Whiting-Turner Reviews

Timothy Regan

1. Interned with WT for a summer

Former Intern - Project Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Project Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner as an intern

Pros

They really care about their employees and want interns to learn

Cons

Early hours, but that's construction as a whole

2. No work-life balance

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner

Pros

Alright pay
    Alright benefits
    Commuter financial support

Cons

Not a lot of vacation
    Zero work-life balance
    Terrible hours
    Headquarters in Baltimore very disorganized

3. Great teaching and experience but hard to move up and make more money

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with tons of great people and the job is never boring. I have gained a lot of experience in a short period of time. This job also allows me to do many different things and gain experience in all of them. I touch on accounting, scheduling, field supervision, quality control, and billing. I enjoy the team environment and the fact that this is not a cut throat company, but we can all succeed together.

Cons

It is easy to feel under appreciated and overworked here. I definitely get the impression that raises and promotions are not as based on performance as they are on time spent with the company. Harder to stay motivated in that environment.

Would be helpful to feel a though performance were more of way to set oneself apart.

Work Hard No Acknowledgement

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The set up of the individual groups keeps you working with the same people. You get to know how the other works and what works well within the team. Also, each group is responsible for finding bidding and building each project they do. This gets you very familiar with the project and awards you with a sense of responsibility and accomplishment for each project.

Cons

Technology is old within the company and any movement towards advancement receives push back from upper management due to cost. Lies are filter down to push employees. There are no incentives to work hard or put extra hours in, the ladder is what it is and you will not be rewarded for hard work. Pay is low compared to other GCs. There is no real training for employees.

Show more appreciation for your employees. Provide real training. Upgrade your internal systems.

6. Excellent Company, Leaves Me Wanting

Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Management is very responsive and personal
    Great Community
    Excellent Reputation as a company
    Company Focuses on Retaining employees
    Great opportunities for continued learning

Cons

Need to know someone to get inside
    Low pay compared to comparable companies
    Not many opportunities for innovation or creativity

Continue to support the intern program as it reflects the interest of college Juniors and Seniors. People understand and respect the reputation of WT and it shows when speaking to my peers in similar fields. However, this position is among the lowest-paying internship options available to students at my level.

Good people, but bad working conditions & pay

Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- The best part of my experience was the people. Almost everyone I worked with were fun, nice, smart people.
    - You will NOT lose your job. Even if you are dead weight, you will get shuffled around from project to project but still collect a paycheck. They hire for life.

Cons

- You will work minimum 50 hours per week, more like 60-70.
    - You will work weekends -- my experience was 1/4 weekends. There is no formal policy for getting a comp day, I had to work out a "one comp for two weekends" deal.
    - You will travel. A lot. It is expected, non-negotiable. Good luck if you have a family and kids that you actually like to spend time with. Commuting 2 hrs each way with a newborn son at home was the last straw for me.
    - Out of town compensation is minimal. If you don't want to live out of your RV or in a filthy extended stay, you will almost lose money being out of town.
    - Mileage reimbursement is minimal thanks to a 40 mile "minimum expected commute", even if you live right next door to the main office.
    - You will get promoted every 3 years unless you aren't good at your job. But no sooner.
    - Little acknowledgement of outstanding effort or skills. No value placed on self improvement / additional training.
    - Pay is about $10K less than competitors.
    - Management is slow to change or improve.
    - Company stock is worthless unless you stay there for 15 years.
    - Main office is an embarrassment. Falling apart, leaking, etc. For a company that prides itself on constructing excellent buildings, the main office is a complete joke.
    - Employee loyalty feels great while you are in it, but upon reflection if almost seems cult-like. "We are the best construction company. We are the best construction company"

- Invest in your employees. Realize when they are unhappy, and try to help things get better. Promote healthier living. Let them come home to their families more. Improve out of town hours (shouldn't have to drive out of town Sunday night and then arrive back at 11pm on a Friday).
    - Invest in technology, let's get some mobile technology going. Integrate your programs together so you don't have to double enter everything (cms, prolog, workflow)
    - Improve the perks. In other companies, company cars come much earlier (you have to wait until PM / Superintendent 3, which is about 12 years in)

8. Great Company

Current Employee - Payroll Assistant in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Payroll Assistant in Towson, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company, good work-life balance

Cons

benefits, promotions, some days are better than others

9. Need to really love this industry to fit in

Former Intern - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Project Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Whiting-Turner as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Offer a lot of good benefits and job security
    Pay is about average
    Offers a lot of freedom in the workplace
    A great place to gain experience

Cons

Poor direction by management
    Long hours are expected out of salaried employees
    Some project teams are a lot farther behind in terms of technology, management, and overall work ethic
    From my experience, vacations and personal time is frowned upon

Bump up the salaries just a little bit
    Be more flexible with vacation and personal time
    Not everyone is in this industry because they want to work 70 hours a week, and a lot of good people leave because of it

10. Great People to Work for

Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Doesn't take long for them to give you freedom to work. higher ups don't micromanage and trust that you can handle what they give you. Very willing to give you better opportunities to succeed outside your comfort zone.

Cons

Very long hours. Don't plan on leaving when you hit that 8 hour mark. You may even be required to work a weekend here or there depending on the job.

11. Construction manager mid-level

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Whiting-Turner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Small company feel, work in small groups. But every group operates a little different. To be specific about the S.O.P. you have to work for that group. W-T is like any other company, they are in business to make money.

Cons

Very long work hours, project after project it never lets up. The more you put in the more they expect of you. If your a real go getter and do what ever it takes to get the job done their is no real reward. You just proved you will do the job no matter the personal cost and they put you on the next even tougher job. Low average pay.

The projects are very demanding and their is no other way around that. Find way to offer more time off.