Who's Calling Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Stuart DePina

1. When it was in Kirkland, it was a fantastic team.

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Who's Calling full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone felt part of a team and cared about the business. We had several celebratory events that brought the staff together. Technical staff were reasonably well-managed and there were lots of interesting projects.

Cons

Once the company was bought (and eventually moved to Texas) everything went downhill. The environment became more corporate and boring, and there was little done to generate enthusiasm. Management was unwilling to support the benefits or wages, which were normal for a company in the Seattle area (I guess Texas pays less).

2. Didn't value talented work.

Former Employee - Client Satisfaction Representative in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Client Satisfaction Representative in Bothell, WA

I worked at Who's Calling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people in the Bellevue office.

Cons

The new management imposed stricter rules and eventually closed the office so they could find less talented work to do the job for cheaper.

3. Overall wonderful experience

Former Employee - IT/Server Support in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - IT/Server Support in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Who's Calling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the time I worked there (2002-2005) it was work hard, play harder, very dynamic and exciting place to work, the best on the job learning experience I ever had.

Cons

The only con is, I no longer work there, the company downsized years ago, and relocated to College Station Texas.

5. Who's Calling had a great concept, which turned into a great product, which was killed when the company was purchased.

Former Employee - Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Who's Calling full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Progressive, energetic, and passionate leadership in it's early days. Good product.

Cons

Short-sighted financial decisions, at the very highest levels.

Advice to Management

Make sure your people can believe in the product and the mission of the organization.

6. Good but wasn't there long enough to really see impact of my work

Current Employee - User Interface Designer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - User Interface Designer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Who's Calling

Pros

Nice location, free parking, good working environment, free bagels

Cons

When the company got bought out, everything went to hell

7. Not the best job

Current Employee - Support Consultant in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Support Consultant in College Station, TX

I have been working at Who's Calling

Pros

Medical benefits are paid for by the company if you follow what they consider is a "healthy individual," and it's a very easy job.

Cons

There is no room to move up and they pay next to nothing.

Advice to Management

n/a

8. Management is inappropriate and offensive to employees.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Who's Calling

Pros

Providing exceptional service. Can be a fun environment, but only with your peers.

Cons

Management have too close of relationships, so there is no real oversight or safe avenue for airing grievances. Supervisors provide no positive reinforcement and are inappropriate, offensive and condescending when giving criticism or when asked reasonable questions in order to clarify vague memorandums. Employees are not taken into consideration; customer always comes first no matter how abusive, rude or offensive they are. Ever since Who's Calling was acquired by parent company from Texas, they frequently attempt to impose conservative political views (an e-mail was sent to all employees of all subsidiaries containing misleading smear material about Obama the day before the election) and monitor all employee activity whatsoever with no consideration of personal privacy or reason, far beyond any normal work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on middle management and reduce nepotism.

Who's Calling USED to be a great place to work.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Who's Calling

Pros

ahead of the curve and great smart people to work with. It was one of those companies that was an early adapter. There were many follow up companies trying to do the same thing and trying to undercut us. In 2006 we had sales of $75 million and we were all extremely proud of that. The sales was spread out across the country but still managed to have a great comraderie. The sales managmenet team was exemplerary. They also had a great training program where you would come to the main office for your first week and have extensive training, starting with the company history and what it meant ot the current employees.

Cons

Since it was purchased by a company from Texas, the whole life of the company evaporated. The director of HR once told me we had 100 resignations in 100 days, out of a 350 person company. That should tell you something about the way the new company was ran. They slashed benefits and fired most of the management team. The office was a fun yet productive place to work that had a strangle hold on it after the texans came up. They wanted to instill their conservative measures on the Seattle, which didn't take very well as you can imagine.

Advice to Management

The senior mgmt was great, but the new owner didn't care about the employees.

10. Decent benefits and compensation, but for a failing product.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Who's Calling

Pros

Management is lenient with your personal time. Pay seems to be on par with similar positions. Great benefits include a company vehicle, laptop, cell phone, full health, dental, vision, and 401k, and decent compensation and bonuses in addition to salary. Client support is top notch.

Cons

The product development is poor. Since being acquired by Reynolds and Reynolds, things have definitely tightened up and Who's Calling has lost its drive to be an industry leader and has shifted its focus more towards locking up clients in contracts.

Advice to Management

Focus more on innovation and development.

11. Great people to work with - within my territory

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Who's Calling

Pros

I love the people I work with. They are great regional managers, sales people and industry people. I have worked with them for 4 years and we become family for eachother. We do have each other's back.

Cons

Sometimes, top management seems disconnected. All decisions have to go through the ladder and it can lengthen the decision time.

RSS Feed </> Embed