WhiteHat Security

Jeremiah Grossman

Currently restructuring

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong demand exists for WhiteHat's main service offering (web application vulnerability assessments), and they have good reputation in the industry and mostly happy customers. Lots of talented people working in the trenches, everyone seems professional and friendly.

ConsUpper management is mostly perceived to be incompetent. WhiteHat has lost about one-third of their employees (total) since December 2013 and about half the sales organization has quit or been laid off. Sales is a revolving door, average tenure for new hires is about 6 months regardless of performance. Wild changes in direction every quarter. Panic mentality since mid-2013.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the fact that the people who are failing are generally not the ones who are paying the price for said failures. Make people accountable for the commitments they make to their superiors and subordinates.

Engineering

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

ProsFast pace multitasking learning environment

ConsNo enough process and time to review requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementA long term vision on building product will be helpful

Great place to work, terrible salary

Applications Security Researcher (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

ProsReally interesting, fun work, lots of learning. Benefits are fantastic. Opportunities to work from home, and PTO policy is great. Management listens to concerns, and positions are very flexible if you want to work in another department.

ConsBase salary is terrible, especially compared to market rates for similar positions; benefits help but only so much. Work/life balance can be pretty hectic, especially with noisy clients or big projects. Can be monotonous when dealing with a large influx of clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease base salary. Market rates are double or even triple what new employees are paid.

Innovative environment that's suppressed by management

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Great environment
- Smart people
- Unlimited days off
- Autonomy
- On the cutting edge of web app security

Cons- Low pay
- No leadership
- Feels like you have to be apart of the "cool clique" to move forward, vs. actually being smart and wanting to apply yourself
- Lots of energy spent on politics/drama vs energy spent on product development/management/support

Advice to Senior ManagementHire talented managers that come from strong and successful backgrounds. We have a great product, a great team, and people willing to go the extra mile...if you let us. We need leadership ASAP.

It was an interesting work and learning opportunity, but it was overly casual and lacked management and feedback

Web Security Specialist (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat way to get introduced to web security
very nice people
flexible hours

Conslack of management
lack of feedback on performance
internal tools frustratingly broken at times

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized about how you manage and review your employees. If you have multiple offices in multiple cities and have been in business as long as you have, you can't claim or act like a "start-up" any more.

Great Place to Learn

I have been working at WhiteHat Security

ProsCan learn a lot in a short amount of time.
Great people to work with

ConsSenior Staff doesn't have a clear direction for the company.
Poor Compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething needs to change to get this 10 year old "start up" to IPO.

Great place to work in the beginning, but I was burnt out in the end.

Applications Security Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at WhiteHat Security full-time

Pros1.) Casual work environment
2.) Stocked kitchen with free food
3.) You get to learn about website hacking
4.) There are opportunities to learn other areas of study, if time permits.
5.) Full health insurance with close to 90% of the monthly premium paid by the company.

Cons1.) Work/life balance is non existent if you get noisy clients.
2.) Site maintenance and support tickets take time away to perform thorough assessment of websites.
3.) Career advancement is based on opportunity over hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRC upper management and Team leads:

Don't burn out your engineers, be more flexible:

1.) Allow engineers to swap sites when maintenance and support work load is too difficult.
2.) If a difficult client has more than 15 slots, don't give all the slots to one engineer. Please divide slots up evenly among your team members.
3.) When maintenance and support work gets too demanding, allow up to two weeks break from manual assessments to catch up.

Low compensation and no career growth is what you will find here.

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

ProsSome employees are wonderful. The accumulative knowledge of the industry and technology is very high.

ConsManagement is terrible. HR is terrible. Career growth is terrible. Not knowing the value of the product puts the whole company at risk. Employees don't have very much value. Someone can accuse a person of something and corrective action will be taken against that person without proper investigation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on leveraging the value of products and employees.

Dissatisfied with working environment.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of my co-workers are nice, smart and hardworking.

ConsNo clear, specific direction from management allowing the team to excel in their daily duties.
Over the past year I have noticed that what is said in Company meetings is not carried out and executed anytime there after.
There is a lack of open and honest communication with the team, which has brought moral to a low level.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your team, work with your team and be open to making changes quickly, as opposed to allowing days, weeks or even months to go by without any follow up/feedback to questions or concerns the team has.
Don't put yourself above the team.

Fun start up with some growing pains

Threat Research Center Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at WhiteHat Security full-time for more than a year

Pros1. The biggest sandbox (by far) of web applications for legal blackbox testing/hacking
2. Phenomenal entry level positions in the Threat Research Center that require little to no prior experience - something unheard of in the security field.
3. Lots of after work activities (soccer, flag football, pool, etc)
4. Tons of intelligent people who will gladly help with any side-project or program you're working on.
5. All around great culture.

Cons1. Several product managers have an inexcusable lack of knowledge about the products they manage, which results in the prioritization of various needed fixes and improvements taking very long periods of time.
2. This is a sales driven company with little focus on technical advancements and improvements.
3. Compensation in the TRC is very low. The two main reasons for this given by management are "there is no comparable market salary because the work you do is unique" and "you're gaining a lot of experience while you're here".
4. The sales department often over-promises what the TRC and Customer Support departments can do, without checking with those departments which result in unhappy customers or these departments having to go above and beyond with little to no notice.

Advice to Senior Management1. Way too many minor changes/decisions need C-level and board approval that can be handled at the management level.
2. Put more focus and resources on improving the products you sell rather than throwing money at selling them.

Worked for WhiteHat Security? Contribute to the Community!

WhiteHat Security Videos

WhiteHat Security – Why Work for Us?

If you are reading this, the Web is likely a pervasive part of your life. The Web also touches the lives of every person you know, every family member, every child, every friend, and everyone you meet. Using the Web, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WhiteHat Security reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WhiteHat Security CEO Jeremiah Grossman. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by WhiteHat Security employees.