WhiteHat Security

WhiteHat Security Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014

Jeremiah Grossman

Pros
  • Great opportunity for entry level position in an industry where most companies want someone with experience (in 4 reviews)

• Employees are good people that will gladly help with anything you ask (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As with all fast growing companies, growing pains are the nature of the beast (in 4 reviews)

• Career advancement is based on opportunity over hard work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Going in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through of major overhaul. The leadership team is taking what was status quo and FINALLY shaking things up. I'm excited to be a part of this phase and I see that things are heading in the right direction. I work with a lot of brilliant people and it's a welcome change to see their talents being recognized and hopefully rewarded.

Cons

As with any company that's going through a facelift of sorts, it takes some getting used to. There's a nervous energy in some of the people I work with and others seem to have a wait and see attitude instead of jumping in to help. Makes for interesting work environment when you have to navigate through all the emotions.

Continue to execute the company vision. Keep the lines of communication open. Show us the progress being made no matter how small it is. We just want to see that something is starting to happen.

Exciting opportunity under steady leadership delivering a superb product - great place to work!

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Startup environment with the best work-life balance. I have never had this much fun working. Management seems to be flexible with working hours as long as assigned tasks are done. Opportunity for career growth with real leadership opportunity. Look at the customer list -- we got the great brands as our customer.

Cons

You might occasionally run across a few status quo employee. As long as you deal with them professionally you are going to be doing great.

The company needs more visibility in global space.

Great all around company! Great, fun place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive environment that breeds creativity.

Cons

Keeping up with the developing technologies

Recent structural changes have made it an even better working environment. They needed a little more company procedures put into place but with new management, they recognized that and made changes that changed the environment for the better. Also know that sr. management is creating more and more market value. Management responsive to employee needs.

An industry pioneer that still leads the market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing, the culture is one of a kind
    Very cool space in the market and good products
    Proud to be associated with a premium brand

Cons

No place is perfect and trying accomplish a LOT with fewer resources than we'd like is hard work
    Keep expected market adoption to grab hold, but its getting there gradually

Keep narrowing in on the strategy and areas of focus
    Continue to increase visibility for employees

A rapidly rising superstar in the security field

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Exciting field to be in and we deliver real value to our customers--protecting them from the bad guys
    * Incredible technology: SaaS product at scale developed in an agile development environment. 24x7 operations, tens of thousands of websites under our protection
    * People are stellar and I've formed lasting friendships.
    * Senior management really cares about listening to employees and making things better.

Cons

* It's a startup! The hours can be long when we need to hit our deadlines.
    * Salaries for existing employees may not be to market.

Focus on fundamentals/execution

A company in transition, realizing its potential

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I joined WhiteHat it was as a database engineer and statistical analyst. In the first months I made a graph tracking the growth in sites under service, and it was a surprisingly textbook hockey stick curve. I had to make it again earlier this year because the data analyst was on vacation and it was the exact same curve - only the numbers were different.

WhiteHat's growth has not been meteoric by the standards of silicon valley, but we have set aggressive goals and continued to meet them. I have seen us more than quadruple the total number of employees in my tenure. That has meant great opportunities for those who went after them - I moved into Product Management, saw a friend go from being a developer to the Director of Engineering, and helped an old college friend who spent years in retail finally start a career that is going somewhere.

It has also meant some dislocation with the introduction of changes necessary to support a larger organization, and with the imbalances and corrections that come with rapid growth. We went from no HR at all to a robust and active organization including internal recruitment, from Enterprise Sales only to a large and active SMB inside sales team, from two big rooms in a dumpy little building on Bunker Hill to a floor and a half of a nice glass walled building on Freedom Circle. In the process there were some real missteps, and more that reasonable people could believe were mistakes. However most of the people I knew at the beginning are still here, and we are making and meeting goals now that we would have thought impossible three years ago. I still see problems and difficulties, but that just means we have room to keep getting better and more successful.

Through all this WhiteHat has continued a to have a strong standard of excellence, even as we strive to deliver it on a broader scale. We have maintained a culture of doing the right thing and making a positive difference. It is not always easy from the inside to see how well we've done, but I've been lucky enough to not only be listening to complaints and solving problems, but to be in the room a few times when a CIO says "without you, I couldn't do my job - I'd just be waiting to take the blame."

Pros: Still "doing well by doing good", great entry level opportunities, growing organization, opportunities to advance or change career, in an interesting and growing industry, good people, increasingly excellent leadership

Cons

I find the location inconvenient - I live in SF. WhiteHat is a 10 year old late stage startup that weathered the storm, so it has some technical and organizational baggage that is still being cleared, and new organizational structures that are good but still maturing. It has also been fairly sales driven - not surprising, given growth goals - but that seems to be smoothing out. Finally there is a perception that compensation is not great - I think that's not true for more recent hires, but can be true for people who have been around a while and not asked for a lot. We still don't have a formal review process across the organization to discover and reward performance, and the only time I asked for a raise my boss had to bargain with the CEO to get it, even though it was a rather modest increase. That wouldn't happen today.

Put some structures in place to proactively reward performance. Offer career counseling, especially to members of the TRC, even if it means they will "graduate" sooner and move on to work that we don't have for them.

WhiteHat Security is an awesome company with a tremendous amount of potential to be a leader in web application security

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great time to be at WhiteHat. The company is perfectly position for the next level of success. This is the smartest group of people I've every worked with.

Cons

Employees with limited work experience don't fully appreciate our market opportunity.

Continue growing the company!!!

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Applications Security Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Security Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fun work environment, and people are friendly
    - Very open to changing processes dynamically
    - New higher level execs are pushing major boundaries and helping to bring about great growth in the company, they're doing a great job so far.

Cons

- Some management are stuck in their old ways of being a very small company
    - Sure, growing pains are there, but that can sometimes be used as an excuse for some subjects, like pay rates for technical positions.
    - No real performance grading, and some management aren't very responsive. This is changing soon according to HR, but we'll see.

Focus more on developing current products, and fixing current issues instead of constantly trying to keep up with competitors who probably don't even have the products they boast about.

Great Fast Moving Company with Lots of Opportunities

Former Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Security Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Working in the TRC is amazing. Learned a ton of stuff in 6 months.
    - Base salary is low but you get constant big bumps which gets you in line with the normal very quickly
    -Very sociable bunch of people, look forward to coming into work everyday
    - Management cares about the employees and are very friendly

Cons

- not enough development time given to improving internal tools
    - extremely sales motivated, if it's not making us money it's not important.

Hire more developers, put more resources into internal tools, more social gatherings, more offsite fun activities.

Great, fast-growing company with smart people

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and work for amazing leaders. The company advocates innovation and collaboration.

Cons

You have to try and keep up with a train moving at 200mph. Everyone moves fast.

Continue the mentoring programs, leadership sessions, and the great culture.