Whole Foods Market

www.wholefoodsmarket.com
Employer Engaged

Working at WFM is like going to work, and being with your family all day. You love them, but they can drive you crazy!

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Durham, NC

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

The people you get to work with are amazing! The benefits, PTO, employee discount and job perks are stellar! Also, it's extremely easy to transfer to other stores and work your way up in the company!!! They are a fair in that they don't start their new hires at a higher rate of pay! Everyone gets the same treatment.

Cons

The pay is not a live able wage. The groceries and hot bar are still expensive with your discount. The company could be more compassionate about their employees health, for example giving their pregnant cashiers stools to sit on. The breaks are also too short! I would rather an unpaid hour long break, than a paid half hour.

Management really differs from store to store. Some store managers work hard and are on the floor with their employees. Others are not. Those who lead by example, are the best you can get! I have a wonderfully caring team environment.

Not bad but DEFINITELY not good

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Marietta, GA

I worked at Whole Foods Market part-time (less than a year)

Pros

High hourly wage for retail
    Some customers make me laugh
    I enjoy my co-workers
    Gain sharing
    Looks good on resume since it is a growing company
    20% discount
    Inspires me to want to eat and live healthier

Cons

This job has run its course. I'm so over it now. I've been a cashier for 6 months and I'm miserable. Every day that I have to go in, I feel apart of me dying or being ate at. The team leader, assistant team leader and a few supervisors of the front end aren't where they SHOULD be. They are incompetent and incapable of managing grown people! Some customers are nice but most of them are rude and demanding. I'm just over it.

Hire competent people. Matter of fact it doesn't matter. I'm never working with this company anymore anyway so.....

horrible

Former Employee - Crew Member in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Providence, RI

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay and discount card

Cons

working with managers and bosses that shouldnt even have the job, very racist, and dont help you move up in the company unless you kiss butt all day

get people that actually know what they are doing

Sadly has become a large corporation disguised as a caring company with core values.

Current Employee - Supervisor, Buyer, Team Member in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor, Buyer, Team Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Many Amazing Team Members
    -Family atmosphere amongst lots of employees with great long lasting friendships.
    -Nice discount, healthy food, good organic standards that are taken seriously.
    -Lots of opportunity to learn new things if you put forth the initiative.
    -Very fun place to work on good days.
    -PWA health care spending card that is great as long as you don't get very sick or injured.
    -The company supports many good causes.
    -Team Member involvement in decisions made to do with gainsharing and other benefits.
    -Team Member emergency fund supported by TM donations that is there to help employees in need.

Cons

-Shareholders and profits more important than Team Members or their happiness these days.
    -People afraid to lose their job if they speak up about injustice or say anything negative about their position or the company.
    -Overworked employees continuing to be forced to take on more duties to compensate for ongoing and increasing labor budget cuts while money is spent left and right on remodels or new store openings.
    -Unrealistic expectations resulting in constant feeling of underachievement.
    -Politics at every turn.
    -Leaders rewarded and promoted for making the numbers no matter what they had to do or who they had to step on along the way to get there.
    -High deductible health care plan that supports the belief that if you eat healthy you won't get sick or need better insurance.

-Take better care of your Team Members. They really are the foundation of upholding the quality and standards of excellence that the company was based upon. If you lose track of this you will lose everything. Give them more reasons to feel like they are doing a great job on a daily basis and make certain that they have the tools necessary to achieve this goal.
    -Be aware of what the company's policy changes are doing to morale at the most fundamental level and be willing to take the risk to listen and address this head on rather than to continue to justify it to yourself or others so you can keep your pay or power.
    -Don't always put on the corporate blinders when it comes to seeing what is happening at your own store.

A Good Concept that lost its way.

Former Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is very good for the retail/supermarket industry, especially for someone looking for a job in high school because it would be hard to find a job with benefits and a good starting pay. Health and dental benefits were very comprehensive including a health savings account. The dress code is very liberal and you are allowed to express yourself (within reason) which is a great concept compared to so many cardboard looking uniform stores. You get an employee discount and there are always events going on so you are not bored. Also, the company seems to care about being environmentally and socially responsible with its donations and whole planet foundation. My co-workers were a mixed bag but I had more good ones than bad ones. Although the quality of food has changed, it was awesome to experience such a wide variety of foods.

Cons

Keep in mind, without these Cons I would have rated Whole Foods at 4 or 5 stars. I worked in Whole Body from 2006-2011, so I mainly speak based on my experience in this area, so here goes...

1. Your compensation is contingent upon the business of the store, which means if you have a busy store you will get your 40 hours and gain share. There are also more opportunities for promotion. With a good gain share, it diminishes the need for raises, which sounds great in theory. My store on the other hand was a slower store, and business was brought down even further during the recession, which meant my hours were cut down to 30. There was no gain share, and sometimes I was asked to work off the clock.

2. The store team leaders gave whole body no support in the way of helping customers, marketing, making new ideas, or even trying to grow the sales. Leadership had no interest in whole body ( because they come from grocery retail backgrounds) and would usually push customers on to us, even when we were busy. They wanted nothing to do with the department, and would avoid setting foot within 5 feet of the sales floor. Even when it came to manager complaints, they wanted nothing to do with it.

3. Because leadership wanted nothing to do with whole body, communication was very poor and we were left out of store meetings. Very little enforcement of new policies, especially since they didnt want to come near whole body.

4. Whole body is the most customer intensive part of the store, and as a result about 75% of the customers were either rude, snobby, irate, verbally aggressive and nasty for no reason. This made for a very unhealthy work atmosphere, which defeats the purpose of healthy living. Most would complain that an item was too expensive or they could get it cheaper or it just didn't work. Brace yourself if you're a male having to help a woman with makeup because they will verbally assault you to the 5th degree. I think they call that discrimination... I made several attempts to make this aspect of working less toxic but everything fell on deaf ears because Store Leadership wanted nothing to do with Whole Body.

5. There are cliques like high school, except these cliques determine who gets promoted, hired, etc... If you are not in the store clique then you have 2 options. Either transfer to another store or leave the company.

6. I saw a lot of good workers let go due to their time and attendance policy. If you were late 5 times within 6 months (this may have changed) you were let go, yet I saw countless employees who were horrible and lazy but they knew how to work the system because they always came on time, but were not productive.

7. Nepotism in the region where I worked

8. Extreme disconnect between the regional office and the stores.

Things may have changed since I left (hopefully for the better). As upset as I was at the time, I can't thank them enough because I landed another job and I am in a better place since I left WFM.

Lead bread baker

Former Employee - Bread Baker in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Bread Baker in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a fair pay rate

Cons

Promotion was very subjective and depended on people that may no nothing of your job or duties.

NA

careless management

Former Employee - Food Service in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Food Service in Tustin, CA

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great management policy!
    (but it doesn't work as expected!)

Cons

the above mentioned "great management policy!" is not applied in real practice!

this is to higher management of the WFM not to their lower layers, which are the trouble in fact:

do check out your lower management layers > they're cheating on you!

there's a great option there in WFM, which lets regular employees to make suggestions or complaints to the top management of the company, regarding the in-store managerial staff, via the computer, online ... but the in-store managerial staff don't let the regular employees to do this online and by themselves via their own computers for example! they just ask the employee to go to the store office and use the store's manager's computer for this purpose, and after the employee is done typing in whatever they want, the manager comes around and doesn't let the employee click the Send button by himself and just tells them to go out of the room!

it's perfectly clear what this means and i don't need to go explain further, do i?

Sometimes the customer isn't right

Former Employee - Front End Cashier
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy to get approval for time off, benefits available, lots of free merch: hats, tshirts, hoodies, etc. Supportive environment. Good camraderie and nice people.

Cons

The front end is the worst team to work for simply because customers have so much power. The lax return policy will make your blood boil sometimes because of how much foolishness customers can get away with. Also, management may side with the customer over you EVEN if you're following company guidelines. Best bet is to start here then move to another team.

Back up your cashiers when they are right. Customers are wrong too sometimes! More breaks and make stools available. Our shifts are long and hard on our feet and backs.

WFM

I worked at Whole Foods Market

Pros

Great Insurance, Pretty Awesome Co-workers

Cons

Slowly forming into a typical coorporation

Many opportunities

Current Employee - Team Leader in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Naples, FL

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to move within departments and up in departments. Great benefits; health insurance, gain sharing, stock options, vacation hours, etc. Great to work in company supporting ethical agriculture and treatment of animals.

Cons

Constant push for team members to move up in status. Some team members are good in their position and would be best to stay. Would help create solid teams.

Better coordination with vendors, supply, and sale promotions. Often items promoted as sale and then out of stock almost immediately.....customers not happy but do accept rainchecks.

Whole Foods Market Photos