Whitepages

Updated January 29, 2015
4.3

Whitepages Founder and CEO Alex Algard
Alex Algard

Tremendous growth company with products people don't even know about and more visitors to the core website than ESPN

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

Smart people with interesting products and a big big big growth plan. You code on day 1 and your impact is LARGE. They pay really well and are getting better about removing people who don't perform before they reap havoc. Unlimited vacation (well, that is a misnomer bc you can't really take more than 4 weeks without business impact), training budget (who has those anymore), a willingness to switch to new cool products (Scala) when the rest of the world is still moving to Ruby. options that I think may actually mean something vs some of my other startups, company trips to Vegas, Whistler, and Bend, a kegerator and a well stocked whisky wall, lunch with the CEO every other week and happy hour every other Friday. Too many things.

Cons

sometimes we have to do work twice or three times because the directions initially are not complete from the product team so the features change and the product slips. It's improving on one team with the arrival of the EVP of Product though and I'm betting we get this humming soon.

More positive feedback. Thanks for the engagement survey. Look at the disconnect between product, design and engineering and fix it with better product plans and not adding features to the sprints at the last minute. I want to do great work but lose motivation when the work I do today has to be redone tomorrow and better up front planning will stop that. The projects themselves are fun and i can't wait to see how far CallerID flies with it's new upgrade.

Awesome I was given alot of responsibility but also held accountable

I have been working at Whitepages

Pros

I love everything about it plus the employees I work with

Cons

I don't have any cons

Good company--not perfect

Former Employee - Senion Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senion Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Highly skilled, driven, passionate, and helpful people.

Cons

Leadership tends to fail on followthrough.

Enjoyable but question long term prospects

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment and colleagues, enjoyable place to work

Cons

Felt there was a general lack of strategic direction. Some management decisions were questionable and it seemed the company would put forth weak efforts in several directions to see what took. In the end, nothing was pursued intensively enough to succeed so it felt like we were always chasing the latest flavor of the month with no clear long term direction.

Be more decisive and commit to a strategy, and communicate our direction to employees. Lessen the politics also.

An amazing place for interns

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Of all the internships I have done, WhitePages was the best. The management is so friendly and accessible, they are small in size while taking on big tasks, and I even got to work on projects outside of my scope. Senior managers took time out of their day not only to ask me about how I am doing, but to teach me new things and help me. And the internship program is miraculously designed, with free food and free perks as well.

Cons

Honestly, none (for an intern).

Keep being friendly and maintaining a strong internship program

Great Culture, Great People, Headed in the right direction.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance. They seem to promote from inside.
    Unlimited time-off.
    Kegerator in the office and plenty of snacks, stand-up desks. Happy hours and Friday Lunches.
    Good people who are easy to work with throughout the company.
    Excellent Benefits
    Flat Hierarchy

Cons

None so far. Seems like a good company with it's head screwed on straight. The only thing that could be improved is some delays in the hiring and interview process.

Keep up the good work, seems like a good plan, execute it.

Great company getting even better

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

This company has a lot going for it. Yes, it runs popular websites and mobile apps, and it has a profitable business model, but first and foremost, it is the people at this company who make it so great all the way from the fresh grads out of school to the leadership. The team is stacked with experience and intelligence, without the attitude. The culture is casual and open and the team is loosely organized. The official comp policy is officially at the top of market, but it seems to come out to about 80th-90th percentile. The senior management team cares a lot about employee feedback and hosts monthly meetings to share anonymous employee feedback. The transparency within the office kills a lot of the usual office politics.

Cons

No 401k matching. There are some very smart and hard charging people on the team, which can be humbling and intimidating. Unlimited vacation policy can be misleading because the work hours are long.

Continue to keep the hiring bar high! Don't lower it in your rush to expand the team.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They have a nice work-life balance and a great office space to work in. I enjoy the adjustable height desks and casual games of magic the gathering every Thursday. The company is clearly working hard to keep people happy.

Cons

I have no complaints I can think of about working here.

Interesting work, less drama than the leading brand...

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Whitepages full-time

Pros

interesting work, good coworkers, excellent compensation

Cons

silo'd business units don't always coordinate well

Great Opportunity to Grow Your Skill Set

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WhitePages has great perks (annual outings, free Friday lunches, etc) and provides a great atmosphere for those interested in data & search
    The people that work here are smart as a whip and if you prove yourself you can learn a lot

Cons

Business units are very disconnected from one another
    Senior management is hostile at times
    Our CFO isn't approachable and is too involved in areas that shouldn't concern him
    Our CEO lacks empathy and has unrealistic expectations
    The company lacks a cohesive strategy and changes directions every year
    If you are not a developer you'll have to create your own development and training path
    Management seems to hire and fire people in a haphazard manner

Go back to your roots! Stop trying to make the company's leadership structure look like other big tech companies. Listen to you're people and provide solutions rather than ignoring issues.

Whitepages Response

Sep 5, 2014Talent Outreach Manager

Thanks for providing your feedback. Your concerns have been acknowledged and are appreciated. We strongly encourage you to have an open and honest conversation with your manager regarding these ... More