Whitney Holding Reviews

Carl J. Chaney
1 Rating

1. Multi-Service Banker II

I worked at Whitney Holding full-time

Pros

There was a lot of customer-interaction, and the branches downtown and in rougher areas had armed security guards. All of the employees are typically nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like upper management doesn't really care of how people are doing personally. Vacation days must be approved in advanced in must coordinate with others in the office, which really isn't that bad.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and try you best to make them happy, because then they will work harder.

2. It was very much a learning experience.

Former Employee - Production Support in Harahan, LA
    Former Employee - Production Support in Harahan, LA

I worked at Whitney Holding

Pros

Fast paced, dynamic, sensitive environment; one cannot help but constantly be forced to learn new concepts and improve their skills.

Cons

The office culture wasn't exactly the type I fit into well - both attempts and mistakes were made by everyone. As I said, learning experience.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is trying to move in to your job, and clearly becoming defensive concerning asinine issues when you're being outperformed benefits no body. That's passive aggressive, and it often has the polar opposite effect you intend it to have.

3. Great starting job

Former Employee - Team Leader I Bank Operations in Harahan, LA
    Former Employee - Team Leader I Bank Operations in Harahan, LA

I worked at Whitney Holding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to train Freedom to do additional projects Open door policy in the group I worked with

Cons

Compensation in the operations area is the hugest drawback but that's pretty normal across the industry. Not the easiest company to move into a new role.

Advice to Management

Give internal employees a spot on the manager trainee program. I understand you want to bring in recent grads but put some weight behind excellent employee's track records.

5. It was a great experience.

Former Employee - Teller in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Teller in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Whitney Holding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great financial institution with lots of opportunity for individuals to grow.

Cons

Gulf Coast Bank makes it hard to move and stay with organization.

6. It was a wonderful friendly place to work.

Former Employee - CD/IRA Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - CD/IRA Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Whitney Holding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Whitney was the great people who always worked as a team to accomplish our goals.

Cons

After a recent merger the entire culture and approach to how things were done changed, making it very difficult to get things accomplished.

Advice to Management

They need to find a way to get that teamwork spirit back and raise the morale of the staff.

Great until Hancock Bank merged with them.

Former Employee - Property Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Whitney Holding full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Didn't comply with government compliances and very racist. Refused to observe Martin Luther King Day.

Cons

They keep the Whitney name in Louisiana.

Advice to Management

Start putting procedures in place that comply with the size of bank you have become today.

8. Was a good employer.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Whitney Holding

Pros

Competitive pay for banking. Opportunities for personal growth.

Cons

Sold out to Hancock Bank.

Advice to Management

Senior management was competent. The problem was with executive management. They foolishly moved into Florida markets via acquisitions despite ample warning from consultants.

9. Great Place, lack of advancement

Former Employee - Teller in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Teller in Houston, TX

I worked at Whitney Holding

Pros

-Easy place to work -Retail side is not busy -Pay is "ok" giving the amount of work

Cons

-Pay still could be better, if they had better incentives -No real advancement, just shuffle employees

Advice to Management

Start giving realistic goals to Branch Manager, since we are not busy and it is hard to lure in new business.

10. Stone Age!

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Houston, TX

I worked at Whitney Holding

Pros

Bank holidays, no weekends, close at 4pm... Flexible work hours, great work life balance... Not like big bank sales atmosphere, more of a "relationship bank".

Cons

One of Top Personal Bankers in Company and still made less than $40k a year.... They use typewriters nearly every day! Seriously! Little to no technology, even though it has been coming for years... No advancement potential. Horrible incentive pay. Health & Dental benefits are sub par outside of Louisiana

Advice to Management

Stop being a "good ol' boys club". You keep bad managers just because you "like" them? Upper management seems to be oblivious to real world needs of retail staff. There are little to no documented procedures...I had to learn how to get things done by word of mouth by people that found out the hard way. Spend money on technology FAST!! You must be nearly 20 years behind bigger banks! Can you even catch up when you are that far behind in this day in age?

11. Nothing great about this employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Whitney Holding

Pros

The pay is good. Benfits meet expectations.

Cons

Discrimination Family works for high executives Small bank atmosphere try8ing to create a "big" bank mentality

Advice to Management

Executives from a bigger bank need to understand the dynamics of the roles in all job categories. This bank does not have the correct support needed to be effective with what they are attempting to change.

RSS Feed </> Embed