Whole Foods Market Reviews

Reset
3.6
Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Some of the long-timers kept up with the tradition of verbally expressing appreciations to other team members when appropriate (e (in 190 reviews)

• Great benefits with room for advancement (in 125 reviews)

Cons
  • Team members have been told not to speak badly about team leaders (in 173 reviews)

• managers where store team leaders act passively (in 122 reviews)

2,413 Employee Reviews

1. WFM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

Pros

Most of the benefits are good and starting pay is good for a cashier. There is a good team effort to get the job done.

Cons

The drawback is people know what they can get away with and do it. The customers and employees. Wholefoods is growing and changing. Better or worse? I guess both.

2. A Very Good Experience

Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in Jericho, NY
    Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in Jericho, NY

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time

Pros

A very enthusiastic workforce and understanding management. I worked with some of the funniest people and the time flies by. They also offered a good hourly wage for the field.

Cons

Some of the customers will be rude, but it is expected in the field. Overall, there was not much of a downside.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The store ran smoothly and the workforce was engaged.

3. Whole Body Team Member

Current Employee - Whole Body Team Member in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Whole Body Team Member in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-20% discount store wide -Great fellow employees -Free company trainings on supplements and products -Product Samples

Cons

-Very high expectation for mediocre pay -Whole body employees expected to know a huge amount of information about supplements and health without extra pay -Upper management does not care about employee wellbeing

Advice to Management

Employee incentive

5. Wonderful Experience Overall

Current Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR

I have been working at Whole Foods Market (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are excellent, and the work environment is great. They also pay above average.

Cons

Poor communication overall. I was often left out when it came to new and exciting company movements.

Advice to Management

Increase communication!

6. Team Member

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in New York, NY

Pros

There are many opportunities to grow and develop yourself. Great leadership training. The supportive environment of management.

Cons

The Whole Food Values and Culture are not always present among the team. Communication breakdowns with the team around duties and how they are performed are sometimes challenging.

Advice to Management

Close the gap between the culture that is espoused and the culture that is practiced amongst the team in food preparation. Give more communication training and stress management training.

7. produce team member

Current Employee - Produce Team Member in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Produce Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment. Good Medical Benefits.

Cons

Budgeted Labor Hours for department are not sufficient, so there is rarely a labor surplus payout.

Advice to Management

Increase the labor budget for produce--with the extra hours required for the increase in the value added area there is not enough time to get the day's work done..

8. Specialty Team Leader

Former Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

Pros

Great team environment. 20% employee discount. Paid Time Off Surrounded by like-minded people. Quality products.

Cons

"Blackout dates" (certain dates on the calendar where you can NOT request time off). Overtime during the holidays. Ridiculous retail hours/schedule. (One day you will work 6-2:30, the next day: 3-11:30, then the next day: 9-5:20) No opportunity for a set schedule.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team members and their needs. They run the business. Be more present and visible on the sales floor/don't hide in your office. Manage your 'friend vs. employee' behavior.

9. Loved Working There!

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The medical benefits for part-timers were terrible. I took the job there specifically because I knew they offered medical to part-timers, but after working there is when I discovered they were un-affordable because you had to pay full price. So yes, they were accessible, but cost more than I made there.

Cons

A VERY fun environment. I worked in the front which allowed me a lot of interaction with customers. In fact, I was bummed when I was put behind a cashier as my favorite thing was bagging and getting carts. I moved constantly and was actually getting paid to lose weight - ha ha. The management was incredible when my son was flown via helicopter into ICU at a children's hospital just a couple hours before a shift. They were SO understanding about my needing immediate time off as well as occasional challenges after we were home while we adjusted to the ups and downs of life as a Type 1 Diabetic. I can tell you for sure my employer prior to Whole Foods would NOT have been so accommodating. I also liked the 20% discount on food and the opportunity to get as much as 30% off depending upon your health. It's great to inspire people to live healthier lifestyles.

Advice to Management

Offer affordable health insurance to part-timers.

10. Whole foods is a great company that truly cares about their employees.

Current Employee - Meat Team Member in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Meat Team Member in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone gets bonuses! After your first few weeks you're eligible for it and everyone gets their bonuses based on their hours worked. It's awesome. Plus the day before every payday there's peanut butter and jelly and snacks in the break room for everyone. Little things like that make people want to work.

Cons

Getting a shift changed might not always happen but they try to be flexible. Also, it's whole foods so expect the type of customers that think the world was made for them.

Advice to Management

Recognize true talent and try to embrace the members that work the best.

11. Customer Service Associate Manager

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate Manager in Manhasset, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate Manager in Manhasset, NY

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, culture, flexibility, pay, PTO.

Cons

long hours, retail hours, difficult customers, not closed on holidays.

Showing 2,413 of 2,434 reviews