Whitley Penn

Glenn Whitley

Best firm in Dallas!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsWork hard, play hard culture! Throughout my career I have always felt like I could trust the Partners. They are very approachable and have always done everything in their power to help when I needed it. The Partners are always very honest about how the firm is doing, even in times where the economy was not doing well. If I ever left, it would be for an industry position, because there is no better firm around.

ConsWe do have high expectations of work ethic and integrity, which some people may find intimidating. We are also very growth and business development focused, which is not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the staff and seniors know that your door is always open.

Worst company I ever worked for

ProsDon't listen to their bs if you have a good job stay where you are!

ConsThey have nothing positive to say. No time to train expect you to walk in and know how they work. Most have their noses in the air, can't even say good morning. Don't appreciate anything. Use you up and spit you out. So glad to be out of here. HR is awful. The people I work for now are thrilled with my knowledge and never say "I have work but no time to train you".

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people the way you expect to be treated. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Hope you get a good laugh out of this!

Great if you are in Management, but everyone else is just a number including clients.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsClients -Large firm so there is different expertise for many different kinds of tax issues.
    Employees - Great for career focused individuals right out of college with no responsibilities.

ConsWhether you are a employee or a client you are truly just a number.
    The fees are very high for the work they perform and they might have a senior manager sign the return showing they did the work but really an intern did it.
    Unless you are in upper management your family and time does not matter to them. They will work you to death and get rid of you when they are done. It is extremely long hours and they do not care about your family or your personal needs.
    They have the employees fill out surveys said what a great company they are so they can get another award, but everyone is scared to tell the truth. The have competely differnet rules for every level. Turnover is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about how big the company is and running the lower level employees into the ground. Treat every level the same.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They do not appreciate their employees and the hard work that is required.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsI can't think of one.

ConsPoor management and lack of appreciation and respect towards their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace that management team

Excellent company that is growing but will have to learn to trust middle managers

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsWhitley Penn is a Leading regional tax and accounting firm in North Texas. They have other specilized interests such as litigation support and various financial services.
    Their are some really bright associates and partners working their.
    Their benefits are par for the course. They were paying for employee insurance at one time.
    If you put in the time you can progress in position. Lots of young talent coming on board each year. Seems to be fairly easy to become a senior auditor for example.
    Company paid vacation weekend event every 2nd year. Such as cruises and resorts.
    Friendly atmosphere of people. Attempt at work\life balance is not bad.

ConsPartner ran firm. With that sometimes comes hidden agenda's. Most are dealt with. Firm has grown very fast. Too fast. Last two mergers were completed ok but not ready for another. As any company grows in size, their management philosphy must change and adapt. They have not learned how to do this. Partners are reviewing 2-3 levels down where they have no knowledge of that staff members work ethic. Firm leadership must trust and turn over the managing of the staff to their middle managers. Just your small company trying to grow pains. All can be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your middle managers. Don't try to perform their job. You will benefit by having this heirarchy in place and will be able to grow.
    Stick by your reviews and act upon them accordingly.

Worked for Whitley Penn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whitley Penn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Whitley Penn CEO Glenn Whitley. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Whitley Penn employees.