WhiteHat Security

Updated January 6, 2015
Updated January 6, 2015
3.1

Jeremiah Grossman

Pros
  • Great opportunity for entry level position in an industry where most companies want someone with experience (in 4 reviews)

• Employees are good people that will gladly help with anything you ask (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As with all fast growing companies, growing pains are the nature of the beast (in 4 reviews)

• Career advancement is based on opportunity over hard work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Worth it for those that work for it.

Current Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

I work in the TRC and it has the best work/life balance I've ever experienced. You get trusted to work with minimal supervision early on, however those that consistently seem to make errors or "don't get it" probably don't feel this way since they also consistently need to be double checked. If you have learned all that you want to learn you'll get to a point to where you can work your 8 hours and more or less coast on auto pilot. Leadership opportunities appear quick relative to other companies because of the need to hire quickly.. The lack of computer science graduates with application security or any security background means that 95% of people that start out are on a more or less level playing field with their peers as far as "what they knew" coming into the industry. This means that those that are more driven to push themselves seem to rise faster up the career ladder. The culture and atmosphere is really relaxed and I typically enjoy going into work.

Cons

Starting salary is low but opportunities arise to increase it if you stand out as a leader or as a skilled engineer and are passionate about the work you do. Some people put a negative taste in culture about being underpaid, but I think they think they are more valuable than they really are since they seem to think they deserve 6 figures for being XSS hunters or recognizing error based SQL Injection(most look dumbfounded when put on the spot to exploit it). Others however are extremely skilled and inevitably leave for more established security companies that offer a larger bankroll. A few people play games or cause distractions excessively, but it's not something headphones can't let you drown out. Manager has left the Houston office to fend for itself sadly.

Encourage more anonymous feedback so that the real issues that bother people are heard.

great experience

I have been working at WhiteHat Security

Pros

great team members, all experienced

Cons

not many perks, not too flexible

Exciting opportunity under steady leadership delivering a superb product - great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Startup environment with the best work-life balance. I have never had this much fun working. Management seems to be flexible with working hours as long as assigned tasks are done. Opportunity for career growth with real leadership opportunity. Look at the customer list -- we got the great brands as our customer.

Cons

You might occasionally run across a few status quo employee. As long as you deal with them professionally you are going to be doing great.

The company needs more visibility in global space.

Going in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through of major overhaul. The leadership team is taking what was status quo and FINALLY shaking things up. I'm excited to be a part of this phase and I see that things are heading in the right direction. I work with a lot of brilliant people and it's a welcome change to see their talents being recognized and hopefully rewarded.

Cons

As with any company that's going through a facelift of sorts, it takes some getting used to. There's a nervous energy in some of the people I work with and others seem to have a wait and see attitude instead of jumping in to help. Makes for interesting work environment when you have to navigate through all the emotions.

Continue to execute the company vision. Keep the lines of communication open. Show us the progress being made no matter how small it is. We just want to see that something is starting to happen.

Great all around company! Great, fun place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive environment that breeds creativity.

Cons

Keeping up with the developing technologies

Recent structural changes have made it an even better working environment. They needed a little more company procedures put into place but with new management, they recognized that and made changes that changed the environment for the better. Also know that sr. management is creating more and more market value. Management responsive to employee needs.

Great people and atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

Working at WhiteHat with the people was an amazing experience that I will not soon forget.

Cons

Upper management with exception of a few integral people, have shifted the direction of the company in a greedy and self-destructive way, away from the preached purpose of helping secure the internet.

Communication, Communication, Communication.... one more time all together, Communication!
    Talk candidly with the people that work for you, always be sincere and honest about your intentions or desires for the company or that particular employee's job. There will be less rumor-mill, and a lot more respect.

Great culture and product.

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fun place to work! The people are very helpful and make the day to day routine very entertaining. The benefits are good and the atmosphere is very casual.

Cons

Compensation is a bit low for some departments but overall it's fair.

Communicate company vision better.

Great people, they just need some direction

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

The corporate culture is great among Engineering. Sales/Marketing is a bit cut throat, but that is the nature of those departments.

Cons

Some leadership changes have made it unclear what the company is going to be doing over the next year. It is hard to see a real direction.

Best technology in the industry, however...

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

The technology is an industry leader, period. There are many good and smart people working for WhiteHat Security.

Cons

This company is tainted with poisonous politics all the way from the top of the ladder down to the bottom. Negativity, lies and gossips run this place. Many are fearful for their future in this company. There are no clear business directions for WhiteHat to succeed. People have lost trust due to lack of leadership. Many good employees who've helped build an industry leader technology are gone. Maintaining good, talented, and passionate employees is a continual challenge for WhiteHat. People are not respected or valued at this company.

This company needs new leadership in order for it to be saved from further destruction. They do not know how to run a business. This company is in desperate need to be saved from crumbling down because there are so many broken pieces in every department and lack of support.

Work here at your own peril. Company is imploding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some very smart and good people working at WhiteHat - just not in management. There are always snacks available in the break room.

Cons

Employees are not valued. Management sees them as disposable. No career advancement. Micromanaging like I have never seen before. Employees are either layed off or quit, those left walk around on eggshells. No one is having any fun. Management is arrogant yet incompetent with no sense of direction and no one knows where the company is going or how to get there. If you take a job here, you will likely be looking again in 4-6 months.

Complete overhaul of management is needed in most areas. Employees should be valued and respected. Figure out where the company is going and communicate it. Put a plan in place to make it happen.