WhitePages.com

WhitePages.com Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

WhitePages.com Founder and CEO Alex Algard

Alex Algard

Great company getting even better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThis company has a lot going for it. Yes, it runs popular websites and mobile apps, and it has a profitable business model, but first and foremost, it is the people at this company who make it so great all the way from the fresh grads out of school to the leadership. The team is stacked with experience and intelligence, without the attitude. The culture is casual and open and the team is loosely organized. The official comp policy is officially at the top of market, but it seems to come out to about 80th-90th percentile. The senior management team cares a lot about employee feedback and hosts monthly meetings to share anonymous employee feedback. The transparency within the office kills a lot of the usual office politics.

ConsNo 401k matching. There are some very smart and hard charging people on the team, which can be humbling and intimidating. Unlimited vacation policy can be misleading because the work hours are long.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep the hiring bar high! Don't lower it in your rush to expand the team.

Great company to work for

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThey have a nice work-life balance and a great office space to work in. I enjoy the adjustable height desks and casual games of magic the gathering every Thursday. The company is clearly working hard to keep people happy.

ConsI have no complaints I can think of about working here.

Interesting work, less drama than the leading brand...

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Prosinteresting work, good coworkers, excellent compensation

Conssilo'd business units don't always coordinate well

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity to Grow Your Skill Set

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWhitePages has great perks (annual outings, free Friday lunches, etc) and provides a great atmosphere for those interested in data & search
    The people that work here are smart as a whip and if you prove yourself you can learn a lot

ConsBusiness units are very disconnected from one another
    Senior management is hostile at times
    Our CFO isn't approachable and is too involved in areas that shouldn't concern him
    Our CEO lacks empathy and has unrealistic expectations
    The company lacks a cohesive strategy and changes directions every year
    If you are not a developer you'll have to create your own development and training path
    Management seems to hire and fire people in a haphazard manner

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your roots! Stop trying to make the company's leadership structure look like other big tech companies. Listen to you're people and provide solutions rather than ignoring issues.

So far so good

Director (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat culture that mixes ambitious goals with a realistic supportive workplace. Great team and a sense of mission. It's a small enough company that I have gotten to be involved in other areas of the business than what I was initially hired for. I like variety and this has been a key to my enjoyment.

ConsCompany is still implementing systems and structures. As an organization it fights the possibility of being staid and bureacratic...so we are still trying to find that balance between clear structure and yet remain loose and creative enough to really generate great services and profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great company culture

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat company culture. Focus on employee well being and happiness. Flexibility.

ConsUnclear direction for growth. Vacillation on goals and vision for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGather data about alternative approaches by doing more small projects.

It is everything I thought it would be

Director (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAmazing Executive Team
    Very high bar for Talent
    Successful business that is innovating
    Small & private
    Data, Search, Web, Mobile, new B2B, etc.
    Fun people to hang out with
    Coolest office I've ever seen

ConsNo real cons, I even commute a great distance to come in daily

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Listening to your employees, caring about your candidates, & growing our business is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Great company to work for.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Proscompany lunches and happy hours, unlimited vacation policy, interesting work, smart people, good ethics

ConsCan't think of a lot of cons. People search isn't the sexiest.

Great people, ok opportunities

Account Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people and company culture

ConsManagement not always making wisest investments, slow growth

Enjoy my workplace!

ProsI’ve seen many changes at WhitePages since I’ve been here and I see it going in the right direction! We recently had a top notch remodel in the Seattle office. It looks fantastic! We have adjustable and movable desks, ergonomic chairs, dual monitors, noise-cancelling headphones, etc. In addition, there are lots of perks working here. We have lunch and happy hour on Fridays, free snacks and beverages, convenience of onsite massages, dry-cleaning and hair-cut. I like the flexible working schedule. There are a lot of opportunities to grow here if you are willing to learn and move forward. I like that WhitePages hires interns and give them the opportunity for hands-on experience to learn and grow. (Wish I had that in my days) It’s great to see the company profitable and continue to trend upward. Love the surprises like the Fridays off in August. But last but not least, what else is not to love about WhitePages, for our company trip we went to Whistler this past January and we’re going to Las Vegas next January! After many years here, I still enjoy working at WhitePages.

ConsEven though we have high tech equipment/tools, would love to see us updating them sooner as technologies evolves so quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue motivating employees, staying involved and hiring top employees.

Worked for WhitePages.com? Contribute to the Community!