White & Case

White & Case Chairman Hugh Verrier

Hugh Verrier

Great law firm

I worked at White & Case

ProsGreat people; for a law firm the environment is not hostile at all

ConsHard work; international angle can get tiring from all the time differences

It was the best.

Concierge (Former Employee)

I worked at White & Case full-time for more than a year

Prosoffice culture, environment, coworkers, benefits

Conslack of manpower, too much overtime work

Meaningful, supportive work and environment

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at White & Case full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat diversity and excellent approach to integration of all team players on assignments

ConsHours--long, even for Manhattan, and some of those hours are wholly unnecessary. But young associates feel the need to put in facetime.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually promote collaboration between offices

AVOID - The money is not worth the cost of your mental health

I worked at White & Case

ProsThe salary and benefits were above market average. The firm has a big global presence with a prestigious name and relatively up to date technology.

ConsThe working environment was toxic and unbearable. Very isolating and unfriendly; sometimes downright rude. The initial training was weak (2 hour IT webinar), also no three month or yearly reviews were given throughout my time. Thanks to this, there were basic things I never knew existed even after a year into my position (share drives, HR procedures, etc.). Most partners had big egos and even bigger demands, even the support staff at managerial levels and more senior positions took on egos of their own; the best supporting staff members were the best sucks ups. Money was spent frivolously by partners; junior level employees are walked over, many of whom did demeaning and tedious tasks with long hours until they crack, no stimulation and very high turnover. There was no room for growth or a way to make a valuable impact on the firm with your position: routine, mundane, and management controls all major decisions and does not take to feedback from other employees well, if listening at all. No room for mistakes, and it was always important to remember that managers and partners NEVER make mistakes and are ALWAYS right. Major lack of support and resources between New York and every other office. General disorganization with management: very segmented. Be prepared to not be respected, feel easily replaceable and get bullied into submission. AVOID.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider giving more attention to your support staff - a mentor program (new employee buddied with a veteran employee in another dept.), expand on IT and general office training for staff, work on staffing your satellite offices to better support ground needs. A lesson to the partners that support staff are not second-class citizens - a "Hello, how was your weekend" on a Monday would make the environment and dynamic so much more tolerable. Implement three month reviews and routine 'check-ins' so staff feel that they have a voice.

I had an amazing experience

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at White & Case full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSurrounded by great people that are both brilliant and easy to get along with.
You get to work on interesting projects with big clients
The firm has a great culture
The open door policy is real... most partners are very welcoming of junior associates popping in to ask questions. This is very rare at other firms.

Conslike any big law firm the hours are long and sometimes unpredictable. That is the price you pay for the high salary though

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great place for a legal assistant

Legal Assistant (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at White & Case full-time for more than a year

ProsVery professional experience, associates were respectful, exposure to lots of cases.

ConsI didn't mind the long hours, but some people might.

Extremely Poor Leadership/Commitment to Associates

Associate Attorney (Former Employee)

I worked at White & Case full-time

ProsCompensation is competitive with similar firms, large international network of clients/work.

ConsIn spite of standard big firm work loads, very little time/effort devoted to associate development; Appearances often take precedent over results; Constant drain of talent has resulted in questionable individuals being placed in leadership positions.

Associate, big law in NYC, hours are long, of course, but overall great people to work with.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at White & Case full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat clients, with a mix of interesting international work. Good people at the firm, which is important if you are going to spend so much time there! Annual review process to keep your career path focused.

ConsThe hours are brutal. 2000 billable required per year, with 1800 client chargeable, and up to 200 pro bono. Often the work load is much heavier though. Working 70 to 90 hours a week is common at least a week or two out of every month.

No room for growth, declining employee morale

Legal Secretary (Now Renamed Practice Assistant) (Current Employee)

I have been working at White & Case full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA large majority of the partners and associates here and very pleasant to work for and genuinely want the best for their support staff.

ConsPoor compensation in recent years; far below market value for such a large, well-known firm. No bonuses and raises are almost non-existent. Decreasing secretarial staff causing unmanageable work loads, not unheard of for a secretary to work for up to 10 attorneys.. once again no compensation for increase in responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementProperly compensate your support staff according to their job output. Most of us want to stay here and enjoy our respective working groups but fair is fair. It's hard to understand how a firm can have increased revenues year after year and yet when review time comes around, we get told the same story as to why we aren't getting salary increases. You have loyal, hard-working employees that deserve more and unfortunately are being forced to look for opportunities elsewhere.

A nightmare from start to finish.

I worked at White & Case as a contractor

ProsCompany has a 'good' name.

ConsNobody has a clue what they are doing. Totally dysfunctional teams of people just throwing money at projects and patting themselves on the back. Projects never complete on time and nobody cares, there is no accountability. Absolutely clueless managers who allow people to hide behind a title and bully others into submission..

Worked for White & Case? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at White & Case reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for White & Case CEO Hugh Verrier. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by White & Case employees.