WhiteHat Security

Updated February 11, 2015
Updated February 11, 2015
3.1

Jeremiah Grossman

Pros
  • Great opportunity for entry level position in an industry where most companies want someone with experience (in 4 reviews)

• Employees are good people that will gladly help with anything you ask (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As with all fast growing companies, growing pains are the nature of the beast (in 4 reviews)

• Career advancement is based on opportunity over hard work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Worth it for those that work for it.

Current Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

I work in the TRC and it has the best work/life balance I've ever experienced. You get trusted to work with minimal supervision early on, however those that consistently seem to make errors or "don't get it" probably don't feel this way since they also consistently need to be double checked. If you have learned all that you want to learn you'll get to a point to where you can work your 8 hours and more or less coast on auto pilot. Leadership opportunities appear quick relative to other companies because of the need to hire quickly.. The lack of computer science graduates with application security or any security background means that 95% of people that start out are on a more or less level playing field with their peers as far as "what they knew" coming into the industry. This means that those that are more driven to push themselves seem to rise faster up the career ladder. The culture and atmosphere is really relaxed and I typically enjoy going into work.

Cons

Starting salary is low but opportunities arise to increase it if you stand out as a leader or as a skilled engineer and are passionate about the work you do. Some people put a negative taste in culture about being underpaid, but I think they think they are more valuable than they really are since they seem to think they deserve 6 figures for being XSS hunters or recognizing error based SQL Injection(most look dumbfounded when put on the spot to exploit it). Others however are extremely skilled and inevitably leave for more established security companies that offer a larger bankroll. A few people play games or cause distractions excessively, but it's not something headphones can't let you drown out. Manager has left the Houston office to fend for itself sadly.

Encourage more anonymous feedback so that the real issues that bother people are heard.

Good group of people but not a motivating environment

Former Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

Great group of people, I really had a good time with the team and felt onboarding, training was also really well done. Growth is very hard to do -- not growing a lot, new higher positions are scarce.

Cons

the long-term outlook of the company can be discouraging (though that is beginning to change) and the nebulous product can lead to a lot of unmet customer expectations.

really appreciate your efforts at attempting to move/push/change the company. i think it's moving in the right direction

Still a "Start up" after 14 years in business?!

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good product, well known and respected space in the industry. It's too bad they don't have the tools and leadership to get up off the ground.

Cons

No Leadership at the top. The founder/technical guru has been the interim leader for well over a year, but there's no leader on the business side and they can't fill the role. Horrible lack of leadership and vision in the sales organization, reps are micro-managed, stifled and not respected - resulting in huge turnover. No clear channel strategy, cant decide on channel model. No direction, they are wandering around lost in the woods without a map. Despite having a solid, leading solution, they can't grow the business. No wonder they're still stuck in "start up" mode after 14 years in business and can't grow up.

Do a clean sweep of your sales leadership and start over with a team who knows what they are doing and drives business instead of continuing a micro-managed dictatorship. Get a leader with a vision and a clear strategy to execute on the vision. Put some intelligence behind decisions rather than throwing darts in the dark and hoping something will stick.

great experience

I have been working at WhiteHat Security

Pros

great team members, all experienced

Cons

not many perks, not too flexible

Exciting opportunity under steady leadership delivering a superb product - great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Startup environment with the best work-life balance. I have never had this much fun working. Management seems to be flexible with working hours as long as assigned tasks are done. Opportunity for career growth with real leadership opportunity. Look at the customer list -- we got the great brands as our customer.

Cons

You might occasionally run across a few status quo employee. As long as you deal with them professionally you are going to be doing great.

The company needs more visibility in global space.

Going in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through of major overhaul. The leadership team is taking what was status quo and FINALLY shaking things up. I'm excited to be a part of this phase and I see that things are heading in the right direction. I work with a lot of brilliant people and it's a welcome change to see their talents being recognized and hopefully rewarded.

Cons

As with any company that's going through a facelift of sorts, it takes some getting used to. There's a nervous energy in some of the people I work with and others seem to have a wait and see attitude instead of jumping in to help. Makes for interesting work environment when you have to navigate through all the emotions.

Continue to execute the company vision. Keep the lines of communication open. Show us the progress being made no matter how small it is. We just want to see that something is starting to happen.

Great all around company! Great, fun place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive environment that breeds creativity.

Cons

Keeping up with the developing technologies

Recent structural changes have made it an even better working environment. They needed a little more company procedures put into place but with new management, they recognized that and made changes that changed the environment for the better. Also know that sr. management is creating more and more market value. Management responsive to employee needs.

Great people and atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

Working at WhiteHat with the people was an amazing experience that I will not soon forget.

Cons

Upper management with exception of a few integral people, have shifted the direction of the company in a greedy and self-destructive way, away from the preached purpose of helping secure the internet.

Communication, Communication, Communication.... one more time all together, Communication!
    Talk candidly with the people that work for you, always be sincere and honest about your intentions or desires for the company or that particular employee's job. There will be less rumor-mill, and a lot more respect.

Great culture and product.

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a fun place to work! The people are very helpful and make the day to day routine very entertaining. The benefits are good and the atmosphere is very casual.

Cons

Compensation is a bit low for some departments but overall it's fair.

Communicate company vision better.

Great people, they just need some direction

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

The corporate culture is great among Engineering. Sales/Marketing is a bit cut throat, but that is the nature of those departments.

Cons

Some leadership changes have made it unclear what the company is going to be doing over the next year. It is hard to see a real direction.