Whitepages Reviews

Reset
4.5
Whitepages Founder and CEO Alex Algard
Alex Algard

Pros
  • They have a nice work-life balance and a great office space to work in (in 4 reviews)

• Good people who are easy to work with throughout the company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Business units are very disconnected from one another (in 2 reviews)

• As a front-end developer, the advertising tactics requested by the product owners distract too much from the great services put forth, e (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

I have been with Whitepages for four months now and am really enjoying the company so far. The work life balance is excellent, and the perks of the Seattle office are the best I have seen in a company yet. We have a full bar and three kegs on tap, a masseuse three days a week, almost any kind of food/drink you can think of, and an annual employee trip to a fun destination each year. Did I mention bean bags and hammocks everywhere? Long story short, the office is a very creative space that allows employees to not feel congested with sitting at their desk starting at an interior wall all day. (All desks are on the outside perimeter of the office floor, so you have a view.)

Cons

The training program when I started was lacking structure. Since November, it has significantly improved and you can always find a friendly coworker willing to answer any questions you might have.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the good work and excellent product launches, but lets watch our growth over the next year. Adding to many employees to fast when you do not have the correct tools in place for them to succeed could hurt the overall business; while it also dilutes employee resources.

Whitepages Response

Apr 20, 2015 – Head of HR & Recruiting

Thanks for the feedback! We are in the process of revamping our training program and input like yours helps us know we are heading in the right direction. If you have particular suggestions please ... More

2. Startup culture, interesting work, values employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer New Grad in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer New Grad in Seattle, WA

Pros

My experience at Whitepages has been awesome. I began working there as in intern with the mobile team and am about to begin working full time after being extended an offer at the end of my internship. Some of the highlights of Whitepages are intelligent and helpful coworkers, working with new technologies to tackle big problems (my team is transitioning to Scala to scale for increasing mobile traffic), great pay and benefits, and a brand new office downtown. My internship was both challenging and rewarding; I worked with my manager to find a suitable project (both feasibility and usefulness) and was already contributing code by the end of the week. I built an internal service from scratch that is used to manage all of the user messages that pop up in our mobile applications and I had the freedom to design and build the service and get guidance when I needed it. The mobile team (and other developers I worked with) was very friendly and there was a good mix of senior and junior developers. I learned a lot during my internship and had a lot of fun while I was there (we had great intern events like mini-golfing and whirlyball!). Whitepages has a great environment and future prospects; I am excited to begin full time work there.

Cons

Independence was a double edged sword for my internship. I appreciated the autonomy most of the time but I actually finished my intern project earlier than expected and had a few days where there wasn't much to do (probably exacerbated by the fact that I didn't have enough time to start anything too substantial).

Advice to Management

Keep on valuing your developers as you have been and try to keep our startup culture even as we continue to grow as a company.

Senior Software Developer

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

Engineers are given a great deal of freedom to build software in the ways that they feel are best. The environment is very open and collaborative within engineers on the same team.

Cons

Whitepages has a culture that embraces blame. Much of the company lives in fear of being blamed by C-level executives for unmet expectations and therefor has no appetite for risk. Product and middle management are constantly fighting and throwing eachother under the bus so as to deflect that incoming blame. There is no trust at Whitepages by management at the C-level and therefor all kinds of micro-management tactics have been put in place. There is also a cultural divide among the engineering teams that isn't being addressed. This ranges from technology/language choices to how they interface with eachother. The people in a position to address this are ignoring this part of their job. Teams regularly talk bad about the other teams behind their back. Finally, the things that engineers are building are neither new nor innovative. In fact the things Whitepages engineers are building are just rewrites of things the company has rewritten at least 3-4 times and the same mistakes are being made. There's a lot of "re-arranging deck chairs" feeling going on.

Advice to Management

Stop punishing failure and instead embrace the learnings gained by failure. Start trusting the engineers you've hired to do their job. End the culture of blame and integrate the departments more tightly.

Whitepages Response

Apr 14, 2015 – Head of HR & Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback - we always want to hear the good and not-so-good feedback directly from our co-workers. With multiple product lines, global launches, and aggressive growth goals, we’re ... More

5. Great place to work!!

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Everyone here is very passionate about the product, their responsibilities, and doing the best they can. There are the perks around the office that are obviously very attractive; free food ALL THE TIME, kegerator, happy hour in the office, annual company retreat, etc. But what is promising is all of the opportunities to grow. There are frequent optional lunch meetings to learn about what other teams are working on and each employee has a budget for their own professional training. I also really like that there is no tried and true method of doing your job. This company is growing and management is always open to hearing new ideas of how to approach situations or how to improve our product. I really feel like I am heard in this company and that my ideas are taken into strong consideration. The company culture is fun, casual and welcoming. This is my first time working in an open office environment, but I do like being able to interact with my team more frequently. But if I do need to be alone, I crash on one of the many giant bean bag chairs in front of a window with a beautiful view, zone out with my head phones and work through my emails. I love working with this company and love working with my team. Everyone is very supportive of one another and always willing to help. And everyone at this company is ridiculously smart! This company is absolutely growing and it would be a smart decision to join on.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons yet ::knock on wood::

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!

6. Whitepages is an innovative, growing, fun, and exciting company to work for in the Seattle area.

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Culture: The office is awesome! - People: The people are smart and my opinion matters. - Products: Whitepages is continually improving the product.

Cons

- No 401k matching. No other cons at the moment.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue to create a great office atmosphere and allow the employees to openly share their opinions. As the company continues to grow, I would add 401k matching.

7. Great place to work - great people!

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of potential to make money, growing company that is getting better, compensation is very competitive, CEO of the company will provide whatever necessary for you to succeed, people listen to your needs. Overall this is a caring group that sticks together that sets you up for success.

Cons

None that I can think of! Even if there were any cons, the pros overshadow them :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing !

8. A Wonderful Company To Work For In The Emerald City

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Whitepages has highly competitive benefits alongside a truly collaborative culture. The environment is casual, as you'd expect at a Seattle-based tech firm (I was told not to wear a suit to my interview, and I'm in sales.). Another great perk is that you will definitely get the equipment you need in order to get your job done. There is a small company feel to the place - folks are super friendly. Location is great - right in the heart of downtown Seattle with easy access to public transportation. The offices are beautiful and recently renovated. Additionally, there's plenty of great food and drink to be had. Upper management is probably the most transparent of any company that I have worked for. Unlike the majority of places I've been before, Whitepages actively encourages professional development and gives employees a yearly allowance for more schooling, training, etc. I am still new, but I have yet to see anything that sets off the alarm bells. There are a lot of smarts in these halls, but not a lot of ego. You get the feeling that people want to continuously improve and make things work better, whether internally or for our clients. Finally, the application and interview processes were super transparent. Every interaction has been a pleasure.

Cons

If you are big on having your own office this is probably not the place for you as the recently renovated space is very open. The unlimited vacation policy doesn't apply to hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent and communicative - the employees love knowing where we are going!

9. WORK Hard PLAY Hard

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

Pros

The best work environment I've worked in by far! There are so many company perks given to employees (whether you are hourly or salaried) that out-weigh the starting pay. Company trips, team building/social events, free food (snacks,breakfast, lunch on most days, even dinner now for people who stay late), happy hours, basically free ORCA card, unlimited PTO, the list goes on and on. Everyone is very welcoming and interested in getting to know you and how you like working at Whitepages. While there are many different teams, the office is not broken up into cliques and it is very easy to meet people. Everyone is very intelligent and passionate about what they do!

Cons

Fast paced work environment (which I happen to like) but you have to be very organized to not let it get the best of you. Training could use more structure.

Advice to Management

Keep making it a fun place to work where people enjoy spending time!

10. Just What I Hoped It Would Be!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a new, full-time employee with Whitepages, and this position is everything I hoped it would be. The physical space is open with no separate offices which I feel cultivates teamwork, and makes everyone very approachable. The setting is clean and modern, and the views are beautiful from the 16th and 17th floor of the Rainier Tower in Seattle, WA. I appreciate the casual environment, and friendly atmosphere. In my short time with Whitepages there have been several opportunities for team building. And where else can you work where you have face to face time with the CEO every other week? The hiring process was thorough, but never before have I felt so comfortable during a job interview. The recruiter and HR team were very helpful and kind throughout the process (and continue to be so). I think the benefits are competitive, and I feel cared about as an individual. Most importantly, the people in the company have been incredibly friendly, helpful, and welcoming. What a great place to work!

Cons

My position requires me to work with the public, and sometimes it's not an enjoyable interaction.

11. I absolutely love work at Whitepages. It is a great company with a powerful mission.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great benefits and culture. The people who work at Whitepages help make it so amazing.

Cons

Lack of visibility for movement between departments. I never know when someone has changed positions, mainly because there is not a large focus on job titles at Whitepages.

Advice to Management

NA

RSS Feed </> Embed