White Stuff

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeremy Seigal

Great company

Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosthey take risks to employ young talent. Company stands for ethics. They internally progress staff who are ambitious. Free clothes. 50% discount.

ConsUn-Approachable higher management. Not always clear who to speak to about issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust be self motivated

Awful, terrible company - avoid at all costs!

Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsUniform/discount if it's what you like... No other pro's to be had

ConsOverworked, underpaid, bad management - clear 'favourites' played, holidays never authorised so go unpaid, overtime expected almost everyday - and never paid/time owed never authorised, no clear guidance in times of need, boss never visited/answered phone, significant wage differences for people in same job role

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow holidays, make wages same level for people in same role, manage people better and don't play favourites

Such a special brand!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe people and the unique culture, I loved being part of this successful brand.

ConsVery ambitious brand so lots to do, but I saw this as a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking at it through the eyes of the customer and keep listening to the brilliant people you have.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just not very good

Product Advisor (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros50% of clothing for staff and family.
    Up to £50 bonus/commission available each month.
    Some fellow staff members are fabulous

ConsBullying mentality within the management which affects the staff.
    Patronising
    No training
    Lovely on the outside, unhappy staff up to management on the inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep track of new stores staff behaviour rather than just the numbers. Meeting targets doesn't always mean that everything is ok. Treat your staff how you would expect to be treated. Train your staff, offer help not criticism. Just buck up your ideas, reassess what you're doing and do better!!

Sweatshop

Buyers Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAll the usuals - discount etc.

ConsWork/Life balance is absolutely awful, expect to work until 9/10pm, with absolutely no break for lunch. One of their marketing angles is use of ethically sustainable factories, whereas the head office workforce, especially graduates, are worked hard and to the bone with minimal pay. I was earning little more than £3 a hour, when hours worked were taken into account.

You can forget about any kind of progression their unless you work from 7am (as i know one girl did) to 9/10pm every night. They can leave at 4pm on Fridays, however I never once left at 4pm on a Friday while I worked there - my team even frowned on the people that left at 4pm!!

Unprofessional management, especially at Director level. Buying Director - extremely rude to younger members of staff to the point of degrading.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more people on the teams and look after them. I would never wish for anyone I know in the business to work for WS. It was dreadful.

The Life of a Product Advisor

Product Advisor (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsLovely people, very happy, ethical fun-loving company. Beautiful clothes and products, imaginative visual merchandising, very clear target market and company strategy. I learnt a lot about retail and higher end products after just working in a supermarket retail environment.

ConsManagement structure was a bit unclear. I started off being given a lot of responsibility, I felt like I was learning a lot, but towards the end of my time there, I felt like I had some of it taken away when we were not trained up fully on the new cashier system. I also wish that the bonus scheme was fairer. We had unrealistic store targets that were never ever met.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart up a scheme to give more junior staff members more training and responsibility, so that they have more incentive to get involved and enthusiastic and feel like they are getting the most out of their time there and enjoy it whilst learning and working.

Overworked, underpaid

Product Advisor (Current Employee)

Pros50% discount on clothing

Helpline for employees

ConsContracts don't have many hours, 4, 8 or 12 hours a week.

Poor pay compared with other high street retail companies.

Stressful environment.

You have to work bank holidays and Sundays. Sundays are paid at normal rate.

Notice period for employer is 1 month, notice to employee of contract termination is one week.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a closer eye on your shop management as the stress they feel passes down to the product advisors and leaves us incredibly unmotivated. Targets are unreasonable and only add to the downtrodden feeling.

Brilliant place to work!

Product Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsStaff are friendly, you'll really get the family feel after a while and if you put your work in, you'll be respected and everybody gets on with one another.

Good end of month bonus if achieved by the branch store, so promotes good team work and the targets are achieved as a store. Head Office also treat best selling stores to days out and meals paid for, it's really about how much you're prepared to put in, because you will be rewarded!

ConsIt can be tiring but i suppose in retail it is, management are fair and take into consideration the state of the workers.

As far as personal development, there are only 3stages and it is easy to get to 2nd stage, however there is too much of a gap between 2nd and 3rd.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, I loved working there, unfortunately I couldn't stay because I didn't see much of an extended career there.

Worked for White Stuff? Contribute to the Community!