White House Black Market

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

White House Black Market Brand President Donna M. Colaco
Donna M. Colaco

Pros
  • Fast-paced company, lot's of room for growth, good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Commission/Bonus system pays extremely well if you are a great seller (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance in multi unit management (in 13 reviews)

• I've been working here for almost 2 years now and i make just above minimum wage (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty Well

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at White House Black Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee discount, good bling bonuses, associates and managers great to work with! The clothes are great quality, when business is slow you get to try on the clothes and give your opinion on them.

Cons

Not enough hours given, some associates steal your Sydney's, manager played favoritism.

An awful place to work

I have been working at White House Black Market

Pros

High pay. Good benefits. Lots of perks. Company offers classes for further skill enhancement.

Cons

Incompetent managers with absolute lack of people skills. It resembles a mean girls club where there's nothing you can do to protect yourself, once you become their target. Professionalism is nonexistent and the best thing to resolve an issue or concern is brush it under the rug and don't talk about it.

Change management.

Worst place to work

Former Employee - Cashier/Support Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier/Support Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at White House Black Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

40% Discount on merchandise, sometimes 50%

Cons

Don't care about employees. They believe employees are their property and don't have a personal life. Schedules came out on Thursday for Sunday to Saturday work week, so you cant plan anything ahead of time. Most of the dates are blackout to ask for leaves for months. Don't give you enough hours to make money. If you have bills to pay it wont happen with this job. 10 minutes break in 4 hrs shift anything more than 5 hrs is 30 mins unpaid lunch break. Managers don't respect you,they believe they own the store. The most depressing job i have had. They make profit of employees too. The only goal of this company is to make profits.

Just because your company is making profit doesn't mean you are doing a good job, people like the merchandise and are gonna buy it no matter what. Employee retention is one of the most important factors for any company to sustain so dont misuse your powers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too Demanding

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Stylist  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate, Stylist in Denver, CO

I have been working at White House Black Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have a good management team, then work is more fun. Flexible with hours and understanding that many associates have other (higher-paying) jobs. I am a student and I work over the summer and on breaks, and my manager is flexible with that and lets me come back once school is done with no problem. The discount is reasonable (if you have another source of income to be able to afford the clothes!)

Cons

The pay is HORRIBLE. I have been with the company for a year and I earn $8.10/hr. This pay would be understandable if this was a retail environment where all associates do is wander around, refold, greet, and cashier. As a stylist you are literally waiting hand and foot on customers, doing whatever they ask of you, running all over the store searching for items, calling 5 other stores to look for a sale top, even putting their shoes on their feet for them. We are basically taught to be slaves to the customers for minimum wage. It's absolutely absurd. Wouldn't complain about all we are asked to do if the salary started at even $10/hr. Do Nordstrom personal sellers earn minimum wage? No!!
    Second, $1,000 in one sale to make $100 bonus? Who buys $1,000 worth of clothes from one store in one day?!? Hardly anyone. I celebrate like crazy if I get that kind of sale. I could count on one hand how many times i've gotten a 100$ bonus since I've worked here. You have to sell $300 worth in one sale alone to make a measly $5. There's always coupons and promotions that prevent you from hitting the next bonus level.
    Third, the environment is SO stressful. As a seller, you have to worry about 1) how much you sell in a day 2) how much you sell in each transaction 3) how many items are in each transaction 4) how many people you are signing up for email 5) how much bonus you are trying to make to make up for the stupidly low wage. It is so intense.
    The management expects you to walk up to every single person who walks in, greet them, tell them about promotions, ask what they are shopping for, ask if they have any weddings/vacations coming up that they need to shop for, if they need clothes for work, where do they work! It's way too pushy and invasive. The company gets so many complaints that associates are too pushy, but corporate doesn't care.

I like helping customers find clothes, but with so much pressure to sell sell sell the fun is gone. I will most likely not be returning after this summer.

Raise your pay for part-timers. Offer full time positions for stylists that want to take on more hours. Fix the bonus schedule; it's nuts. Let the managers worry about the customers and total sales, not about how many emails we can get in one day and the average number of items in each bag. Don't expect every associate to ask every customer every question in the book. Coach the employees to take a more natural apporach, the customers will feed off of that energy; rather than them knowing that employees are just trying to drain them of all the money in their wallet.

Run away from WHBM

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at White House Black Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Store management are usually fun to work with and nice coworkers. Other than that there's not much else.

Cons

Run away from this company!!!!!! Don't believe the hype that you will make money with the pathetic bonuses. There are so many cons working for this company! The Gap pays better than these cheapos. I got tired very quickly being the pushy sales women. I'm pretty disgusted the way corporate and regional managers treats their employees.

Unfortunately, the store managers hands are tied to numbers. The store managers need to tell those people at corporate: that sales associates need more money.

Poor Compensation-Staff: The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at White House Black Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

You should work here only if you are starting your retail career and your 18yrs. old. The discount is ok if you are working here just for fun not for real income. The discount is nice if you have the income to afford the clothing.

Cons

No room for growth, do not come to work here if you have a college degree!!! It means nothing you will get offered a little over minimum wage. They only look at sales and management does not communicate with employees regarding growth just ignores the topic or ignore you.

Be upfront and honest about growth opportunities. Talk to staff to make sure you are on the same page in regards to their future with the company. Be on time with reviews, I have been working with this company for over 6months and no review yet.

Taken Advantage of...

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at White House Black Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the product. This company sells amazing clothing and accessories. The customers are wonderful to work with.

Cons

In my experience, my extremely negative experience, this company employs managers who take advantage of their employees and then punish them for speaking up about it. I was forced to spend my own money in order to make store sales goals, performed tasks above my position without appreciation or recognition. Then I left because I was offered a better job. My former manager who still works at this company has given me bad recommendations because she was bitter that I left and that I spoke up when I was being treated unfairly and when I caught her breaking company rules and protocol.

Treat your employees better. Don't employ managers that will set bad examples and seek revenge on employees.

Do not work there!

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at White House Black Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some people were great to work with

Cons

Management does not support you in anyway unless it benefits themselves

Do not work there

Great Coworkers but Some Managers Suck

I worked at White House Black Market

Pros

Great coworkes, metro accessible, great mall

Cons

No hours, snobby customers, a few of the managers shouldn't be managing....ANYTHING....not enough pay, not enough recognition/rewards for cashiers and support, no room for growth and district manager is too stressful to work under

Part time associate

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at White House Black Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a great discount and great bonuses.

Cons

There are no cons. Great company to work for.

Worked for White House Black Market? Contribute to the Community!