Whole Foods Market

3.7
1,506 Reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Team members have a say in everything that concerns the welfare of the overall company (in 188 reviews)

• Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • When changes are made it is up to team members to figure out the way without any guidance (in 165 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, team leaders promoted to position but not trained -- terrible (in 118 reviews)

More Highlights

Wish they didn't just hire mostly part time

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

everybody has a great attitude, fantastic leadership (at least at my store), gain-sharing, easy to take time off, paid time off, moral company with great fundraisers, and the guests are just delightful

Cons

they hire almost everybody starting at part time and make it pretty difficult to get more hours, even full time employees with get shorted on hours many weeks and rather than a full 40 hour week will get 30-35 hours

You'll have a lower turnover rate if you just gave people more hours! I would love to make WFM my only workplace but I cannot live on less than 30 hours a week.

A company with great intentions

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm sure I could be earning more money doing something else with my life - you can say that with just about any job. But I what I want to emphasize is that at its core Whole Foods Market practices what it preaches when it comes to treating its employees well. There will always be challenges and it's inevitable to work for or with people that just do not fit our corporate culture. But even though I may encounter individuals like the latter, I've met countless people that are passionate and truly believe in what we stand for. I'm proud of what we do and the values we stand for.

Cons

Our company is growing and opportunities are opening up to advance but there at times issues that arise from this growth. We do have managers that simply do not fit our culture. Somehow they have risen the ranks of the company but they do not get it. It can be frustrating at times when your peers in leadership run teams that seemingly have more resources available to them. Usually this involves the ability to afford team members, aka, labor dollars. Some of us that work on older teams are stretched thin compared to new stores that may have a lot less stress to deal with.

I understand the importance of high standards of retail merchandising - I also understand that all of us are under pressure to keep our labor under control, but it's very difficult when there's no communication to the team leader group as to why labor cuts are made, especially when it hurts a team that may have been running without a team leader for several months, giving an illusion that gain sharing was being taken advantage of. Also - I've not seen the transparency of everyone's earnings in quite some time. Does that policy still exist anymore?

Great company with awesome Core Values

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team members at WFM are great. They are positive and caring. They aren't much for gossiping and when they ask about someone who's in a sticky situation, they are asking because they want to make sure they are alright. Store leadership really wants to see its team members succeed and grow. Initial training was awesome! Vote-on process helps keep teams in groups that work well with each other.

Cons

Training once you've been with the company for a bit becomes almost non-existent. Some customers are pretentious and feel they deserve the world. They hold onto poorly working team members for too long.

Sometime you have to let the team members do what they are good at and what they've been doing for years. Micro managing has its time and place.

Overnight Grocery Team Member

Current Employee - Overnight Grocery Team Member in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Overnight Grocery Team Member in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent
    Benefits
    The People/Team members
    Gainsharing
    The Food

Cons

Overnight Hours
    The Commute
    401k
    No cell phones
    Small store

Keep it up!

A great place to work

Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, training on food safety, room to grow, nice benefits. You can see the direction John Mackey and Walter Robb are going with bringing quality food to communities where there aren't as many healthy options.

Cons

Personally I was not a fan of doing inventory - but it had to be done!

More local promotions for the community.

company is good, employees are bad.

Former Employee - Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the company offers a higher pay rate then most other grocery companies, it also offers benifits. Which are pretty good, i never needed the medical but the dental pays for right around 4 fillings or a crown and a filling. the insurance also has a large network.

Cons

the company doesnt always use the best ingredients as it projects it self to, everyone is looking to grow and move up and because of that there is a bunch of underhanded and two faced interacitons between employees. Not a whole lot of room to be creative in lower level or even middle management positions.

WFM

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Good training. Relatively fair compensation.

Cons

Corporate structure has little to no flexibility.

Whole Foods in the West

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule if your department has enough employees to cover gaps. Great customers for the most part.

Cons

Obviously nights, weekends, and holidays are an important segment of their business and that can make work life balance difficult.

No other company I'd rather work for

Current Employee - Team Leader in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Lives out the Core Values
    -Promotes hard work
    -Encourages feedback and honest communication
    -Great pay/benefits/discounts
    -Allows TM's to be who they are
    -introducing new folks to our AMAZING variety of products is a very rewarding part of the job.
    -NUMEROUS community/world out reaches via different foundations. Allow TM's to take trips to other countries (Whole Planet Foundation!) to see where our products come from and help work in the communities of these villages
    -Whole Cites helps provide fresh foods in inner city "food deserts"
    -Whole Kids helps teach young children and parents how to eat healthier
    -every single store in the company is actively involved in these foundations as well as numerous local goings on.

Cons

-You will work your butt off. More so than any other retail job.
    -TM's not willing to pull their weight typically are the ones who stay the longest
    -Growing so fast, not everyone in Leadership positions really "get" what the company is about. This leads to a watering down of the Values.
    -SOME of our guests are some of the absolute worst, most entitled people around. People will protest WFM but simultaneously shop at other retailers offering a much lower quality of product and unfortunately the TM's are the ones that receive the backlash.

I'm a TL, for 3 years now, I try to listen to my TM's and help them to get everything they possibly need to advance as quickly as possible. The most important thing Leadership can do is try to instill the Core Values in new TM's so they can then become caring and fair leaders as well.

Great place to work, loved the people and the mission

Former Employee - Executive Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Executive Marketing Director

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, foodie environment

Cons

low pay but discount card helps

Whole Foods Market Photos