Whole Foods Market

3.7
1,513 Reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Team members have a say in everything that concerns the welfare of the overall company (in 188 reviews)

• Whole Foods Market has great benefits and strives to grow their team members (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • When changes are made it is up to team members to figure out the way without any guidance (in 165 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, team leaders promoted to position but not trained -- terrible (in 118 reviews)

More Highlights

Whole Foods in the West

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule if your department has enough employees to cover gaps. Great customers for the most part.

Cons

Obviously nights, weekends, and holidays are an important segment of their business and that can make work life balance difficult.

No other company I'd rather work for

Current Employee - Team Leader in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Lives out the Core Values
    -Promotes hard work
    -Encourages feedback and honest communication
    -Great pay/benefits/discounts
    -Allows TM's to be who they are
    -introducing new folks to our AMAZING variety of products is a very rewarding part of the job.
    -NUMEROUS community/world out reaches via different foundations. Allow TM's to take trips to other countries (Whole Planet Foundation!) to see where our products come from and help work in the communities of these villages
    -Whole Cites helps provide fresh foods in inner city "food deserts"
    -Whole Kids helps teach young children and parents how to eat healthier
    -every single store in the company is actively involved in these foundations as well as numerous local goings on.

Cons

-You will work your butt off. More so than any other retail job.
    -TM's not willing to pull their weight typically are the ones who stay the longest
    -Growing so fast, not everyone in Leadership positions really "get" what the company is about. This leads to a watering down of the Values.
    -SOME of our guests are some of the absolute worst, most entitled people around. People will protest WFM but simultaneously shop at other retailers offering a much lower quality of product and unfortunately the TM's are the ones that receive the backlash.

I'm a TL, for 3 years now, I try to listen to my TM's and help them to get everything they possibly need to advance as quickly as possible. The most important thing Leadership can do is try to instill the Core Values in new TM's so they can then become caring and fair leaders as well.

company is good, employees are bad.

Former Employee - Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the company offers a higher pay rate then most other grocery companies, it also offers benifits. Which are pretty good, i never needed the medical but the dental pays for right around 4 fillings or a crown and a filling. the insurance also has a large network.

Cons

the company doesnt always use the best ingredients as it projects it self to, everyone is looking to grow and move up and because of that there is a bunch of underhanded and two faced interacitons between employees. Not a whole lot of room to be creative in lower level or even middle management positions.

WFM

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Good training. Relatively fair compensation.

Cons

Corporate structure has little to no flexibility.

Great place to work, loved the people and the mission

Former Employee - Executive Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Executive Marketing Director

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, foodie environment

Cons

low pay but discount card helps

Wonderful Environment!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Whole Foods Market (more than 3 years)

Pros

Whole Foods offer a decent employee discount. It's a great environment to work in and really helps promote a healthy lifestyle. Their benefits are amazing and opportunity to move up in the company is fairly straightforward.

Cons

They post jobs within the company before releasing them to the public, but the openings are incredibly competitive. A lot of leniency is given to upper management, but not so much on the general workers. Working in a gourmet/healthy grocery store offers lots of chances to run into very needy customers that act very entitled.

Good place to work .

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Cook in South Brooklyn, OH
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Cook in South Brooklyn, OH

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life is flexible and room for up ward movement.

Cons

politics and people tearing each other down .

Need to help the workers.

WFM - Northeast Region

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good training, benefits, compassionate leadership, opportunities for those who work hard

Cons

Sometimes there is a air of favoritism by regional leadership, if you make one mistake it is lauded over your by the RP for a long time, promoting people too soon and setting them up for failure

Ask questions before making snap judgements. There are many moving parts to the business and there needs to be some realism on the part of regional leadership on meeting goals, and giving the tools and help necessary to meet these goals.

Very Satisfied with the experience.

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time

Pros

I worked for this store for a summer right before college and they made me part of their fun staff as soon as I started training. I had fun while working while getting to learn all the different health foods out there. Also discounts helped me afford the expensive goodies!

Cons

You are on your feet all day and it is tiring after a work day. (Though I worked part time) Each shift can get exhausting and time moves slow unless you are kept busy with constant customers in line.

Acknowledge hard workers and more rewards such as discounts, paid vacations, and breaks.

Life changing experience for the better!

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible coworkers who foster independent thinking. A company that promotes innovating ideas and listens to what everyone has to say. Relaxed and casual work environment. Striking new ground and participating in exciting new digital initiatives. Flexible work schedule: hours are 9-5 and you can Telecommute from home one day per week. Discount at the stores. Free yoga classes on-site. Free snacks/meals in the kitchen/break rooms. Honest and transparent: you can go up to the 6th floor and ask to see anyone's salary in the entire company. Standard PTO policy.

Cons

Lower pay than the market rate for most technical positions. No holidays! This really sucks.... we're open 365 days a year. Not so great insurance/retirement options. Very difficult to get hired as a Team Member.

Stay true to the company values and you will continue to shine.

Whole Foods Market Photos