Whole Foods Market Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

2,395 Employee Reviews

1. Good

Pros

Great people for the most part, great life adventures, lots of opportunity for moving up or changing departments.

Cons

People aren't perfect, members and leaders have their own motives and agendas, as you find anywhere

Specialty Department Team Member

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, high-quality team members, gainsharing, great work environment, excellent opportunities for advancement, paid time off, great base pay, great presence from upper management.

Cons

Lengthy hiring process, lax attendance policy, lack of accountability in an individual level.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their shortcomings. It is very easy to be lazy at WFM and get away with it (unacceptable).

Whole Foods Bakery

Current Employee - Cake Decorator
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whole Foods has been a solid job where I can come in, do my work well, pick up a pretty decent paycheck, and go home. I take a lot of pride in the quality standards I've been able to set within my department, and the creative freedom allowed in custom designs.

Cons

Over the three years I've been there, there's been a drastic turn away from its founding values and toward corporate shenanigans, which unfortunately means restriction of creative freedom and fewer products made from scratch in house. I don't see it being a company I'd still want to work for in five years.

Advice to Management

Please, train your managers how to manage people. It's not an easy skill, and the success and morale of an entire department or store can depend on the leadership qualities of the managers.

5. associate coordinator

Current Employee - Associate Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market (More than 5 years)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

that i don't have a million dollars and i have to work...

Advice to Management

keep listening to TM's

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been with wholefoods over 7 years. One of the best companies to work for in terms of a grocery store. Great benefits(PTO, medical) co-workers are usually real blue collar folk you can get along with or who are in the same boat so to speak. Really good with time off, always evolving; they now have an app service where you can request time off etc which I think is pretty neat, convenient and organized. Higher manage to stay at your level while also being people to look up to and respect. Do not be afraid to speak your mind at this company and stand up for yourself, in fact they encourage it. Team members get treated with respect and it is shown through appreciation weeks, and team builds. One of the best blue collar jobs out there, just don't let it suck you in.

Cons

Ok so the bad and ugly: While there is a lot of GOOD, keep in mind this is still a grocery store, and unless you plan on moving up get the heck out or use it as a transition job. Some of the people in this business take there job way too seriously, and I am noticing it more now then ever. The Pacific North West region is very uptight and pushing customer service like crazy, understandably so as we are all trying to keep out jobs, but I do not recommend this region. Use it as transition job. Very repetitive and demanding work, and be prepared to keep that grin and saying Hi to the nice customers or the highers ups will e-mail about you behind your back like crazy. Also keep in mind it is very much a corporation, don't fall under the spell of Whole Fools Market, yes yes they do OK for the community etc blah blah but a big business is a business and expect all the b.s. that goes a long with that. I sense bad things with WFM in the future with the upcoming 365 chains they announced. Higher ups tend be very fake and pretend to care. Use them for the benefits and decent pay, but unless you want to make a career faking and smiling your way to top, get out. FAVORITISM is a huge problem in this corporation. this Region (Pacific North West) is crap, way too much competition in the food market so everyone is so friggin uptight.

Advice to Management

Stop being so fake and start following your own rules about transparency. We aren't idiots we know when we're being watched or talked about and you aren't intimidating, so quit the charade and just do your job.

Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Whole Foods Market (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and plenty opportunity to move up

Cons

Lots of politics in management sometimes. You have to go along to get along

Advice to Management

Focus more on employees' competencies to move them up, not because they get along with you

Solid Company, Mixed Leadership

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

Great company culture, solid benefits overall offered, and 20% off on all items in store as an employee is definitely appreciated by all.

Cons

Sometimes the wrong type of people get into leadership positions and no one seems quick to call them out unless they prove to do something terrible like steal from the company.

Advice to Management

Hold Team Leaders more accountable for their actions, instead of just those under them. A team is only as good as its leader, but I feel that seems to be forgotten.

9. WFM is good

Former Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WFM teaches you a lot of really good things about working in an engaged environments, transfers nicely into a more corporate job too. You make lifelong friends.

Cons

You have to work hard and be on time all the time!

10. Meat Department Team Member

Current Employee - Meat Team Member in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Meat Team Member in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment and employees, fast paced, great starting pay, very nice atmosphere, and a lot to learn.

Cons

Occasionally, depending on when you go into work, it can be cold. being at work by 5 in the morning to work in a refrigerator takes some time to get used to. Always start on part time.

Advice to Management

Allow employees full time without having to specialize in an area.

11. Company at a Crossroads

Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whole Foods attracts some of the nicest people on the planet to work for them. People work hard here, and we all get along, for the most part. It's a little UN, with people from all over the world. If you love being with people who care about the world and don't mind working up a sweat, you will probably love your coworkers.

Cons

Where should I start? Retail hours are the worst. The pay is really not good, relative to the skills and hard work they expect. And though the company is growing, it is not easy to move up unless you dedicate your body and soul to the place. Even then it will take many years.

Advice to Management

If you are serious about retaining and promoting your most energetic and talented workers then you need to make the pathway to the top more clear and you need to groom and promote your best people. Each team and each store are an island unto themselves.

Showing 2,395 of 2,416 reviews