Whole Foods Market

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.6 1,304 reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb

John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members(in 162 reviews)

• Great benefits that work on a tier level based on hours you have put in w/the company(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Can't speak up for the good team members for fear of being written up or fired(in 146 reviews)

• Team leaders tend to delegate responsibility to lower level managers(in 104 reviews)

1,304 Employee Reviews

Supposedly progressive. Still feels Corporate.

Prepared Foods Team Member (Current Employee)

ProsBase pay starts off above minimum wage. As a "Part Time 20" employee, I can count on being scheduled 20-29 hours a week, and I can get health care for $100/paycheck ($200/month). All of my time off requests have been approved so far, and they've been many. I love the core values and capitalist/political positions the company stands for (i.e. complete GMO labeling by 2018). LGBT safe.

ConsI received very little training and have had a very stressful start as a Team Member, just being "thrown in" and figuring things out on my own, sometimes angering customers or fellow team members (less common). Leadership is unenlightened, which I've been disappointed to find because of the company's reputation for being "a great company to work for." I can feel the bureaucracy and corporate nature of the company and am unimpressed with that. I hear Trader Joe's is pretty successful at creating a bureaucracy-free and employee-friendly environment, even a sense of community between crew members!

Advice to Senior ManagementEither expand "Team Member Happiness and Excellence" or add a new Core Value about revolutionizing inner-company culture and management-employee dynamics. I was told during New Team Member Orientation that John Mackey (founder/CEO) wants to "change the world" through Whole Foods Markets. If this is so, I think there's a great opportunity for Whole Foods to revolutionize business culture throughout the company and create a model for other corporations to follow. In the four months I've been here, I'm unimpressed. I would love to see that work can be a place that doesn't simply give financial benefits (i.e. wages, healthcare, retirement, store discount, etc) but actually *enriches* employees lives (through modeling compassionate leadership, pairing team members with individual in-store mentors, offering personal development education like financial skills, communication skills, health coaching, having regular personal check-ins, inviting all-team collaboration for changes in the department etc, which would require extensive training for all leadership positions).

Employees are not respected

Bakery Team Member (Former Employee)

Prosnot sure there is any overwork underpay

Consworking with teenager is hard .....don t care about quality and customers

Advice to Senior Managementshould appreciate employees with experience.......no full time available ......

Not heading in the right direction

Prep Foods Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsSchedule, work-life balance, hourly rate, core values. Earning potential is good but that was coming in from the outside. Some leaders that worked their way up are not compensated as well.

ConsCompany heading in the wrong direction. It's getting more corporate these days and they don't look out for people who have been working there for awhile. Opening too many stores so now there is a lack of talent. Because of that they are putting people in positions who are not ready and that makes leaders who have been there for awhile work more. I use to be a great place to work but not anymore.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been there for 7 years, tried to get a promotion 3 times, but never been promoted.

Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

Prosthe personal time off is great and you can earn it quickly.

ConsThere is no 401 k match and you have to interview with a panel of your teammates every time you want to move up. They say they empower team members and they have a say in who will be promoted, but leadership knows who they want. They know who they want from the start. The team member empowerment is just a ruse.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting people through the ringer and giving them hope for a promotion when you know from the beginning whether they will get the job or not. You are just like any other corporation. If you want to be better, then follow through with your core values.

Best place to work for

Receiver (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsI started as cashier assistant, moved to cashier and now I am back up receiver and information system. A lot of opportunities to grow within, just work hard and be sociable. Benefits are very good and managers are reachable.

ConsSome positions require you to be available any time, however they always work schedule out with team member to meet their needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure store team leaders are fair to all team members.

Good company

Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHealthy environment, family like culture

Consworking hours are inconsistent and holidays required

Great company but your personal experience will depend on your store leadership

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsWFM empowers you to make decisions that will affect your future within the company. A lot of times, leadership growth is supported internally & based on performance. They give back to communities, both locally & globally and also support many environmental initiatives. Overall a fun place to work.

ConsI don't think the values that the company was founded on are necessarily followed at the store level. I've often said if John Mackey ever visited his stores unannounced, he would be appalled at a lot of things that were going on. Store leadership is allowed to run the store as they see fit, which many times is profit over people. Store leadership bonuses are based on things like supply budgets & labor with no emphasis on how well they are received in the store. Also, not a lot of accountability for store leadership. Where a lot of lower level positions are filled by internal candidates, a lot of upper level positions are filled externally. Those team members don't always have the mission of WFM in mind when making decisions. This might be commonplace in other companies, but since WFM touts itself as being different this kind of leadership shouldn't be tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on team members & less on bonuses. You could make more money elsewhere, so you should just go there if your values don't align with WFM.

Healthy working environment, and most employees (90%) have a great attitude

Full Time Floral Team Member (Current Employee) Melrose, MA

ProsGreat quality products, high standards in many areas, a high percentage of employees with great attitudes who truly provide excellent customer service, 20% employee discount, great employee recognition program, great health benefits once an employee works for the company for a few years. (employee insurance costs decrease continually as the employee works/gives the company more hours)

Cons$$$$$, I have management experience and I applied for the floral department. All WF floral departments have a Floral Supervisor. The store I work at has one part time floral employee and they were looking to fill another forty hours. I was hired for those forty hours. The management informed me that I will need to be fully trained to become the "Floral Supervisor" He has also told me on numerous occasions,(in so many words) that floral is really not that important to him because it only contributes to 1% of the sales for the store. I understand, but it does not send a good message to the floral employees. I have been trained/ and I have been doing the job of the Floral Supervisor however, I am not being compensated. I make $10 per hour ($20,800 per year) and have been told that the Floral Supervisor position hourly rate is $11.52 per hour. As I mentioned to management below, I have had another job offer and the yearly salary is 40K per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company continually gives to world wide organizations, and is very generous in doing so, which is a great. My feeling is that "charity begins at home" I am a college educated professional and I applied for a specific department that interested me. I have been working at WF for four months and I love it. Unfortunately, I will be leaving as I have landed the same position with another grocery store and the salary is double what I am making here. Below we are asked to rate Senior Management and if we approve of the CEO's. Team members do not hear much from them or about them. We learned about them at orientation, but not much since then. I rated them neutral.

Whole Foods

Customer Service (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Team Environment.
    Great health and wellness incentives.
    Good Benefits.
    Great products.

ConsLow pay
    Little opportunities for growth and advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementNo favoritism. Value hard work and effort.

QFM

Prosopen environment, nice people, health concious, lots of food

Consno communication, same routine everyday, hard to move up

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate to all team members, not just the ones you share a shift with.

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!