Whitehall Of Deerfield

Great therapy team

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant  in  Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Whitehall Of Deerfield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good leadership good job ethics and morals

Cons

Commute fro the City of Chicago was extensive with heavy traffic

Coach and instruction was well given

Everything is there except for the pay

Current Employee - Kitchen
    Current Employee - Kitchen

I have been working at Whitehall Of Deerfield full-time

Pros

Friendly staff for the most part. Great potential.

Cons

Horrible Pay. You can work there for years without a pay raise while making bare minimum.

Have a better relationship with all employees. Pay employees fairly.

WHD

Former Employee - Maintenance
    Former Employee - Maintenance

I worked at Whitehall Of Deerfield full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome maintenance manager to work under

Cons

The schedule isn't as flexible there like bigger companies, due to size of the maintenance team

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once a wonderful place to work, sadly not the employer they used to be...

I worked at Whitehall Of Deerfield full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with the patients and giving the residents and their families the care and kindness that they have come to expect from this very expensive privately owned Senior Residence and Nursing Care facility.

Cons

The recent changes in administrative management. Being treated with honesty, respect, and dignity is no longer something that an emloyee can expect from the administration. I would rather think that the owners are unaware of the unhappiness throughout their group of companies rather then knowing that they condone this type of treatment of their employees.

By the nature of this business you would think that kindness, caring, professionalism, and experience would be the bywords. Not any more. The administrative management's demeanor conjurs the words bullying, distrust, disrespectful, dismissive, and bordering on Federally illegal when it comes to paying their employees for time worked.

Being a RN is satisfying when the RN's heart is centered on who they are serving and not who their employer is.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Whitehall Of Deerfield

Pros

Although the nurse/patient ratio is high, it is no higher than anywhere else that is "for profit". If you love people and love taking care of them to the best of your abilities and to the best of who you are; this place it better than any I have worked (and I have worked a bunch of them. The DON has been there > 30 years and is an "in-your-face" director but she is absolutely fair. She supports her nurses and defends the critical thinking of a good nurse even if it clashes with the MDs or the "Whitehall Way". She is also quick to pull the trigger on termination if someone knowingly violates the code of conduct; becomes a rogue individualist; or betrays the responsibility of their assigned duties. The colleagues are genuine and professional. Most of the CNAs are caring and protective of their patients.

Cons

The patient ratio is high in all areas and higher in others. But, it is manageable and gratifying once the routine is understood and the patients needs can be anticipated. The patients can be demanding as the area of Whitehall's location and patient earning history suggests. Patients are demanding by nature due to the reason for their being there (since no one is at their best when ill or in pain) but there is a sense of entitlement that is specific to the patients at Whitehall. Administration, excluding nursing administrators, seems to be on "witch hunts" at times and therefore, good people get terminated while those that know how to "work the system" remain employed.

While there are many employees who have worked at Whitehall for many years, and that is a good sign; those same employees (Nursing Administrators included) do not budge when new ways of thinking are introduced by new employees or by those with extensive education. The long-timers can be petty and territorial with regards to teams, practice, where someone sits, and/or rearranging med carts.
    Parking for the day and evening shifts is absolutely horrible. Administration is unwilling to rectify the situation to help employees who have to commit to leaving home 20 minutes early just to park once they reach the campus. While that problem loses its bite in the summer, it makes for much angst when the weather turns cold and snowy. Parking spaces are worth a bag of gold when -20 degree wind-chills pummel the employees on their way to the building after they have parked at the restaurant next door.

Former president of Cornell University, Frank H. T. Rhodes (1977-1995), thought that Donald T. Phillips' book, "Lincoln on Leadership", did a superlative job of interweaving the lessons of leadership that Lincoln personified with the best of modern thought on the subject. It would be worth my expense to have all the administrators have this book in their libraries so they can understand that leadership is something that takes a monumental amount of patience and maturity, is not easily provoked, and is earned by showing outrageous acts of charity because of who "they" are. Not because of how much they earn or where their chair is at a company banquet.

Take all the "or your will be terminated" endings off of all the requests from higher up. Understand that I will do what you request because I love what I do. Not because I am threatened.

I would like them to read Lincoln's book. Twice!

Good place to work at

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Whitehall Of Deerfield

Pros

Good pay and overall friendly staff

Cons

As a nurse you become a pill pusher and a write of TOs, POS, and MAR. Nurse to patient ratio can go anywhere from 13 to 30 depending on where you work. I get over 25 on average.

I think they do a decent job since money management is their main priority. From a nursing perspective there can always be more Nurses and CNA's.

Worked for Whitehall Of Deerfield? Contribute to the Community!