White Castle

Updated Jul 29, 2014

White Castle Chairman and CEO Bill Ingram III

Bill Ingram III

Okay, average retail experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaid Weekly, decent co-workers. Not as ridiculously busy as most other food service positions. Free food before, after, or during your shift. Definitely gonna miss the free food.

Consmy location was particularly understaffed, otherwise it was an average retail food service position, little opportunity for advancement, occasional rude customers, schedule varies all over the place with little warning, often having to work early morning one day and overnight the next day.

It was an experience thats for sure!

White Castle Crew Manager (Former Employee) Brooklyn Park, MN

ProsGot paid weekly, Our regulars made the job worth it!

ConsWasn't A lot of communication. It was hard to feel welcomed as a new comer.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpress The Thought Of More Communication.

It's ok..

Team Member (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe best thing about working here is that management is very accommodating with school schedules, get paid weekly, 2 weeks of paid vacation after a year of working here, and holiday pay.

ConsThe hours, working short staffed, dealing with angry customers because we are short staffed, dealing with IVR scores telling us to improve speed of service when we don't have enough workers to get the the orders out..

Advice to Senior ManagementI think when we get extremely busy or do not have enough people scheduled we should close the dining room and just have everyone come through drive thru.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sketchy company to work for

Team Member (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe crew and most managers were amazing people to work with. They were like a second family, and the regulars who would come in would make my day great.

ConsThe general manager was rude, yelled across the counter (in front of customers) to one of my coworkers cleaning the front room. She always thought she was right and yelled at the smallest things such as me not being done with cleaning the back, front, and outside of the store. How does she expect everything to be clean when she schedules just me and a manager? (the manager is in the office doing paperwork/payroll or doing inventory) So I have to clean the whole store, take orders, make food, and continue cleaning.

Also when I left, they owed me vacation pay which I didn't get in my final paycheck. I send a email to the General Manager, contacted the Labor Department, and 1 month after I quit, they sent me a check. If you quit, they will NOT give you vacation pay unless you ask them for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your general manager under control.

Ready to leave

White Castle Crew Manager (Current Employee) Shiloh, IL

ProsAlmost everybody that work there became my 2nd family even met my soul mate there
    Got better with customer service skills

ConsGeneral Manager I work at is sneaky & is best friends with another manager at our store & with they relationship that manager gets away with certain things.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all may have worked in White Castle in the past but try doing it again today cause if the rules & things we must do isn't serious & doesn't make sense as long as it's safe/healthy/ gets the work done. You guys come in your suits & walk around & judge us & say very rude comments

Good First Job

Team Member (Former Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsGood people, quick raises, easy to move up in

ConsBeing easy to move up in the company means you have managers that aren't that great or don't know what they are really doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe general managers need to be screened more closely to make sure they are actually doing their job.

The Company is family owned and I loved the history, but it is fast food, so its only as rewarding as you make it.

White Castle Crew Manager (Former Employee) Apple Valley, MN

ProsThe crew and the regulars kept me coming to work.

ConsThings change a lot and there were a lot of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage the crew and get rid of bad apples quickly

trainer

ProsFree food and raise every six months, paid every week

Consmanagement is very confused on what is being done, benefits only for upper management , must be part time

Advice to Senior Managementwork more with team members

Great experience overall

Crew Manager II (Current Employee) Tinley Park, IL

ProsThe best reasons to work at White Castle are the benefits: Profit sharing, 2 weeks paid vacation (goes up the longer you've been there), free food while working, free uniforms, and discounted work shoes. If you manage to find work at a good castle, you'll have fun. It's always a blast working with the people I work with. There's always going to be bad days but when you really sit back and reminisce on all the fun times there, it makes it worthwhile.

ConsWhen I first started, everything was sublime. Now we have on-call days (as if we're doctors), your job is threatened if you go outside to have a cigarette (even if you're working on something), upper management is starting to lose some jobs, new upper management is taking its place, the distribution center for White Castle has to have little kids running it, etc. I used to have the most corrupt manager I've ever seen in my whole life. She would deck your pay (lower it- below minimum wage) simply if she didn't like you. I'd get into more about cons but I believe you get the general gist.

Advice to Senior ManagementYeah, listen to the little guys once in a while. They work in the stores day-to-day and can offer some real helpful tips on how to streamline and make things more efficient and boost morale.

Rewarding work with loyal owners

Home Office (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

Prosloyalty to employees, personal growth

ConsThe flexibility of Sr mgmt and also the barrier to advance past those with seniority regardless of performance (unfortunately (being loyal) it's also something I liked) - Home, work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible

Worked for White Castle? Contribute to the Community!