Whole Foods Market Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
1837 reviews filtered by

1. Overall good experience with a lot of little frustrations.

Current Employee - Store Graphic Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Graphic Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• Fair to middling pay depending where you are
    • Good work/life balance
    • Decent benefits for a grocer
    • Company makes an effort to support nonprofits at local and global level
    • Offers creative positions at a store level

Cons

• Lacking appreciation for hard work
    • Hard to move up
    • Intense internal interview processes
    • Pay not competitive in larger metropolises (i.e. San Francisco)

I would suggest matching the competitive pay in surrounding market and maintain a focus on Team Member happiness.

I learned quite a bit, but the leadership actively tries to keep those more educated or qualified down.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn a whole lot about the food industry in America and the discount you get on groceries there is a definite perk.

Cons

Company values tenure over hard work, at least at the store at which I worked. I volunteered my time and effort, routinely, and all I got in return was a bad back and low salary. Don't work in the Dairy department. If you are the only hard worker in the department and the back cooler is as cramped for space as it was in my store, you will hurt yourself, GUARANTEED. Instructions for proper lifting techniques go out the window when there is limited storage space for products and you have to get the product out to the aisle quickly so as to appease the Greek-yogurt fiends fighting over those fat-free, high protein/pro-biotic dairy products. Also, most customers treat you like crap.

Equal opportunity and better raises. I might have considered working longer for this company if I had been given more opportunities to succeed.

Shiny exterior, Terrible interior

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your fellow team members are great. I developed some great friendships there. In my department, everyone really cared about each other and we had each others backs. That aspect was a great experience. If you worked hard for your fellow team mates, they would do anything to back you up.

Cons

Leadership was terrible and the clients are the worst human beings on the planet. We were told by our Store team leader that it was not the customers job to be nice to us. Leadership frequently sided with customers even when they were rude and cruel to team members. Often times, the rude customer was rewarded by being given store credit and gift cards or getting items for free. This only renforced their rude behavior because they can come in, be terrible people and get stuff for free for it. The kicker is that leadership just didn't care. They were concerned more with numbers and basket sizes than the well being of their team members. It's just frustrating to see because they put that image out there that they are amazing to their team members and treat them well. Not only that, but if you have a desire to move up, most team leaders will advance their friends. I had been their for 2 years and was already the purchaser for my department in everything except name. I applied for the official purchaser position and was denied. They gave the position to a new person who had barely been with the company and didn't know how to fill orders. Not only that, but they still expected me to help with purchasing which felt like salt in the wound. I quit 3 days after this incident as it was not the first time favoritism was the deciding factor in promotions rather than merit, skill or work ethic.

Back up your team members when they deserve it. Don't say things like "It isn't the customers job to be nice to you" to them. It's the job of every human being to be nice to their neighbor, whole foods isn't exempt from that. All you are doing is breeding distaste for yourselves among team members. This divides the leadership and the workers and creates problems in the work environment. Also, advance those that are best for the position. Don't be a child and advance your friends because they are your friends.

5. Cashier

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great company!! Opportunity for growth

Cons

There's really no cons at all

6. Fun and energetic!

Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to work, the company takes good care of its team member through incentives, in order to retain our health and happiness.

Cons

Management is sometimes slow to hire new team members on the team when needed.

Keep up the good work!

7. Nice place to work for some of the leadership are so stuck up and fake . They do have their favorites and it really

Former Employee - Front Runner in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Front Runner in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the upper Management. The other co - workers in different department willing to help out when needed

Cons

Some of the leadership are nice to work with. Some of them are just are so serious relax

Always keep on the leadership because they will do the complete opposite of what you tell them to benefit them.

8. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Bakery Production Supervisor in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Bakery Production Supervisor in Redmond, WA

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Lovely atmosphere, great benefits, amazing discount on products, opportunity for growth if you are self-motivated, stores and departments autonomous from other markets. Team member training is fantastic and well documented when followed correctly. Fun environment with people that are passionate and enjoyable to work with. The regional team that visited was always very friendly and communicative with all team members, not just the management team.

Cons

With the autonomy of each store and region there is a lot freedom for creativity and innovation but it also lacks some standardization that would leave expectations more clear to the employees and supervisors. Team members entering above supervisor level have much less cohesive training and are more thrown into new positions without the support to set them up for success.

Consider a more cohesive and communicative team of shift leads/and assistant and store manager: a lot of the time different managers tell you to do things differently or in different ways. Be more supportive of newly promoted team leaders and supervisors who do not get training literature as thorough and concise as entering TMS.

9. Great for beginners and the more advanced!

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The leadership here is amazing, everyone is so nice and is willing to help you with anything! The people are great as well, everyone is very welcoming and knows how to train people.
    The company values and benefits are also wonderful for a full-time student like myself. Very Green!

Cons

It's really hard to move up. Where ever you start is most likely wherever you will stay. Plus it is hard to start in grocery or whole body.

Let people Members have more freedom in where they choose to go.

10. Good company to work for but has it's downsides.

Current Employee - Bakery Associate/Barista in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Bakery Associate/Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

When you work for Whole Foods Market you'll meet a variety of people from all walks of life and gain close fun. The meetings have raffles and Team Member appreciations which I found very comforting for those who think they are not recognized for their hard work.

Cons

Like many other work places there is drama within departments that spread throughout the store. My best advice would be to only say things that you wouldn't mind being repeated a billion times and possibly twisted. Just stay honest and don't feed into any negativity.

You have some hardworking part timers that would love full time before the 2 year mark. You guys are losing employees because of this :(

11. LOVE LOVE LOVE WHOLE FOODS MARKET

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement, leadership development, great benefits

Cons

Time off not always guaranteed, number oriented

Lead by example