White Lodging

Updated October 9, 2014
2.8

White Lodging Chairman & CEO Bruce W White
Bruce W White

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement, very hands on in comparison to other properties (in 4 reviews)

• Company is growing so opportunity to advance is high (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not care about work/life balance and highly discourage people wanting one (in 12 reviews)

• Depending on your position you're expected to work long hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Whitelodging was a great company to work for, allowing flexibility and room for much growth

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Austin, TX

I worked at White Lodging full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is lots of room for growth within Whitelodging. This allows you to move into management positions quickly. There is also a decent amount of flexibility within your scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes management has a lack of experience, but the training programs allow managers to learn and grow quickly.

Allow your hotels to be fully staffed to allow them to take care of guests fully.

Experience building

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at White Lodging full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the department you can learn a lot about the hotel business. Great entry positions with frequent upward mobility from with. 90% of management is professional and helpful. Benefits are some of the best at the best prices.

Cons

Wages and salaries, especially for the hourly are on the lower end compared to other hotel brands and management companies. If you like the benefits you can work with it. Certain fields in the back office are difficult to move up. Management styles can vary wildly from GM to supervisors.

When disciplining employees it may be helpful to ensure that there is not a medical reason for their behavior. When informing someone that they are being suspended and subject to termination, don't tell them that they will be informed on the last day and then don't inform them. Have the professional courtesy to tell them upfront that they are being terminated ant don't leave them dangling for a week.

Terrible experience with abusive upper management

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at White Lodging full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No real pros - As a company, I have heard great things about White Lodging. But my location was a circus.

Cons

These are based off of the location I worked at only: Terrible upper management, verbal abuse of employees, they tampered with time clocks after working 60-70 hours a week and I was refused time off when my grandmother died because they couldn't keep enough employees to staff the place. Reports I made to the General Manager never made it to corporate, it took them two extra months to get my tax paperwork despite the fact I was working there at the time still. The building had bug infestations. Housekeepers were paid an extra 25 cents for every dead cockroach or cricket they kill(they kept them in bags to be able to prove to management to get their "bonuses")

A few months after I left though, White Lodging came through and got rid of all the management there. Not sure how the hotel is run now, but I still have nightmares of my time with them.

Lots of work for very little money

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at White Lodging full-time (more than an year)

Pros

White Lodging is constantly growing and expanding, so there are a lot of job opportunities in some of the most exciting cities in the US. In order to be promoted one needs to work hard, which I respect.

Cons

The pay and benefits could definitely be better. Your experience with this management company will depend on your immediate colleagues and hotel you work at.

Please show more respect to your hourly employees. At the end of the day, when you're gone, there're the ones who are running your hotel.

Noooooo way don't do it

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at White Lodging full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like working to death

Cons

No promotion opportunity unless you know someone. If you're good you'll stay where you're needed

Better employee care/pay

Worst decision I've ever made.

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at White Lodging

Pros

Good benefits package- offers medical, dental, vision, long-term and short-term disability
    Salary comparable to other hotels
    Good bonus plan for management

Cons

--Expected to work AT LEAST 60 hours a week, with no make-up days off.
    --ZERO work/life balance- Managers are expected to ALWAYS be on call. The few hours a day I wasn't at the hotel, I would receive constant calls and/or text messages from my boss.
    --Not enough support staff in the admin offices- WLS hires the bare minimum amount of hourly employees (strictly limiting them to 40 hours/wk), and expects the salaried managers to work endlessly to complete the never-ending workload.
    --Micro-managers- from the top down. Constant criticism and nit-picking, with emphasis on pleasing upper-management instead of meeting the needs of hotel guests.
    --Little to no consistency with policies and procedures. Favored managers are allowed to slough off their work to others and do not have to adhere to hotel or departmental policies.
    --Recognition is based more on popularity than productivity or true accomplishment.
    --Incompetent sales staff- very few meetings & events were blocked in appropriately sized space, many promises were made to clients without being conveyed to the departments that were expected to deliver said promises. Sales Managers frequently ignored contract clauses, giving in to clients' every whim, resulting in operations staff having to scramble at the last minute to throw things together to meet the unrealistic expectations that Sales Managers gave the clients.

Get more staff in the admin offices. Positions missing: accounts payable, general cashier, payroll manager, group rooms coordinator, catering & convention services assistant, director of catering & convention services, etc.....
    Let your managers have some time off.
    Listen to your staff when they tell you something isn't working or offer an idea for improving morale, hotel processes and/or guest satisfaction. Your employees are a great resource, so you should consider their feedback, suggestions and even their well-being, instead of expecting them to be thankless order-takers who allow themselves to be driven into the ground.

White Lodging Photos