Whole Foods Market Reviews

1932 reviews filtered by

This company is awesome!

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Trainer
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Trainer

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to move up; They really care about your well being: they have a program called the biometric screening that tests your cholesterol, BP, etc... Depending on how healthy you are, you can raise your discount from 20% to 30%! And let's say you don't get good news back... Your cholesterol is terrible, for example. You can "apply" to go into the immersion program where they send you to a resort for a week where you take classes from Doctors on the health board and health pros from all over the world who teach you how to be healthy, and between those classes there are fitness classes and they feed you the whole time. And the best part? YOU DONT PAY FOR ANYTHING!!! The entire or program, from the flight/gas to the food is free for team members! They sent me to Naples, Florida for Dr Stoll's Immersion. Got to hang out at the beach, do yoga, eat mostly plant based and learn from the best. FOR FREE. They sent my husband (who also works at WFM) to Sedona, Arizona to attend Rip's (from Engine 2) vegan immersion. FOR FREE. This is the most caring company I've ever worked for. The only reason I left was because they don't offer a set schedule (your shifts are different every week). The pay is awesome for a grocery store. In orlando (back when I started in 2011) you started out at $11 and they gave me a dollar raise each year. You're free to be yourself! They accept your tattoos, your piercings, and your crazy colored hair! You can pretty much wear whatever you want as long as it's not offensive. They're constantly appreciating their team members with free stuff and events. THE STORES GET TO VOTE ON THEIR BENEFITS! How amazing is that? Oh, and you get bonus checks every other paycheck as long as the store does well. Seriously: if you're thinking about applying, do it. They're awesome. As long as you don't care about crazy schedules.

Cons

The scheduling is nuts. I hated closing one night then opening the next. Though they are pretty good about giving you the time off you requested and if possible. And I guess that's just how working in a grocery store works. That's really my only gripe unless you get store specific: I don't like how there's such strong favoritism shown for certain team members, but I guess that will be at any job.

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome. Thank you for being so caring and kind. Thanks for always trying to improve yourselves and thanks for honestly trying to make team members happy. Though, I really wish you would keep the Grass Roots feel to each store (it's getting very "corporate" because they're all starting to look the same). Don't forget who you are and what you stand for!

2. Good

I have been working at Whole Foods Market

Pros

they offer a lot of hours for any Flexible Schedule

Cons

the management team has a Lack of communication

3. Overall nice team members and in all departments; made some great friends which helped make up for the boring job.

Former Employee - Cashier in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, managers
    Great pay for cashier position
    Team member discount
    On occasion there would be meetings to learn more about natural food in general and specific products being carried which was a great way to be more informed about the food industry.
    Few people become team leader rather quickly (few months work as cashier)
    Many friendly/engaging customers
    Relaxed dress code
    Great company values
    Hard work is acknowledged at store meetings and through store credit worth $7.50. Many receive multiple of these store credits; there's no limit.

Cons

Some difficult customers, like in all places
    Cashier job was tiring and boring few months in
    There's a point system for when you are late, forget to punch in, call out (even when you are sick). Racking up a certain number of points gets you a warning which can escalate if you're not careful
    Some drama between team members
    Team members get to vote on new comers, but its a joke because if there's one new comer who the majority dislikes for incompetency, they are still kept because of managers. We have had a handful of these hired at the same time.

Advice to Management

Quality control of new hires

I worked part time throughout high school and college.

Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great atmosphere
    -Flexible hours (they were able to accommodate my busy school schedule without any hassle at all)
    -Great starting pay for someone without a degree
    -Store discount makes shopping at Whole Foods reasonable
    -Friendly customers (for the most part)
    The list goes on...

Cons

-I can't think of any cons. It was the best starting job I could have imagined.

Advice to Management

Keep of the good work!

6. Nice Place to Work

Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on Good Food
    Free Food
    Gain Sharing (similar to profit sharing)
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Food stores are open 7 days a week from early until late, so everyone has to pitch in. That means working some early days and some late days.

7. Cashier

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time

Pros

Working for a company that is dedicated to high quality in foods and sourcing. 20% employee discount on all groceries purchased, with opportunity to increase discount up to 30% by passing particular health matrices. Friendly, health-conscious, foodie co-workers.

Cons

This is not a single-parent friendly environment in that the point system penalizes you for time off to care for a sick child - after a certain number of points you are fired; paid time off hours can be used to avoid points, but time off comes in chunks after large increments of hours of work rather than accruing more often; the company likes to hire part-time and gives priority of full-time status to employees that are able to provide maximum availability, meaning that if your availability is limited by daycare hours, you are likely to be overlooked for full-time openings despite a good job review and seniority. Don't believe the hype about Whole Foods paying well compared to other chain retailers with unionization. Like any retail establishment, pay is low enough that if you are a single parent especially, you are likely to also qualify or be on social services even while employed full time. If you are single or part of a two-income household the above may or may not be true.

They walked the walk for the most part

Former Employee - Specialty Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Specialty Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the positive environment and the people I was surrounded by both customers and team members. There are great incentives for working at WFM in regards to compensation, benefits, and promotional opportunities.

Cons

I had a horrible team leader who brought down our whole team. He was really close with the store director and there was a sense of defeat. Our team knew there was no way out.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership should make sure that team members are given positive outlets to provide feedback of their leadership.

9. Great experience, lots of genuine people working very hard with a purpose in mind.

Current Employee - Associate Team Leader in Willowbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Team Leader in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, good company, great coworkers

Cons

It's hard to get time off and weekends and holidays are usually spent at work

Great environment, benefits, and people

Former Employee - Cashier in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Wage, friendly people/environment, and lots of benefits!

Cons

Lack in career growth and needs flexibility for students who can only work for a few months at a time

11. The other team members are fun but you have to be favored by store leadership.

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

The other team members there made it great to work there. You meet a lot Iif coil people .

Cons

If you not favored by store leadership then they will try their best to get you out of there. FIRST IN FIRST OUT

Advice to Management

You should get to know your team members on a preofessional level. What they see and learn is what they do....then along the line they get in trouble for something they was taught earlier in the job. And the hate to give unemployment.

Whole Foods Market Photos