White House Black Market

Add Review

White House Black Market Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
357 reviews filtered by

Highly rewarding with minimal stress

Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at White House Black Market

Pros

The job is not rocket science. If you enjoy talking with people, getting to know them, and can follow company standards, it can be very rewarding. Especially with the relationships you build with customers.

Cons

Sales expectations can be a little uunrealistic but as I remind myself and my team that as long as we are doing our best and consistent with what we do, the rest will happen.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with sales expectations so as to not feel defeated before you can even start your day. Know that every location has it's obstacles and not all customers shop the same across the nation.

2. Love to interact with consumers and sell clothes. Dislike the norms of store managers. Applied unnecessary pressure.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at White House Black Market

Pros

Selling clothes and working with customers.

Cons

Management style and training process, there was none.

Advice to Management

I understand needing to reach sales goals but give sales associates more trust to do what they were trained to do. Redevelop training process to give new employees more confidence in selling.

3. High end retailer

I worked at White House Black Market

Pros

Discount, monthly bonuses, opportunity to move up

Cons

Values of this company did not align with mine

Good Corporate Benefits, Horrible Business Philosophy

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at White House Black Market

Pros

- Inspirational leadership
    - Excellent communications between stores
    - It's easy to tell that the people who work for the company care a lot
    - I know they offer good benefits and tuition to their managers
    - Just being connected to Chicos FAS, makes you feel more secure and safe in your job
    - Promotes from within
    - Selling bonuses

Cons

Working here was the most frustrating two years of my life. I can't even look at a WHBM without thinking about 'Sydney', the name of their 'target customer'. It's Sydney, this, Sydney, that. Besides that small annoyance, this company puts far too much pressure on its company. Every aspect of the store is monitored by corporate. They know exactly how many people come in the store, how many people buy, how many items per transaction per employee. All of your scheduling is performance based, so have a bad month in sales and watch your hours drop.

I was promoted to sales lead after working as a SA for about four months. As a SA at our smaller store, I was often leading shifts and overseeing one or two employees. Our management tracked our 'segment's to track which manager met their goals and helped the store achieve plan. There were many times where my segments would well exceed our goals and help push us over goal, but because I wasn't officially part of 'management', I got ZILCH in bonuses while my assistant manager and store manager reaped all the reward.

ANOTHER frustration, our district manager insisted we have weekly meetings with the whole staff, and everyone had to clock in. Do you think our DM allotted us more hours on our ladder? Absolutely not. We would then have to cut shifts because management insisted we have a staff meeting, but then didn't give us the hours. Absolutely insane.

AND ANOTHER frustration is with the absurd philosophies on the floor. You HAVE to sell at least 3 items and every person has to be greeted and feel like you're basically grabbing their wallet for them. I had many women tell me that they love our clothes but if I so much as spoke a word to them they would turn around and leave. So many women hate being bothered while shopping, let alone a full-court press when they first walk in the store. They can practically feel the desperation in your voice because your UPT is below a 3.5. I don't shop here anymore because of their sales people.

Advice to Management

- Rethink your floor selling philosophies
    - IF YOU MAKE THE STORE HAVE MEETINGS, then give them the hours on the ladder. Goodness.

6. Creates The False Impression of a Great Working Environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at White House Black Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff is friendly. The hours are flexible.

Cons

Your hours are more than likely to be cut. Sometimes with a few hours notice and sometimes with absolutely no notice. Management does not have any regard or concern for staff. Staff is treated with concentrated disrespect.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat, especially speak to, your staff properly. We are not children and deserve respect. Retaining associates who are divisive and mean-spirited only because they're good sellers does nothing for employee morale. A lot of your NY employees are extremely dissatisfied and depressed with the working conditions/environment. Unfortunately, there is no venue for staff to safely express their opinions.

Lovely Clothes

Former Employee - Personal Wardrobe Stylist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Wardrobe Stylist in Seattle, WA

I worked at White House Black Market

Pros

Beautiful clothes, pretty shoes, boutique type storefront environment, nice accessories, lovely window displays, glossy page mail order catalog, fun costume jewelry.

Cons

When interviewing for a personal stylist position they tell you about the "bonus" pay but it's really just a very slight commission and it's amazing how down and dirty it can get when a small store full of women and young girl employees are all fighting for the same chump change "bonus" on every sale you make. That on top of fluctuating hours that never amount to more than 20 hours a week unless you are a manger and the minimum wage pay,I'm glad I got out after 4 months. The 40 mile round trip commute each day was ridiculous for this unyielding work environment.

Advice to Management

Maybe management should stop referring to the customers as "Sidney's" and treat them with the respect they deserve. The same should also apply to your employees. Look at the staff you currently have and how much experience they bring to the table and at least interview them for a lead or management position before you hire an outsider for a manger who brings her pet employee with her from her former job. Offering a better wage than minimum will also attract and retain the type of personal wardrobe stylists who will want to stay and make a career with your store. Oh, and having your employees find their own replacement(when they need a day off) by giving them a call list just shows that management doesn't really care who is minding the store as long as there is a warm body to work the shift!

A good place to work

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at White House Black Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great culture to work. The company provides tools and great training. They also provide a well rounded benefits package.

Cons

They hold store accountable for online returns making it very difficult to hit store bonus, which is a big part of your income. The company refuses to talk about the impact it has on morale or loss of store managers who can't make enough money

Advice to Management

Less unattainable contest and learn how to drive customers in store versus online. Online impacts store business negatively.

Pretty but boring

I worked at White House Black Market

Pros

Getting to know People and Guests. Working for a well known brand. Good Perks. Pay is pretty good. Nice at first.

Cons

No room for growth, Lots of micromanagement. Too much pressure to sell, sell, sell and not actually getting to know your guest

10. Worked as a Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bee Cave, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bee Cave, TX

I worked at White House Black Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working closely with the customers on what they needed. Developed close relationships with my coworkers. Employees able to earn more than hourly wage through the bonus program.

Cons

Lots of turnover in stores especially in management positions, from the store manager to sales leads, which created a disjointed work environment.

Advice to Management

Try to reduce employee and management turnover.

11. hard selling

I have been working at White House Black Market

Pros

good potential if you are a hard rule follower, and love agressive selling

Cons

company puts the cart befor the horse in initiating new things, the computer system is a mess, and no internet to order for customers

Advice to Management

let the sales people have there own style of selling

White House Black Market Photos