Whole Foods Market

3.7
1,417 Reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members (in 162 reviews)

• Great benefits that work on a tier level based on hours you have put in w/the company (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Can't speak up for the good team members for fear of being written up or fired (in 146 reviews)

• Team leaders tend to delegate responsibility to lower level managers (in 104 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, not great

Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member  in  Basalt, CO
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Basalt, CO

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

- great coworkers - everyone is friendly and fun to work with
    - customers are kind
    - always something to do - it's never not busy
    - great discounts
    - many opportunities to move up if you want them

Cons

- they don't pay enough considering how hard you have to work
    - most people are pretty stressed out
    - hardly any work/life balance - everyone is encouraged to work as many hours as possible; people bleed for this job

A place where great people work together to improve the world and the people who live in it.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

Whole Foods philosophy as a company is great. Opportunities for growth and great benefits.

Cons

Time off polices are pretty bad. I could not live my life due to constantly being scheduled to work. Would give me my schedule couple of days before the start of the week making planning family outings or seeing concerts very hard due to not knowing if I would be scheduled to work. If you try to let them know that you need that day off they say you must give them two weeks notice and MAYBE they will consider it.

Management. Some of these managers run there departments like novices. Some run there department like some oligarchy, if you do not know the right person or a favorite be prepared to get the lowest raise allotted, work days you cannot work and expect to do triple the work while your manager and his friends slack off.

listen to the lower tier worker, they might have great ideas. schedules should be given 2 months in advance to allow team members to be able to plan and enjoy life. fire those whose work ethic does not match company philosophies.

Honestly the best place to work!!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working at Whole Foods they don't discriminate against tattoos or piercings. Everyone is very laid back and approachable. I love working for a company with a cause,

Cons

I think every business has those few customers that can ruin your day.

Keep doing what your doing Thank You for being awsome!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Place to Work

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good place to work and there are some opportunities to move up, provided you are willing to do so. Leadership and fellow team members are there to teach you if you are willing to ask.

Cons

Sometimes the workload can be pretty bad, depending on the responsibilities given. Also, depending on the amount of customers in the store, it can get pretty tiring, especially if leadership isn't willing to step in. While they are WILLING to teach the new people, they expect the ones that have already been there to essentially take care of the bulk of the work. They could at least help out their employees. Mind you, this is just departmental leadership.

They really DO what they say they value. But a company is only as great as it's employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

I felt good about where I worked. I loved most of the people I worked with. I have similar values, especially about food that the company does. Food discount, great if you endorse their products and values.

Cons

It's been my observation... that a lot of people that get promoted were because of their like ability, rather than their productivity.

I like the culture of management is not referred to as such but rather as Team Leaders! But you must behave like a leader. Work with your subordinates, the lowest on the totem pole. I once had my Department Team Leader helping me with dishes, felt great.

Trainer

Former Employee - Team Trainer
    Former Employee - Team Trainer

I worked at Whole Foods Market as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment and quality of life. Opportunities for growth in multiple positions. Teams work together and celebrate successes.

Cons

Doesn't pay well and core values are being compromised. Teams run thin due to rapid growth. Work load is increased but leadership doesn't acknowledge the work load. More for less is the motto.

Great first job expierence

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Dallas, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dallas, GA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

people are nice and friendly
    never not busy
    customers were never a pain
    flexible hours

Cons

does not pay you enough for the hard work you put in

great store discounts
    a lot of opportunities for you to move up a position

Transparent, Organic Team Based Organization

Current Employee - Payroll and Administration Specialist  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Payroll and Administration Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Values that extend from the top down

Cons

Gives people a chance before they are ready for the responsibility sometimes.

Leave a position unfilled until you have the 'best' candidate to fill it

Very good, many friends, no known negative feedback from peers/leadership.

Current Employee - ATL  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - ATL in Boston, MA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A wonderful company, with ample opportunity to expand knowledge and grow as an individual in desired area. You can be proud of the core values, or at the very least, the effort to help the local and global community. Team members are the best group of caring, genuine co-workers you could hope to meet.

Cons

Retail can be a grind. Leadership caters to higher leadership (i.e the scramble when a regional or global representative visits). Get ready for the love hate relationship consumers have for WFM.

Walter Robb is awesome. Buck in Hingham and Kate Demase in Arlington are amazing Store Team Leaders, they are truly wonderful people! Advice to management: be more like them, fair, balanced, approachable, and hold those accountable with the same expectations for yourself.

Cult of personality

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

Great pay for the work. Excellent benefits - many are based on service hours (hours worked,) so it definitely pays to stay with the company. For the most part, the team members and leadership are friendly and supportive.

Cons

As with any company, bad leaders get through the cracks. I've worked at several locations and for many leaders. WFM is all about proper "fit" for a job, so when there are interviews for leadership positions, the interview panel will take into consideration not only the candidate's skills and qualifications, but also personality and whether or not they think that particular person will mesh well with others in leadership on that team. While this is a great thing, in general, it's also a really handy way for a leader to engage in and conceal favoritism. It can result in leaders who are totally unprepared for their positions, and that can and does lead to bad team morale.

One other con - While there is a lot of talk about an "open door policy," that only applies if leadership wants to hear what you have to say. Many times, I've seen team members with valid issues with their leader not taken seriously or, worse, seen as a problem child, because they dared to criticize leadership. Leadership considers it "sour grapes" or simply a lack of understanding about the way things work, and brush off the criticism in that way. However, when leadership criticizes a team member, it must be taken as valid, and that team member should take steps to correct the issue. It's a double standard.

Practice what you preach. Listen to your team members. If team members are telling you consistently that there is a problem with a certain leader, pay attention.

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!