Whole Foods Market

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 1,299 reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb

John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members(in 162 reviews)

• Great benefits that work on a tier level based on hours you have put in w/the company(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Can't speak up for the good team members for fear of being written up or fired(in 145 reviews)

• Team leaders tend to delegate responsibility to lower level managers(in 103 reviews)

1,299 Employee Reviews

It should be called "Whole Fools"

Our leader says were not a cult (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMedical, dental insurance,20% off groceries

ConsI worked at a store in Texas for a year. I felt like I was in a cult full of lazy team leaders and team members who were mindless followers. The trick to moving up in this company is a lot of sucking up to your "superiors". Hard work and dedication will get you nowhere except being perceived as a threat to insecure and unqualified team leaders. Lazy team members quickly figure out that they can get away with not working as long as they play along with the politics and smile, while those with a strong work ethic pull all the weight. I was actually reprimanded for being too hard-working and told that I needed to adapt to other less productive workers. After a year of frustration built up stemming from doing 75% of the work and being a slave while most of my co-workers walked the store sampling food, I quit. I won't miss getting up at 4 am for those oh so important 5 am pep rallies aka team meetings where nothing of real importance is ever said. I won't miss doing all the work while my team leader sits chatting it up with the coworkers who are on the clock and supposed to be helping me. I won't miss having to close my team leader's section after closing my own because he's too lazy to get his work done. I won't miss team leaders covering up team members bad behavior because they have the hots for them. I won't miss the politics, the fake smiles, the absence of any adherence to the "core" values, the popularity contests, and the lack of job security. It's all a show. The whole place is a sham.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and recognize your hard workers

Used to be happy, now I can't wait to get of here.

Warehouse (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsThe Benefits are really good and you're surrounded by awesome people other than your Leaders.

ConsLeadership sucks here. Too much favoritisms going on. One of Whole Foods main Core Value is Team Member Happiness. That's the biggest bull ever, I wonder who they ask when it comes to those surveys that says whole foods is one of top companies to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your stuff together or you're going to lose a lot of people especially those who have invested over 10 years of their life working here.

good place to work if you are at the right store

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStarted out with great benefit package but over the years it "updated" and got less desirable
    I ate like a king

Conspolitics. lots of work is expected of you. "gain sharing" was non existent you need to work at the right store and positions at good stores are hard to come by

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a mirage best illusionists in retail.

Team Member (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPay. Compared to most companies compensation is better than most. Benefits pretty good because of Benefit Card. Realistic Team members. Lack of (realistic) stress. Opportunity to move up if you follow their mantra.

ConsQuite honestly I been in Grocery business roughly about 20 years. This is a company that's promotes people on how much butt they can kiss and not necessarily the amount you know. Usually amongst their ranks the lowest guy in the totem pole knows more about the business than the leadership at store level. Coordinators and regional positions tend to be the brains of the operation. Team leaders some are savvy yet most are empty vessels of knowledge. The assistants same follows. Buyers are usually the smartest on what is going on from what I noticed. This is a company that loves to delegate everything away to the subordinates aka Team members and have them be responsible for everything. .so in case something happens they throw the buyers and below under the bus. Another common practice is allowing you to apply for positions...you need the blessing of your team leaders and above to apply for positions and for them to support you even if you are more than qualified to apply. Most positions are filled before the openings appear they just waste time to make it seem legit. They definetly need to try a HR system for positions. I feel if they think you are to smart for them or work to much they worry about you as you possibly being competition for them or possibly taking their job...as this is a hippie friendly company you have lots of stoners..customers and team members..main reason I am still around seasonal is just to maintain my clients which make me around 200k a year..not bad for someone who needs to learn how to operate a business if they ever want to be something in that company and understand how business works..lol I have great margins....total joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent to your team members and truthful. Somethings are protocol to keep in leadership totally understood but not knowing who works for you is sad. You went from caring about your team members to only worrying about your shareholders and margins. You lie now because many of you cannot fake the funk anymore..it's not all..many good seeds but just as much bad ones. Go back to the core basics..it's what made you a top 20 employer for many years..every year you keep slipping and it's because you lost your roots.

Green Washing and junk science

Administrative (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsHot people everywhere, great cooking and gardening knowledge, can move to other stores around the world and plenty of profit potential if you can run with wolves.

ConsNepotism, junk science used to brainwash customers and employees, cut-throat smiley face management techniques and poor commitment to core values.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a course on ethics.

This will become your life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmeet a lot of people and get to know more about being healthy

Consif you are not someone who wants to make a career working there they will weed you out. They also screwed me on unemployment stating i didnt work what I really did. Long battle that I lost even though I had check stubs and w2s.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't assume anything

Great Company

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWhole Foods Market is a wonderful company to work for, the culture of the company is welcoming and family oriented. I started there during college and the team leaders really go out of their way to make sure they accommodate students trying to further their education.

ConsLack of leadership within certain teams. Team leaders tend to delegate responsibility to lower level managers.

Not worth your time

Cook (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGains sharing, (possible monthly bonuses)

ConsSloppy Kitchen, unorganized management, dirty, takes too long to transfer to another store or department.
    (Stay away from prepared foods in the TriBeCa location!)

A great place for retail experience and like-minded folks.

Cashier (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsThe work environment is great; there is an interesting array of customers and I am very friendly with many of my co-workers. The pay is impressive for the nature of the company (being a grocery store), although in the Bay Area it is not nearly enough. The 20% discount is the best.

ConsThe pay increases are too small and they find ways to avoid providing benefits to employees by making it difficult to become a full-time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll employees should be provided with health care benefits, especially seeing that Whole Foods Market values the health of its customers and team members!!

Still just retail

ProsThe quality of people who work here are great. They are always willing to give you as many hours as you need, if you make sure to at least be on time. If you play your cards right it is easy to move up.

ConsLeadership is not sympathetic to entry level team members, likewise the idea of Core Values feels mostly like lip service, but it could be worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be a leader is better treatment of your TMs. Don't rest on your laurels.

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!