Whole Foods Market

3.6
1,769 Reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Team members have a say in everything that concerns the welfare of the overall company (in 190 reviews)

• Fun place to work, great benefits if you actually get a chance to work full time (in 125 reviews)

Cons
  • When changes are made it is up to team members to figure out the way without any guidance (in 173 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, team leaders promoted to position but not trained -- terrible (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work, but it's changing.

Former Employee - Senior Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great Team Member culture that permeates the entire company - both stores and corporate. The benefits are fantastic and the perks are too numerous to mention.

Cons

Things are changing, but not for the good. So many things that needed to change ago, are all happening at once with very little concern for anyone thats not a Global VP. TEAM members in the regions, the stores, and even at the global office are all tired and overworked. There's already a bit of an exodus underway.

Stop, breathe and remember what made the company great: the mission, the culture, the purpose. You're losing that slowly in the regions. It will be too late to do anything if you don't notice it now.

It has its pluses and minuses.

Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Asheville, NC

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Prepared Foods, which essentially meant that I got to eat free samples all day. Management even encouraged us to do it so as to answer customer questions more efficiently.

Cons

Vegan food always mixes with meat based products (bad if you're vegan), slacker/stoner mentality of coworkers (good if you're chill), a variety of bosses who all want different things.

Don't take your job so seriously and don't shove culture down your employees throats.

Pleasant Place to Work and Room to Grow

Former Employee - Front End Cashier and Keyholder in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier and Keyholder in Boulder, CO

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They encourage employees to stay a long time and apply for management positions. You are offered lots of career development. There are a lot of great perks such as 20% discount on groceries, special programs to boost morale and good company policies.

Cons

They expect you to be a lifer and never leave whole foods. In order to get hired and last you have to make it sound like your life's hopes and dreams are wrapped up in Whole Foods. My supervisors took it very personally when I left.

put less pressure on people to make a lifetime career with you

I loved most of the years I worked here.

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great people, great customers, great food. Many ways to move up if you want.

Cons

after several years, your body begins to wear out.

Listen,listen, listen. Stop treating mature team members like they don't matter anymore.

Great place to be

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Portland, OR

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great people to work with, great company - sweet discount on groceries, fun atmosphere, flexible scheduling

Cons

not much - for a grocery store, the pay is higher and the work environment is great. To earn more though you just need to be open to moving up in management

Good Survival Job

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Was between jobs and working at whole foods while I looked for a new career job kept a roof over my head!
    Good benefits, discount on food
    met a lot of good people

Cons

Hourly wages
    Having to make sure your shift was "covered" if you needed time off

WFM is a company that sticks to their values and cares about changing the world and improving peoples health.

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great employees. Great benefits. The food is amazing.

Cons

Always feeling hungry is a con being here, but other than that it's a wonderful environment.

Great company

Current Employee - Team Trainer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Trainer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Awesome pay and benefits, awesome company! No complaints at all.

Cons

Company is great and they have no cons at all.

Rough, but I'd work there again.

Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

I enjoyed my job- liked my coworkers a lot, learned a huge amount of information, even loved my manager and of course, the pay. I loved the benefits, especially pb&j day where you get a free meal the day before your paycheck. Was really awesome. The store meetings were also really cool because the values of the company Are of course, great. People on front end and floral and grocery really seemed to love their job and when good music comes on before the store opens, everyone in the store sings as loud as they can-it's awesome. I also got to work in produce and floral a couple times-which was a lot of fun.

Cons

Really hard work, I worked in the juice bar mostly, and it's rough. When I first started I had multiple team members inform me it was one of the hardest parts of the store. My team leader was on pregnancy leave most the time I worked there and my assistant team leader was rough, and my coworkers were kind of cliquey and there was a lot of gossip, I was glad they mostly liked me. Except when my assistant team leader made a coworker train me to take her job-she didn't like me then. and the hours were a mess- they're not supposed to work you over 30 hours if you're part-time-20, but they do, and when your hours get cut it hurts. I tried picking them up in other departments-but wasn't allowed.

Stop cutting employees, and stop dropping the amount of full time employees allowed. And maybe seperate juice bar and bakery- I heard you would move juice bar to produce and you should.

Great job while in school

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love the team members you work with
    Flexible schedule
    Great benefits
    Good raises
    Opportunity for growth

Cons

Some people in management are very unprofessional
    Management lacks consistency and they often do not follow their own policies

Seek professional leadership training