Whole Foods Market

3.7
1,491 Reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Team members have a say in everything that concerns the welfare of the overall company (in 184 reviews)

• Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • When changes are made it is up to team members to figure out the way without any guidance (in 164 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, team leaders promoted to position but not trained -- terrible (in 116 reviews)

More Highlights

Wish they didn't just hire mostly part time

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

everybody has a great attitude, fantastic leadership (at least at my store), gain-sharing, easy to take time off, paid time off, moral company with great fundraisers, and the guests are just delightful

Cons

they hire almost everybody starting at part time and make it pretty difficult to get more hours, even full time employees with get shorted on hours many weeks and rather than a full 40 hour week will get 30-35 hours

You'll have a lower turnover rate if you just gave people more hours! I would love to make WFM my only workplace but I cannot live on less than 30 hours a week.

A company with great intentions

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm sure I could be earning more money doing something else with my life - you can say that with just about any job. But I what I want to emphasize is that at its core Whole Foods Market practices what it preaches when it comes to treating its employees well. There will always be challenges and it's inevitable to work for or with people that just do not fit our corporate culture. But even though I may encounter individuals like the latter, I've met countless people that are passionate and truly believe in what we stand for. I'm proud of what we do and the values we stand for.

Cons

Our company is growing and opportunities are opening up to advance but there at times issues that arise from this growth. We do have managers that simply do not fit our culture. Somehow they have risen the ranks of the company but they do not get it. It can be frustrating at times when your peers in leadership run teams that seemingly have more resources available to them. Usually this involves the ability to afford team members, aka, labor dollars. Some of us that work on older teams are stretched thin compared to new stores that may have a lot less stress to deal with.

I understand the importance of high standards of retail merchandising - I also understand that all of us are under pressure to keep our labor under control, but it's very difficult when there's no communication to the team leader group as to why labor cuts are made, especially when it hurts a team that may have been running without a team leader for several months, giving an illusion that gain sharing was being taken advantage of. Also - I've not seen the transparency of everyone's earnings in quite some time. Does that policy still exist anymore?

Great company with awesome Core Values

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team members at WFM are great. They are positive and caring. They aren't much for gossiping and when they ask about someone who's in a sticky situation, they are asking because they want to make sure they are alright. Store leadership really wants to see its team members succeed and grow. Initial training was awesome! Vote-on process helps keep teams in groups that work well with each other.

Cons

Training once you've been with the company for a bit becomes almost non-existent. Some customers are pretentious and feel they deserve the world. They hold onto poorly working team members for too long.

Sometime you have to let the team members do what they are good at and what they've been doing for years. Micro managing has its time and place.

Best company in all aspects.

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

. Great pay
    . Great benefits
    . Great leadership
    . Great food
    . Great team member's
    .room to grow

Cons

.labor a bit low for workload.

Hire new leadership that have passion for whole foods. Don't settle , don't hire friends , hire those who can do the job best.

Wonderful Environment!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Whole Foods Market (more than 3 years)

Pros

Whole Foods offer a decent employee discount. It's a great environment to work in and really helps promote a healthy lifestyle. Their benefits are amazing and opportunity to move up in the company is fairly straightforward.

Cons

They post jobs within the company before releasing them to the public, but the openings are incredibly competitive. A lot of leniency is given to upper management, but not so much on the general workers. Working in a gourmet/healthy grocery store offers lots of chances to run into very needy customers that act very entitled.

Great place to work, loved the people and the mission

Former Employee - Executive Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Executive Marketing Director

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, foodie environment

Cons

low pay but discount card helps

WFM - Northeast Region

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good training, benefits, compassionate leadership, opportunities for those who work hard

Cons

Sometimes there is a air of favoritism by regional leadership, if you make one mistake it is lauded over your by the RP for a long time, promoting people too soon and setting them up for failure

Ask questions before making snap judgements. There are many moving parts to the business and there needs to be some realism on the part of regional leadership on meeting goals, and giving the tools and help necessary to meet these goals.

Its a decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Bakery Supervisor in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Bakery Supervisor in Reno, NV

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the job. Great benefits and pto. The company really tries to value its team members.

Cons

Customers can always be difficult. Training is lacking for leadership roles. Store managers is a piece of work.

Watch the favoritism

Possibly the best retail store to work for.

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are great, definitely the best part of the job. Everyone is friendly, everyone helps out. Cheesy training videos and quizes are a nice change of pace. Many ways to improve your standing with the company, definitely a career opportunity for those with the drive to satisfy customers and willing to take initiative.

Cons

Retail environment. Rich entitled customer base means you will get chewed out by customers from time to time. Company doesn't have a blacklist, so expect the same people to complain and expect freebies.

Ask your team members for input regarding decisions that influence said team members.

Life changing experience for the better!

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible coworkers who foster independent thinking. A company that promotes innovating ideas and listens to what everyone has to say. Relaxed and casual work environment. Striking new ground and participating in exciting new digital initiatives. Flexible work schedule: hours are 9-5 and you can Telecommute from home one day per week. Discount at the stores. Free yoga classes on-site. Free snacks/meals in the kitchen/break rooms. Honest and transparent: you can go up to the 6th floor and ask to see anyone's salary in the entire company. Standard PTO policy.

Cons

Lower pay than the market rate for most technical positions. No holidays! This really sucks.... we're open 365 days a year. Not so great insurance/retirement options. Very difficult to get hired as a Team Member.

Stay true to the company values and you will continue to shine.

Whole Foods Market Photos