Whitepages

Updated February 13, 2015
4.7

Whitepages Founder and CEO Alex Algard
Alex Algard

Startup culture, interesting work, values employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer New Grad in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer New Grad in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages

Pros

My experience at Whitepages has been awesome. I began working there as in intern with the mobile team and am about to begin working full time after being extended an offer at the end of my internship. Some of the highlights of Whitepages are intelligent and helpful coworkers, working with new technologies to tackle big problems (my team is transitioning to Scala to scale for increasing mobile traffic), great pay and benefits, and a brand new office downtown. My internship was both challenging and rewarding; I worked with my manager to find a suitable project (both feasibility and usefulness) and was already contributing code by the end of the week. I built an internal service from scratch that is used to manage all of the user messages that pop up in our mobile applications and I had the freedom to design and build the service and get guidance when I needed it. The mobile team (and other developers I worked with) was very friendly and there was a good mix of senior and junior developers. I learned a lot during my internship and had a lot of fun while I was there (we had great intern events like mini-golfing and whirlyball!). Whitepages has a great environment and future prospects; I am excited to begin full time work there.

Cons

Independence was a double edged sword for my internship. I appreciated the autonomy most of the time but I actually finished my intern project earlier than expected and had a few days where there wasn't much to do (probably exacerbated by the fact that I didn't have enough time to start anything too substantial).

Keep on valuing your developers as you have been and try to keep our startup culture even as we continue to grow as a company.

Best of big and small company culture - leave Silicon Valley and come to Seattle!

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I left Silicon Valley for this internship and couldn't have been happier with the choice. I applied after going a party at Whitepages with a current employee and good friend. The people here were (and are) great and I felt comfortable with literally everyone I met, something I can't say is true for most software companies.

As far as internships go, this was probably the most fun and nuturing one I've had as well as the most stressful - but in a good way! It seemed like every intern got a concrete and interesting project to work on. I worked with the fairly small Pro team, for business-facing services. Most of the Pro Engineering team actually works in Hungary, but I worked with a small team in the Seattle office. Initially my intern project was a fairly small (read: doable in a summer) Ruby service. That got turned around the week before I arrived, and my project changed into a much larger Scala service to be jointly worked on with other full-time engineers. Being completely new to both Scala and functional programming, I definitely learned a ton during the internship about different styles and better code design as well as a new and increasingly popular language, which is always a plus.

Additionally, I was very impressed by the mentorship and the general treatment of interns as basically short-term full-time engineers. Everyone at the company works hard and is very, very good at what they do. It's very refreshing to feel like you can learn so much from the people you work with. What's even better is that all these smart people are super helpful and willing to discuss your work or attend numerous code reviews.

In terms of more official management, I was assigned a mentor to work day-to-day and a higher-up manager. My mentor was very attentive and great at encouraging me to work on my own while still providing enough guidance so I could grow. Even with a full team of engineers to take care of, my manager put the effort into meeting individually with every engineer and intern on the team to discuss any concerns about project direction or my mentor. Both also offered career advice and guidance about how to best show I deserved an offer, something that I felt really set this internship apart from previous ones. The internship was clearly intended for personal growth - even if I eventually didn't go with Whitepages, they gave us the opportunities to make connections and learn future career skills. We had regular check-ins with both managers and HR/recruiting about how the internship was going and even got to have coffee chats with the CEO, CTO, and CFO to ask anything we wanted. Overall I felt very well taken care of.

But enough about work - let's talk about play! Work balance was excellent - the cultural idea of "overworked people are less efficient". The offices are fairly new and equipment is easy to get. There's a a well-stocked kitchen, kegerator with rotating local brews, and and upper-end bar worthy alcohol display. Compensation for the internship as well as my full-time offer was comparable and in some cases even more than larger companies in the area and around the Bay. We had regular company or team lunches and happy hours, as well as internship events including Whiffleball, a brusing but fun experience in bumpercart sports, and mini-golf with beer.

I really enjoyed the experience and was very excited to receive an offer. I accepted and will be starting soon!

tl;dr: Excellent mentorship, learned a ton even with a slightly rough start, especially in terms of practical software design. Great company perks with lots of fun. Beer. As hoped, I was offered a job and accepted.

Cons

I had a rough start at the beginning of my internship with both the scope of the project and learning a fairly different style of programming. My mentor was a bit busy initially and the project scope had changed enough to be a bit disorganized, so I flailed a bit initially. However, I was grateful to get the chance to work with such a big and important project and I got much more mentorship and structure after the initial part, so it's probably because of the rare last minute pivot to a big project rather than a common internship theme.

I had a great experience as a summer intern and signed full time at the end.

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked on the CoreSite team, which is responsible for all of the websites owned by Whitepages. My official intern project consisted of working on an internal service used by customer service and it was a great way to ramp up. I had never used a lot of the technologies there, so it was a great way to familiarize myself with all of them. My project began by addressing some bugs that the service had, but I eventually got to implement a few new features in it, too.

Throughout the process, my team was a powerful asset. My mentor was always available to answer all of my questions or look over a code review and the rest of the team made sure that I felt welcome and a part of the team. Team lunches were common and we even went to a bar a few times to watch the World Cup games.

As interns, we got to go out a few times with our mentors for some bonding events. Our first event, minigolf, involved busing to the local putt-putt range and buying several pitchers of beer, then heading out to the greens. Beer and minigolf may seem like an odd combination, but it was perfect for getting to know the other interns and mentors; I had a blast! Another event involved "Whirlyball", which I can only describe as something like lacrosse and bumper cars. We spent the day playing it and had another fantastic experience bonding over food, alcohol, and fun.

As my internship reached its end, I found myself doing more and more work on the public-facing websites. During a major redesign of the main site, our main UX developer gave me a couple tasks to work on because he was swamped. I was hooked! I began transitioning from mainly working on back-end services to front-end and realized that this was where my true passion lay.

At the end of my internship, I received an offer for a full-time position after I finished school and a part-time offer for the school year. I accepted both and have not regretted my decision at all.

Cons

Some of our releases can be hectic. During one release, we began work to merge a major new feature in at 9 AM and didn't finish until around 8 PM that day. Personally, this isn't a huge con for me because I love the fact that we don't settle for mediocrity; we stay until things work perfectly.

A fantastic opportunity for a software engineer intern

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I came to Whitepages as an intern for the backend mobile team. Prior to my time here, I had no experience developing software professionally, but Whitepages made this transition easy. Throughout the full duration of my employment I found myself surrounded by tremendously intelligent engineers who were always happy to lend a helping hand. Furthermore, the outings and happy hours made the experience as fun as it was educational. Perhaps the best part of my internship was that it ended with a job offer! I'm excited to be returning back to the company in the Summer.

All interns were given specific projects to work on over the summer. My job was to replace an existing web service with a new, fully rewritten version. While the service used to handle its demand adequately, it had proven to scale poorly. Additionally, the service had mediocre documentation and horribly confusing code organization. I was to rewrite the service in Scala using Futures for parallelism, design an easy to understand code layout, and improve the documentation. The task was quite large, but its many obstacles opened tremendous opportunities for my growth as a programmer. Over the course of the project I had the fortune of gaining experience with Scala, parallel programming, functional programming, RESTful web services, performance testing, documentation tools, and much more!

My time at Whitepages was as fun as it was productive. Every other Friday involved a themed happy hour, hosted by a different team each time. These happy hours were made possible by the kegerator and whiskey bar in the common area of the office. Interns got to take part in intern outings to play mini golf and whirleyball, which is a ridiculous combination of basketball, lacrosse, and bumper cars. Whenever there was a day without an event, the Razor scooters scattered around the office provided a fun way to get around.

To any computer science student, I would highly recommend interning at Whitepages. The experience was fun, educational, and paid well.

Cons

My mentor had recommended that I give a number of tech talks while I was at Whitepages. While this wasn’t required, I was afraid to disappoint my mentor, and therefor I accepted the challenge. This endeavor was frustrating to say the least. While I loved the engineering aspects of the internship, these presentation ended up occupying way too much of my time. For a couple weeks I dreaded coming into the office knowing that nearly all my time would be sucked away by these presentations. The main project ended up not being completed as a result.

Not everyone will experience this, and honestly I should have spoken up about my dissatisfaction soon than I did. Regardless, it was definitely the biggest con of the experience.

Employees are given many opportunities to give feedback; the work is challenging and rewarding; the culture is up-beat. My only advice is to keep it up!

Great place to work!!

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Everyone here is very passionate about the product, their responsibilities, and doing the best they can. There are the perks around the office that are obviously very attractive; free food ALL THE TIME, kegerator, happy hour in the office, annual company retreat, etc. But what is promising is all of the opportunities to grow. There are frequent optional lunch meetings to learn about what other teams are working on and each employee has a budget for their own professional training.

I also really like that there is no tried and true method of doing your job. This company is growing and management is always open to hearing new ideas of how to approach situations or how to improve our product. I really feel like I am heard in this company and that my ideas are taken into strong consideration.

The company culture is fun, casual and welcoming. This is my first time working in an open office environment, but I do like being able to interact with my team more frequently. But if I do need to be alone, I crash on one of the many giant bean bag chairs in front of a window with a beautiful view, zone out with my head phones and work through my emails.

I love working with this company and love working with my team. Everyone is very supportive of one another and always willing to help. And everyone at this company is ridiculously smart! This company is absolutely growing and it would be a smart decision to join on.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons yet ::knock on wood::

Keep doing what you're doing!!

Whitepages is an innovative, growing, fun, and exciting company to work for in the Seattle area.

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Culture: The office is awesome!
    - People: The people are smart and my opinion matters.
    - Products: Whitepages is continually improving the product.

Cons

- No 401k matching.

No other cons at the moment.

My advice to management is to continue to create a great office atmosphere and allow the employees to openly share their opinions. As the company continues to grow, I would add 401k matching.

Great place to work - great people!

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of potential to make money, growing company that is getting better, compensation is very competitive, CEO of the company will provide whatever necessary for you to succeed, people listen to your needs. Overall this is a caring group that sticks together that sets you up for success.

Cons

None that I can think of! Even if there were any cons, the pros overshadow them :)

Keep doing what you are doing !

A Wonderful Company To Work For In The Emerald City

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Whitepages has highly competitive benefits alongside a truly collaborative culture. The environment is casual, as you'd expect at a Seattle-based tech firm (I was told not to wear a suit to my interview, and I'm in sales.). Another great perk is that you will definitely get the equipment you need in order to get your job done. There is a small company feel to the place - folks are super friendly.

Location is great - right in the heart of downtown Seattle with easy access to public transportation. The offices are beautiful and recently renovated. Additionally, there's plenty of great food and drink to be had. Upper management is probably the most transparent of any company that I have worked for. Unlike the majority of places I've been before, Whitepages actively encourages professional development and gives employees a yearly allowance for more schooling, training, etc.

I am still new, but I have yet to see anything that sets off the alarm bells. There are a lot of smarts in these halls, but not a lot of ego. You get the feeling that people want to continuously improve and make things work better, whether internally or for our clients.

Finally, the application and interview processes were super transparent. Every interaction has been a pleasure.

Cons

If you are big on having your own office this is probably not the place for you as the recently renovated space is very open. The unlimited vacation policy doesn't apply to hourly employees.

Stay transparent and communicative - the employees love knowing where we are going!

WORK Hard PLAY Hard

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages

Pros

The best work environment I've worked in by far! There are so many company perks given to employees (whether you are hourly or salaried) that out-weigh the starting pay. Company trips, team building/social events, free food (snacks,breakfast, lunch on most days, even dinner now for people who stay late), happy hours, basically free ORCA card, unlimited PTO, the list goes on and on.

Everyone is very welcoming and interested in getting to know you and how you like working at Whitepages. While there are many different teams, the office is not broken up into cliques and it is very easy to meet people.

Everyone is very intelligent and passionate about what they do!

Cons

Fast paced work environment (which I happen to like) but you have to be very organized to not let it get the best of you.

Training could use more structure.

Keep making it a fun place to work where people enjoy spending time!

I absolutely love work at Whitepages. It is a great company with a powerful mission.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages

Pros

Great benefits and culture. The people who work at Whitepages help make it so amazing.

Cons

Lack of visibility for movement between departments. I never know when someone has changed positions, mainly because there is not a large focus on job titles at Whitepages.

NA