Whiting-Turner

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
3.5

Timothy Regan

Pros
  • job security for the employees is a high priority to senior management (in 10 reviews)

• Plenty of good benefits, and the job security is better than any other company that I've seen out there (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours are expected out of salaried employees (in 9 reviews)

• see comment about profit sharing) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Company, Leaves Me Wanting

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very responsive and personal
    Great Community
    Excellent Reputation as a company
    Company Focuses on Retaining employees
    Great opportunities for continued learning

Cons

Need to know someone to get inside
    Low pay compared to comparable companies
    Not many opportunities for innovation or creativity

Continue to support the intern program as it reflects the interest of college Juniors and Seniors. People understand and respect the reputation of WT and it shows when speaking to my peers in similar fields. However, this position is among the lowest-paying internship options available to students at my level.

Good people, but bad working conditions & pay

Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- The best part of my experience was the people. Almost everyone I worked with were fun, nice, smart people.
    - You will NOT lose your job. Even if you are dead weight, you will get shuffled around from project to project but still collect a paycheck. They hire for life.

Cons

- You will work minimum 50 hours per week, more like 60-70.
    - You will work weekends -- my experience was 1/4 weekends. There is no formal policy for getting a comp day, I had to work out a "one comp for two weekends" deal.
    - You will travel. A lot. It is expected, non-negotiable. Good luck if you have a family and kids that you actually like to spend time with. Commuting 2 hrs each way with a newborn son at home was the last straw for me.
    - Out of town compensation is minimal. If you don't want to live out of your RV or in a filthy extended stay, you will almost lose money being out of town.
    - Mileage reimbursement is minimal thanks to a 40 mile "minimum expected commute", even if you live right next door to the main office.
    - You will get promoted every 3 years unless you aren't good at your job. But no sooner.
    - Little acknowledgement of outstanding effort or skills. No value placed on self improvement / additional training.
    - Pay is about $10K less than competitors.
    - Management is slow to change or improve.
    - Company stock is worthless unless you stay there for 15 years.
    - Main office is an embarrassment. Falling apart, leaking, etc. For a company that prides itself on constructing excellent buildings, the main office is a complete joke.
    - Employee loyalty feels great while you are in it, but upon reflection if almost seems cult-like. "We are the best construction company. We are the best construction company"

- Invest in your employees. Realize when they are unhappy, and try to help things get better. Promote healthier living. Let them come home to their families more. Improve out of town hours (shouldn't have to drive out of town Sunday night and then arrive back at 11pm on a Friday).
    - Invest in technology, let's get some mobile technology going. Integrate your programs together so you don't have to double enter everything (cms, prolog, workflow)
    - Improve the perks. In other companies, company cars come much earlier (you have to wait until PM / Superintendent 3, which is about 12 years in)

Great Company

Current Employee - Payroll Assistant in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Payroll Assistant in Towson, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company, good work-life balance

Cons

benefits, promotions, some days are better than others

Need to really love this industry to fit in

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Offer a lot of good benefits and job security
    Pay is about average
    Offers a lot of freedom in the workplace
    A great place to gain experience

Cons

Poor direction by management
    Long hours are expected out of salaried employees
    Some project teams are a lot farther behind in terms of technology, management, and overall work ethic
    From my experience, vacations and personal time is frowned upon

Bump up the salaries just a little bit
    Be more flexible with vacation and personal time
    Not everyone is in this industry because they want to work 70 hours a week, and a lot of good people leave because of it

Great People to Work for

Current Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Doesn't take long for them to give you freedom to work. higher ups don't micromanage and trust that you can handle what they give you. Very willing to give you better opportunities to succeed outside your comfort zone.

Cons

Very long hours. Don't plan on leaving when you hit that 8 hour mark. You may even be required to work a weekend here or there depending on the job.

Construction manager mid-level

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Small company feel, work in small groups. But every group operates a little different. To be specific about the S.O.P. you have to work for that group. W-T is like any other company, they are in business to make money.

Cons

Very long work hours, project after project it never lets up. The more you put in the more they expect of you. If your a real go getter and do what ever it takes to get the job done their is no real reward. You just proved you will do the job no matter the personal cost and they put you on the next even tougher job. Low average pay.

The projects are very demanding and their is no other way around that. Find way to offer more time off.

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - APM in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - APM in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner

Pros

Job security. If you are career minded, with no questions asked, this would be a quality employer.

Decent pay, but lower than the industry median. Benefits are standard, with flex spending.

Promote from within.

Cons

No merit based promotions, or raises.

Ask not what the company can do for you, ask what you can do for the company ideology.

Long hours. A lot of out of town work (worked for them for 4 years, out of town jobs for the duration). Per diems and out of town assistance varies by employee, and is rather poor.

Little guidance from the start. Jobs are usually poorly manned (completed 15 million over the past year - 2 men; 1 Super, and myself). Man power is shuffled continuously.

Upper management takes little interest in the job.

It is a popularity contest of who you work for, or who you know. A lot of poor employees, but no pink slips. This causes dead weight, and cause the lack of promotions.

If you want to retain quality young employees, do some house cleaning. There are so many poor Superintendents, and PM's. All I hear about is how lazy the younger generation is, no commitment to the company. You must show some commitment to these employees. Otherwise, WT is just another company with the same rhetoric.

Don't "pigeon hole" your employees. Allow flexibility within groups, and on projects. Balance out of town projects with other offices.

Communication, communication, communication. We're in an industry where this is critical, yet there is no communication from the top down.

positive experience working at WT

I have been working at Whiting-Turner

Pros

stable employment, learned valuable job skills, overall friendly work enviroment

Cons

as with any construction job,sometimes the travel to and from the job site gets to you

in this economy, the're doing a great job

Great place to work

I have been working at Whiting-Turner

Pros

I chose Whiting-Turner because it is a company with solid ethics and responsible leadership. I am learning every facet of construction management.

Cons

I would like more vacation time but jobs are run on a tight schedule and time away from the job means work going unmanaged.

I think management does a great job. I'd like to see management get more involved with group meetings including young engineers.

good co.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner

Pros

quality people with good leadership skills.

Cons

limited mobility within certain departments.

value your people.