White House Black Market

Reset
2.9
White House Black Market Brand President Donna M. Colaco
Donna M. Colaco

Pros
  • the customers are great and helping them get dressed is a ball, I love the clothes and I loved helping women feel beautiful (in 10 reviews)

• Great employee discount with frequent added discounts if store is doing well as an whole (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance in multi unit management (in 13 reviews)

• We are basically taught to be slaves to the customers for minimum wage (in 25 reviews)

1. Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at White House Black Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent discount & company benefits

Cons

Very competitive - have had a lot of arguments between sales associates, can get catty with all women

Advice to Management

Hire women that are dedicated to their job not just because they think the clothes are pretty

2. Organized retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at White House Black Market

Pros

Discounts, selection of new trendy apparel, helping customers look amazing!

Cons

More register options for special orders

3. Good company

I worked at White House Black Market part-time

Pros

Their approach to each sales associate having their own "clientele" is a great way to build sales experience. The regional management and store management all operated really well, and it was fun to have the chance to work at different locations sometimes. Good starting hourly pay with option to make commission.

Cons

Commission structure changed while I was an employee. Bigger payout on bigger sales, but smaller payout on the smaller sales which impacted checks overall in a negative way for most people in my store.

Advice to Management

Sending top sales performers to neighboring stores to bring a fresh energy is something that could be implemented more and possibly bring in more sales. Encouraging more appointments with clientele is great too.

5. Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at White House Black Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customer service oriented environment who truly value their employees. Incentive for individual sales as well as management bonuses. thorough training for management

Cons

No hours allocated to complete training, management constantly contradicting themselves and trying to reinvent the wheel causing need to constantly spend time retraining staff. Too many metrics to focus on became overwhelming.

Advice to Management

one clear selling module to teach once with payroll to properly train. This would increase sales and decrease the need for constant performance management.

6. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Jupiter, FL

I worked at White House Black Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was a good discount and the customers were receptive to sales associates.

Cons

The pay is terrible and guidance from upper management is aggressive unless you are making your goals.

7. Designer

I worked at White House Black Market

Pros

Sructured process. Organized. Good opportunity to learn business strategy and grow within the team.

Cons

At times overly process driven. Newness of ideas can be difficult achieve. The people at peer level are great, some higher management are untrustworthy and can make the job political.

Advice to Management

Allow the team to generate new ideas for the company, step back and have more trust in your designers.

The nitty gritty

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Houston, TX

I worked at White House Black Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers (people are genuine and friendly), Store discount 40% and at times up to 60% I noticed this year employees were offered more higher discount opportunities. Flexibility (this is what kept me there the past 3 years) They really do make an effort to work with your schedule. Initially we had store meetings to recognize top performers and create a sense of togetherness.

Cons

You are basically a sales person. (This is not a good thing) When I started at the company they wanted us to have a personable/genuine approach to customers, and it worked. I mean how can you expect someone to spend $2000+ with you if you're not genuine. As of last July, upper management implemented a different approach which is basically "get em in and get em out." No more genuine approach. Managers are basically expected to sound like broken records, often reusing the same "lines" with each customer that walks in. The customer is then passed on to a sales associate who has no opportunity to connect with this customer and ultimately has no clue why they are in the store. When I started, it seemed as if the focus was on the bonus for the employees which makes sense. If employees are happy, then they are motivated to crank out the sales. Unfortunately with the new selling method they could care less about how much money you bonus. If you want to move up in the company please know that favoritism is EVERYTHING and they do not care to hire from within lol. New stores were opened and they went to other retailers to hire management.

Advice to Management

Read my "cons" I could go on and on. Things definitely changed from my first year and a half to now. If you want customers to spend money, go back to the genuine approach. All this pass off to this and pass off to this person comes across as a factory with a conveyor belt. Customers are simply overwhelmed. Maybe change the bonus structure to where employees get a percentage from EVERY customer they work with. That will eliminate other customers being neglected.

9. Assistant Manager

I have been working at White House Black Market full-time

Pros

Great people and atmosphere! It is a fun place to work. You get to talk all day doing what you love. Bonus for higher sales.

Cons

Not much room to grow once you hit a certain level. They do not teach you anything about being a store manager until you need to know. So when you do want to apply for such a position you are ill-equipped to do so. Retail hours are not much fun. Bonus does not work well with team work since it is all about individuality effectively creating a eat or be eaten environment during peak times.

Advice to Management

Teach people more beforehand. This will improve retention and make people feel important. By not educating people on how to properly run the business you run the risk of getting into a jam if for some reason the store manager is unable to do her job. It would also help because the manager would not have so much on their shoulders and would be able to rely on their teammates, meaning that the manager would be able to spend more time on the floor and less in the back. A good business is a business built on teamwork not just a store manager. It takes a team to make numbers so why let only one person make all the decisions....especially when they are mostly doing administrative tasks in back?

10. WHBM Fun Job

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at White House Black Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to work when you have great leadership.

Cons

Turnover in leadership can lead to big changes

Advice to Management

when changing leadership, if you value your employees, go over each employee with the new manager and review agreed upon employment committments.

11. Manipulative company that doesn't value employee's

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at White House Black Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Clientele is great. I love my clients. -Employee Discount: 40% off full price merchandise, %10 off sale -Commission, while poor, does allow you to make a couple extra bucks an hour - Its easy to transfer locations

Cons

- Your constantly judged on how many items you can sell to each customer (UPT) and on the average dollar value of each of your transactions- but management does not take "slow days" into consideration - My location pays minimum wage. No negotiation. - Your sales numbers are effected by what YOU buy from the store. Discouraging employee's from ever buying anything because if they don't purchase a large amount they will bring down their numbers - Employee's are discouraged or even disallowed from ever returning items they purchased at the store. - The infrastructure of inventory management is a joke. The only way of checking to see if an item is in stock is digging through back stock. - Requesting a day off is really difficult. I could ask for 1 day off 30 days in advance and still not get it.... 1 day. - Commission is terrible. - Management often complains about clientele. Very negative attitude.

RSS Feed </> Embed