Whole Foods Market

3.6
1,627 Reviews

Whole Foods Market co-CEOs John Mackey and Walter Robb
John Mackey and Walter Robb

Pros
  • Team members have a say in everything that concerns the welfare of the overall company (in 190 reviews)

• Fun place to work, great benefits if you actually get a chance to work full time (in 125 reviews)

Cons
  • When changes are made it is up to team members to figure out the way without any guidance (in 173 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, team leaders promoted to position but not trained -- terrible (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

A lot of talk about values, but it's really the prices that set them apart from the competition.

Current Employee - Team Member in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

There is usually a really inviting atmosphere that is familiar from one location to the next, but each store has a unique flair and setup. Some really excel in produce versus a great grocery department, some are known for having a fantastic selection of vegan items. And it's fun to work with people who know a lot about food, or wine, or preparation, or even gardening and growing heir own food. The company attracts a lot of people with a wide variety of skills and knowledge, and that presents many great opportunities to be exposed to know techniques and information that might not have otherwise crossed your path.

Cons

As great as most of the lateral team members can be to work with, once you begin interacting with anyone higher up the management ladder, you start to question advancement policies and whether or not the company actually cares about the core values they tout so often. Managers are fond of reminding you that there is an open-door policy for any grievances, but this just means that their door is open for you to come in and be told how many different ways you are wrong and disrespectful. Team Leaders will often give themselves the best schedules (although this isn't always the case, it has been my experience with recently promoted Team Leaders), and competence or qualifications are rarely if ever factored into the promotion process. It's always who the managers like and want to promote, which does foster a very fickle work environment.
    The benefits are not nearly as fantastic as they promote them to be: 20% discount which just means that your paycheck goes right back into the stores' coffers (when they say "whole paycheck" it's not the customers being referred to, it's the team members), insurance with a very high deductible and emphasis on preventative care (I don't care if you go for your annual like clockwork, it won't help when you get into a car accident), and no mental health coverage (which between the management and customers, every team member needs).
    Schedules for standard team members are terrible. They put hiring freezes on full time, and make part time employees work closing shifts every shift.

Take Team Leader surveys seriously. When team members complain that you aren't approachable or supportive, maybe it means that you're not approachable and are unsupportive.

Monotonous Work. It's just like working at any other grocery store.

Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good if you stay for a year or plan on staying there long term. Pay is above average when compared to other grocery stores.

Cons

I think the biggest problem is you attend an 8 hour orientation day where they sell you on the lie that they are far better than other retail jobs which is doubtful. The schedule was changed week to week, they'll regularly schedule people to close then open the next day. The schedule was only on a printed sheet of paper in back room. You'd have to drive to the store on thursday afternoons to find out if you were working the next day or saturday, good luck with any plans you may have had! My first week they scheduled me to work on friday night until 10:30pm then expected me to get there at 5:30 a.m. the next day. Unless you like straightening cans, stacking fruit, or being a cashier for 8 hours a day do not apply for this job. The only task I was given was to stack and straighten grocery items on shelf. It gets old quick. I would have been happy to mop the floor or do varied tasks but simply stacking items over and over was unbearable.

Online schedule, Predictable hours, and no employee should be expected to close then open the next day.

Better than most grocery stores

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a real friendly like management no one thinks they're above you.

Cons

The company it's self isn't what it use to be. They use to say how they always give back to the community but they should allow team members to be apart of that

Focus more on how well a person works than how well they do in a interview

Meh

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

The people that work for WFM are amazing! The benefits are pretty good and they pay for most of them so no complaints there.

Cons

There is way too much work, especially for the pay. They dangle the next step of the ladder ahead of you and have you do the work for that next step before you are given it and the pay that goes along with it.

Upper management is disconnected. Go back and work in a store every once and a while and not just to walk around and talk to store leadership but to connect with TMs and get your hands dirty.

Sounded better than it turned out

Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Can be a fun environment, good educational component

Cons

Benefits were not transparent. Promises sounded great but I was not given the facts.

Unprofessional team leaders that need much more training on team leading and communication skills. Very demanding team leaders who show bias. Be watchful of age discrimination. I was told openly that I was much older than the average employee.

Nice people, but lacked real training structures

Former Employee - Produce Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Produce Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time

Pros

Pride in quality products and overall company philosophy, pay scale and benefits are better than the typical "competitive pay/benefits" type of jobs (minimum wage, and no benefits for PT).

Cons

I experienced a real lack of structure when it came to my job training. There was no formal training nor training documents I could refer to in terms of product knowledge or department procedures and duties for my shift. My training consisted of two days of a person telling me random stuff in no particular order.

I don't know if my experience was limited to just my store, but some proper training materials and guides for those who train new employees would be beneficial to them as well as the new Team Members.

Excellent experience, confusing culture.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an amazing place to work in terms of experience. The product being sold is truly exceptional. Whole Foods really is changing the game when it comes to organics, sustainable seafood, and humanely treated animals. There are many different avenues to pursue, in terms of career path. However, there are dead ends in most career paths with the exception of operations. Time off policy is solid, but definitely favors those who've been at the company longer. Benefits are good. Compensation varies wildly from terrible to exceptional, and does not follow industry standards at all.

Cons

Operations determines everything, for better or worse, and at times in defiance of reason. I've seen some terrible decisions made despite input from buyers/specialists/marketing because operations simply liked an idea, whether it was practical or not. I've seen vast waste in terms of money and labor. Work life balance is excellent when it's not the holidays, or when not opening a new location. Overall, the company is struggling with scaling up as quickly as it is. The smaller business culture is still in place, and this definitely causes a fair amount of problems. During new store openings, work/life balance is completely non-existent. Holidays are challenging there, but understandably so.

Revisit bonus structure. Place more trust in your marketers and buyers. Assess the level of autonomy given to individual store team leaders. Be more cautious in terms of hiring family/friends of relation to current leadership. Allow support functions like HR, Marketing, and Buyers to do their jobs - place more trust in the regional teams you are developing.

Great Environment. Ok Pay

Former Employee - Team Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Team Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and take on new projects.

Cons

Overworked, low pay for office staff.

Create more straight line opportunities for advancement. Pay more.

Stressful

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

I enjoyed the creative aspect of my job (chalk artist). Most of the employees in the store were nice. Leadership was somewhat understanding of family emergency.

Cons

Rush, rush, rush! No training. Parameters were not given, and I was "in trouble" if leadership or corporate didn't like what I had done though guidelines were never given and creativity was encouraged. Scheduling is insane. Sometimes wasn't given the schedule until the day before. Come in at 6am one day, then 11 the next. Work Halloween from 4pm to 1am as the store would fall apart if the Thanksgiving signage wasn't up the very next day. Work in other departments even though my work was piling up and deadlines were not extended...just work overtime with pressure not to work overtime (?!). Furthermore, I got back aches and hand cramps from working with an inappropriate set up. I worked with big signs, but never had a permanent, back friendly set up. Way too much pressure for too little pay and too little esteem. Way too little respect given to employees. Felt like a high school camp full of indoctrination. Such a shame, as I love the concept of Whole Foods, liked the actual work, and saw so many people trying so hard. I took a major pay cut to work here, and was okay with that (times being as they are). I just wanted to have a reasonable schedule, clear instructions of what is expected for each task (not a complete breakdown of the entire sign, but clarity on what had to be on it and what wiggle room I had), a decent/comfortable setup to work in,

The good and bad of working at Whole Foods

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of opportunity to move up in the company, employee discount

Cons

Micromanagement x 10. Stringent rules that seem to work against long-term employees. Hourly wages are capped unless you're promoted.

Pay attention to who is doing the work.

Whole Foods Market Photos