the regulars who would come in would make my day great.

Cons

The general manager was rude, yelled across the counter (in front of customers) to one of my coworkers cleaning the front room. She always thought she was right and yelled at the smallest things such as me not being done with cleaning the back, front, and outside of the store. How does she expect everything to be clean when she schedules just me and a manager? (the manager is in the office doing paperwork/payroll or doing inventory) So I have to clean the whole store, take orders, make food, and continue cleaning.

Also when I left, they owed me vacation pay which I didn't get in my final paycheck. I send a email to the General Manager, contacted the Labor Department, and 1 month after I quit, they sent me a check. If you quit, they will NOT give you vacation pay unless you ask them for it.

Get your general manager under control.

Ready to leave

Current Employee - White Castle Crew Manager  in  Shiloh, IL
    Current Employee - White Castle Crew Manager in Shiloh, IL

I have been working at White Castle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost everybody that work there became my 2nd family even met my soul mate there
    Got better with customer service skills

Cons

General Manager I work at is sneaky & is best friends with another manager at our store & with they relationship that manager gets away with certain things.

You all may have worked in White Castle in the past but try doing it again today cause if the rules & things we must do isn't serious & doesn't make sense as long as it's safe/healthy/ gets the work done. You guys come in your suits & walk around & judge us & say very rude comments

Good First Job

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Bloomington, IN

I worked at White Castle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, quick raises, easy to move up in

Cons

Being easy to move up in the company means you have managers that aren't that great or don't know what they are really doing.

The general managers need to be screened more closely to make sure they are actually doing their job.

The Company is family owned and I loved the history, but it is fast food, so its only as rewarding as you make it.

Former Employee - White Castle Crew Manager  in  Apple Valley, MN
    Former Employee - White Castle Crew Manager in Apple Valley, MN

I worked at White Castle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The crew and the regulars kept me coming to work.

Cons

Things change a lot and there were a lot of politics.

Encourage the crew and get rid of bad apples quickly

trainer

I have been working at White Castle

Pros

Free food and raise every six months, paid every week

Cons

management is very confused on what is being done, benefits only for upper management , must be part time

work more with team members

Great experience overall

Current Employee - Crew Manager II  in  Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Crew Manager II in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at White Castle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reasons to work at White Castle are the benefits: Profit sharing, 2 weeks paid vacation (goes up the longer you've been there), free food while working, free uniforms, and discounted work shoes. If you manage to find work at a good castle, you'll have fun. It's always a blast working with the people I work with. There's always going to be bad days but when you really sit back and reminisce on all the fun times there, it makes it worthwhile.

Cons

When I first started, everything was sublime. Now we have on-call days (as if we're doctors), your job is threatened if you go outside to have a cigarette (even if you're working on something), upper management is starting to lose some jobs, new upper management is taking its place, the distribution center for White Castle has to have little kids running it, etc. I used to have the most corrupt manager I've ever seen in my whole life. She would deck your pay (lower it- below minimum wage) simply if she didn't like you. I'd get into more about cons but I believe you get the general gist.

Yeah, listen to the little guys once in a while. They work in the stores day-to-day and can offer some real helpful tips on how to streamline and make things more efficient and boost morale.

Rewarding work with loyal owners

Former Employee - Home Office  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Home Office in Columbus, OH

I worked at White Castle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

loyalty to employees, personal growth

Cons

The flexibility of Sr mgmt and also the barrier to advance past those with seniority regardless of performance (unfortunately (being loyal) it's also something I liked) - Home, work life balance

Be more flexible

Worked for White Castle? Contribute to the Community!