Whole Foods Market

Whole Foods Market Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb

John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members (in 162 reviews)

• Great benefits that work on a tier level based on hours you have put in w/the company (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Can't speak up for the good team members for fear of being written up or fired (in 146 reviews)

• Team leaders tend to delegate responsibility to lower level managers (in 104 reviews)

More Highlights
73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great flexible schedules!

Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThis is a great job, if you are looking to make easy, quick money. Especially great for students!

ConsThe scheduling is flexible, but if you happen to need to take time off for personal reasons, the operations seem unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementReassess current team member policies.

Very friendly environment, they actually care about you.

Cashier (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsStarting pay is $10.50, ability to advance within the company

ConsCustomer service is always tough

Advice to Senior ManagementTardy policy varies depending on the manager.

An exceptionally good job with awesome benefits, even for part time employees!

Cashier (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsEven part time people get awesome benefits, like the 401k plan, 20% off everything in the store, a chance to invest in their stocks, etc. The team leaders are very kind and understanding, and do everything they can to make sure that individual employees are happy.

ConsUpper management didn't seem to want to get to know the individual stores and the people running/working in them, which was disheartening and disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to say that if upper management could be more involved with people that aren't as high up in the food chain at Whole Foods, then that would be great. It always seems as if upper management is aloof and doesn't know what's going on with individual stores and the employees working in them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GREAT job

Meat Team Member (Former Employee) River Forest, IL

Prospay is great. The raise is even better.

Consstuck up customers. Tough but rewarding.

Crap Shoot

Team Member (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsSome people who work there are talented, passionate, caring, and very happy.

ConsThe promotion and retention policies are odd. I found I felt I worked for a completely different company than my friends who worked for another supervisor. Despite 30 months of trying, there was little to no interest in the foibles of my team leader, until I was being fired.

One of my favorite jobs I have ever had on a part time basis

Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) Willowbrook, IL

ProsThe best thing about Whole Foods for me was the people working their for me. They were a very ecclectic bunch but everyone there was nice, cool, and down to earth...and sometimes because of the way they look or dress they may be misjudged from the get go. I found them to be the opposite better than any suit I've ever worked for. Loved the people that came and shopped at Whole Foods because they were all about eating healthy. Enjoyed actually using my employee discount to shop and try the different foods too. Benefits are bar none the best in the industry. Lots of room for advancement if that is what your looking for.

ConsI worked in customer service & I have made lots of money in my career, so I had to adjust to some of the uppity uppity people barking at me with no respect. I didn't love my hours personally. For me being in my young 30s (with advanced degree in business), I didn't love having a boss barking orders at me while he was still in community college. Also, did not like the corporate penny pinching of making individuals work just a shade under 40 hours to avoid OT and risk the employee from getting benefits as a FT employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would treat everyone as you'd like to be treated (I guess that is advice for everyone) but what I mean is do away with the 7.5 hour shift to avoid someone becoming a FT employee. Just make them part time and work 32 hours instead of coming in 5 days a week for 7.5 hours. Also, know that in order to maintain employees always offer opportunities for advancement...pending they are wrothy of it and want it.

A culinary adventure with a solid team and a great fanbase

Seafood Team Member (Current Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsCulinary experience gained
    Consumer knowledge learned
    Amazing benefits
    Starting pay is higher than minimum
    Bonuses & Perks
    Flexibility

ConsHigher ups governing a region rather than store to store.
    Demands a lot of time and commitment depending on level of position

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is solid, but communication should be handled better

It's okay

Accountant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCasual dress. Nice office, clean environment.

ConsNo paid holidays (I'm not kidding!!), pay is below market rates.

Great place to work

Meat Team Member (Current Employee) Park Ridge, IL

ProsThis is a great place to work especially if your values are in alignment with the company's. If you're ready to promote, there's always an opportunity. The company supports you. We believe strongly in the betterment of all mankind.

ConsAs with any workplace, it is what you make of it. Bring a positive attitude and a willingness to learn and there's no way to fail here. Unless of course, you acquire too many points for poor attendance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work ;)

Whole Foods

Associate Grocery Team Leader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOverall a nice place to work at. PTO is great and they just about let you take off when you ask for some days off. Discount is nice and the company does care about the Team Members

ConsJust like High School very clicky and if you not in that click it will be almost impossible to move up with Whole Foods. They have some Team Leaders that should not be in that position they only care about themselves.

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!