Whole Foods Market

3.6
1,574 Reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Team members have a say in everything that concerns the welfare of the overall company (in 189 reviews)

• Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • When changes are made it is up to team members to figure out the way without any guidance (in 165 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, team leaders promoted to position but not trained -- terrible (in 118 reviews)

More Highlights

Spoiled

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall this is a great company to work for, the benefits are beyond competitive, the work environment is great and generally speaking they really take care of their team members

Cons

at the store level the pay is competitive for a retailer considering all of the benefits that you get with the job, outside of the store level once you reach salary the pay is not as competitive and you work way more than you are compensated for.

don't forget about team member happiness as you continue with this rapid growth, whole foods prides itself on "team member happiness" and as the focus changes to expansion that core value is being forgotten.

Accounting Lead

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong team dynamics, great benefits

Cons

Low Pay compared to other industries

Consider more monetary compensation for top 10%

Specialty Dept

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, work-life balance is realistic, wage is fair and benefits are the cherry on top

Cons

to grow in the company, hours and shifts can change

I was a customer service rep, bagging groceries and ringing the cash register.

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Lynnfield, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Lynnfield, MA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great respect for the employees, great pay, great benefits.

Cons

Snobby customers, and atleast at my local Whole Foods, the management were complete idiots.

The bosses I had could have learned to understand that the employees had a life, and things happen. I heard other bosses at other stores were very nice and understanding though, so it may have just been my store.

lotta physical work, good bennies

Former Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the core values, fellow team members, benefits and pay for retail. Great wellness programs and discounts. Good products to believe in.

Cons

lots of physical work and working with the public is not an easy thing! They promote people who are ill equipped for management positions.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. Great leadership. Good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Benefits are lacking. Training is by the seat of your pants.

Excellent experience, confusing culture.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an amazing place to work in terms of experience. The product being sold is truly exceptional. Whole Foods really is changing the game when it comes to organics, sustainable seafood, and humanely treated animals. There are many different avenues to pursue, in terms of career path. However, there are dead ends in most career paths with the exception of operations. Time off policy is solid, but definitely favors those who've been at the company longer. Benefits are good. Compensation varies wildly from terrible to exceptional, and does not follow industry standards at all.

Cons

Operations determines everything, for better or worse, and at times in defiance of reason. I've seen some terrible decisions made despite input from buyers/specialists/marketing because operations simply liked an idea, whether it was practical or not. I've seen vast waste in terms of money and labor. Work life balance is excellent when it's not the holidays, or when not opening a new location. Overall, the company is struggling with scaling up as quickly as it is. The smaller business culture is still in place, and this definitely causes a fair amount of problems. During new store openings, work/life balance is completely non-existent. Holidays are challenging there, but understandably so.

Revisit bonus structure. Place more trust in your marketers and buyers. Assess the level of autonomy given to individual store team leaders. Be more cautious in terms of hiring family/friends of relation to current leadership. Allow support functions like HR, Marketing, and Buyers to do their jobs - place more trust in the regional teams you are developing.

Wonderful if you are full time.

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Fun work environment, very little bureaucracy despite being a large company.

Cons

Managers are supposed to maintain 2/3 full time to 1/3 part time staff, if you are part time you are supposed to average 19 hours a week. They often schedule you for more, but if they are close to their labor budget for the week your hours can drop dramatically, ie. 8-16 hours for the week.

Overall really great, don't forget to keep part timers in the loop about your scheduling plans so they are not surprised.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, discount, rapid advancement opportunities, Team atmosphere, Benefits

Cons

Working weekends, and Holidays (not WFM specific it comes with the territory). Shared Till as a Cashier. I was forced to find another Team because the till was off. Till is shared and you share the "hit". I was a Trainer and am 98% sure the mistake wasn't mine. But, having said that, I quickly found another Team.

Reconsider Shared Till. You are losing great Front End Cashiers.

Best retail job

Current Employee - Whole Body Team Member in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Whole Body Team Member in Plano, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compassionate people
    Great Benefits
    Great leadership

Cons

The guest can be a little abusive and mean but you will learn to let it roll off an not let it affect you

Whole Foods Market Photos