WhitePages.com

Alex Algard

So far so good

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at WhitePages.com full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat culture that mixes ambitious goals with a realistic supportive workplace. Great team and a sense of mission. It's a small enough company that I have gotten to be involved in other areas of the business than what I was initially hired for. I like variety and this has been a key to my enjoyment.

ConsCompany is still implementing systems and structures. As an organization it fights the possibility of being staid and bureacratic...so we are still trying to find that balance between clear structure and yet remain loose and creative enough to really generate great services and profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great company culture

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at WhitePages.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company culture. Focus on employee well being and happiness. Flexibility.

ConsUnclear direction for growth. Vacillation on goals and vision for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGather data about alternative approaches by doing more small projects.

It is everything I thought it would be

Director (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing Executive Team
Very high bar for Talent
Successful business that is innovating
Small & private
Data, Search, Web, Mobile, new B2B, etc.
Fun people to hang out with
Coolest office I've ever seen

ConsNo real cons, I even commute a great distance to come in daily

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Listening to your employees, caring about your candidates, & growing our business is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Great company to work for.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at WhitePages.com full-time for less than a year

Proscompany lunches and happy hours, unlimited vacation policy, interesting work, smart people, good ethics

ConsCan't think of a lot of cons. People search isn't the sexiest.

Great people, ok opportunities

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at WhitePages.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people and company culture

ConsManagement not always making wisest investments, slow growth

Enjoy my workplace!

I have been working at WhitePages.com for more than 5 years

ProsI’ve seen many changes at WhitePages since I’ve been here and I see it going in the right direction! We recently had a top notch remodel in the Seattle office. It looks fantastic! We have adjustable and movable desks, ergonomic chairs, dual monitors, noise-cancelling headphones, etc. In addition, there are lots of perks working here. We have lunch and happy hour on Fridays, free snacks and beverages, convenience of onsite massages, dry-cleaning and hair-cut. I like the flexible working schedule. There are a lot of opportunities to grow here if you are willing to learn and move forward. I like that WhitePages hires interns and give them the opportunity for hands-on experience to learn and grow. (Wish I had that in my days) It’s great to see the company profitable and continue to trend upward. Love the surprises like the Fridays off in August. But last but not least, what else is not to love about WhitePages, for our company trip we went to Whistler this past January and we’re going to Las Vegas next January! After many years here, I still enjoy working at WhitePages.

ConsEven though we have high tech equipment/tools, would love to see us updating them sooner as technologies evolves so quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue motivating employees, staying involved and hiring top employees.

Constant Strategic Shifts Coupled With a Culture of Fear

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WhitePages.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriday lunches, free drinks & snacks, downtown Seattle location, company provides top-grade equipment for employees.

ConsLong hours, high employee turnover, CEO has no consistent vision for the company and lacks empathy for employees. Culture places short-term $ ahead of user experience and long-term growth. Constant strategic shifts mean your job could be the next to go at any moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry building something that people will be proud of and stop calling the company a startup - it's a mature company that failed to grow. There's a difference.

Growing Company with a Startup Feel

I have been working at WhitePages.com full-time

ProsGreat compensation
Smart employees who work hard and enjoy their jobs
Unlimited vacation

ConsHigh level of work required. If you are not ready to wear multiple hats, probably not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring fantastic employees

A dream job

I have been working at WhitePages.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe atmosphere is really relaxed, lively and everyone just gets along. We're not a political company, we're not hierarchical, and all the C-level executives sit in desks right next to everyone else. Even though we've been very profitable for many years, we still operate with a startup mentality, which means things get done without a ton of bureaucratic bs and everyone works really, really hard. The benefits don't get much better either.

ConsEveryone will think you work for the phone book, but that's slowly changing as the brand gets more recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan our next holiday party be in Maui?

Small company with big reach

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at WhitePages.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros40 engineers addressing 40 million users means you can have huge impact as a development contributor. Big data, big audience, ambitious plans, striving for excellence, fostering innovation.

ConsOver 12 years in business with several paradigm shifting changes in direction and development philosophy means there's layers and layers of legacy systems spanning divergent levels of technological maturity spun together with gum and string. Working out of the quagmire, but it can be a burden.

Worked for WhitePages.com? Contribute to the Community!

WhitePages.com Videos

WhitePages.com – Why Work for Us?

Our Story WhitePages was founded in 1997 by Alex Algard out of his Stanford dorm room with a single vision: to help people find, be found and connect. Since then we've become the leading provider of contact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WhitePages.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WhitePages.com CEO Alex Algard. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by WhitePages.com employees.