Wholesale Interiors

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chuck Tanner

Fantastic place for entry into furniture merchandising and operations.

Bensenville, IL

ProsA very patient managerial staff that provides background and training to excel in this environment. The companies clients include very big names including Wayfair, Wal-mart, Target, Staples and many more! I was completely new to this world and my supervisor provided incredible training and support for the first 2 weeks and before long I was managing the day-to-day operations of this account! I have learned so much and the experience has changed me very much for the better. The benefits are great too. The staff is quite young and energetic, they are fun to be around and are open to sharing their knowledge with others. On the whole, the staff is very capable and this company will continue to grow.

ConsWe never closed for weather-related issues. I thought this was a problem for the longer commuters. The Chicago winter was brutal and we continued to operate--mainly because we get so back-ed up everytime we close. However, it was still quite tough.

The positive remarks must be written by the owners.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaycheck was on time, often wrong but corrected without much hassle.

ConsToo many to list but I can assure you that the one star reviews are spot on and the others are made up. During my short tenure there were kissing bugs from China and all paper towels were removed from bathrooms and kitchen.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they won't care.

be careful before you work here

ProsI've worked here over a year and other than a paycheck, there isn't any reason to consider this company

Consmanagement rules by fear yet are not consistent in their direction. I have seen people there in the morning and by lunch they are gone. It doesn't seem that anyone makes it past 6 months. Maybe I should feel lucky I've been there a lot longer than that. If I knew then what I know now, I would have kept looking

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quite possibly, the worst managed company I have ever been involved with.

Management (Former Employee)

ProsHonestly, none that I can think of.

ConsOwnership does not know or care enough about what it takes to run a successful organization. They are rude, lack any type of professionalism, deceitful. Although company sales are high, so is stress, their return rate and their cost of doing business. The turnover is the highest I have ever seen. One of the owners thought he was an expert on any subject matter because he read an article about it. There is no WMS, so trying to run a 300,000 square foot distribution center is near impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on creating a culture where team members are treated fairly. Take some basic leadership courses since it is obvious that neither owner has what I would call basic people skills.

Great place to work

Bensenville, IL

ProsYoung culture, big variety of different jobs to do, managers were great if you could get your job done.

ConsStaff coming and going, always training someone new in. Business was growing fast so processes were changing to keep up which makes the job a bit more tricky. Hiring was slower than the growth of the company but the people that were coming in weren't the best so they would get fired and we'd have to train a new person until we got the right fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed working at wholesale interiors, my manger was fair but I didn't get a lot of face time. Basically I got my work and did it. If I completed all of my tasks I went to help out where ever I was needed. The work is the work so I have no complaints about that but I'd like to see a better employment screening process in place because every time you made a bad hire it really impacted everyone. All of our work load doubled up until a new person was brought in.

Also, people are complaining about overtime, I have a kid in daycare so I hit the door at 830 and was out at 5pm and no one ever said anything to me. In over a year I came in, did my job and left and didn't have any problems.

Do not give this company a chance as your employer or furniture supplier.

Bensenville, IL

ProsPaychecks were always on time. This sentence is just to fill the twenty word minimum, since there were no actual "pros" to this job.

ConsTo put it simply, EVERYTHING was negative. Staff changes on a weekly basis, policies are HORRENDOUS, customer service is a scam. "Management" ducks around issues and treats all employees like children. They literally do not supply paper towels for you to, I don't know, dry your hands or eat lunch. The inventory system is a guessing game. Customer's are NOT catered to IN ANY way, they are turned away and laughed at for the company's shortcomings. No time off. No incentive to sell, although that's ALL management pushes. My manager said on multiple occasions that customer service comes second to sales. All they care about is money, and not at all about the people helping them make it. This was by far the worst job I ever had, and I didn't even complete my 90 day probationary period.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen this company inevitably fails, take jobs where you aren't managing anyone or anything because you're all incompetent.

Employees are just cogs in the Shen/Tanner money-making machine

Bensenville, IL

ProsThe people, besides the owners, are nice. You get a good deal on the furniture.

ConsThe owners are greedy and do not care about the well-being of the employees. Some of the appalling things I saw while working there for a mere 3 months:
    -Labor laws being broken on a consistent basis, especially in regards to pay
    -Many employees are on visas so they cannot afford to question the owners unethical actions or else they risk losing their jobs
    -Retail manager belittling his employees and using an unnecessarily hostile tone of voice
    -Insect infestation, including in the bathrooms and kitchen
    -No paper towels provided for employees. Inadequate hand dryer in the bathroom. Employees had to exit the bathroom with sopping wet hands
    -Filthy office. The cleaning crew didn't even come half the time and when they did, they barely cleaned. My trash wasn't taken out for over a week a few times and my desk was cleaned maybe twice in 3 months. There are large stains all over the carpet
    -Disorganized and terribly inefficient processes
    -No IT department even though 75% of the business deals with e-commerce
    -Many of the Chinese employees do not speak English well
    -A culture of fear: Anybody who questions the owners gets fired shortly thereafter
    -Workers have been instructed not to be friends with one another
    -The customer service is TERRIBLE. I could overhear the retail department fielding calls every day and they are completely inflexible when it came to the already-ludicrous store policy.
    -I worked as a cashier a few weekends in the showroom and I saw customers who had rented a truck and driven a long distance because they had been told their merchandise was in stock. However, the warehouse couldn't find it that day and the people were turned away and told to come back for it another time. I overheard similar things happen when I worked in the office.
    -250,000 sq. foot warehouse + a secondary warehouse, but no barcodes on the items-This leads to a LOT of inventory problems
    -Owners don't understand the concept of an investment-they don't want to spend ANY money, even if they may gain money in the long run
    -They have received an F from the Better Business Bureau
    -Salaried employees cannot leave work early or come late for ANYTHING unless it is an actual emergency and there will be a literal disaster if you do not leave. Partial day absences are not tolerated, even for things such as doctor/dentist appointments
    -Salaried employees have to punch in and out on a time card
    -Repetitive work that offers no opportunity for personal/professional growth
    -No way to acquire more responsibility or move up in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like they are sub-human. Start respecting people's rights.

The place is filthy and very depressing, it's a company you would imagine in a 3rd world country.

Sales (Former Employee)
    Bensenville, IL

ProsThe place will really motivate you to find another job.

ConsSupervisors are Chinese and do not speak English and are uneducated. The place is absolutely disgusting and run down. Their furniture is all cheap and imported from China. No one there has any professional business training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat goes around comes around, you have created a lot of bad Karma the way you treat employees.

Lots of exposure to a lot of different jobs.

Operations (Former Employee)
    Bensenville, IL

ProsI learned about a lot of different kinds of work people were great

ConsThe work load changes a lot, heavy in the start of the week and then not much late in the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked here for over a year and the whole business about doubled and the staff didn't double so the work load was heavy and there wasn't a lot of training. I could basically take on any job that I wanted to if I had the time so I learned a bunch about accounting and large customer management. So the good part was I could learn anything I want but the bad part was there wasn't enough people. If I could give advice it would be hire more people. Overall I got a lot more responsibility than anyone ever gave me before and it really helped me in my new job.

“Revolving Door - Highest Turnover I've Ever Seen”

Bensenville, IL

ProsThe only Pro is that I have met co-workers that have become great friends. Other than that, I wish this place would go out of business so it doesn't ruin other people's lives. If you want to work over time and not get paid, being yelled at by upper management like you are a child, and watch people get fired just because of some power trip...This job is for you. It is the most unorganized place I have ever seen and not only do they treat their employees awful, they treat their customers awful too. Part of the reason they are so unorganized is the revolving door that doesn't allow people to be fully trained. The owners have such tunnel vision and everyone else is afraid to say anything in fear of losing their jobs.

ConsThe office building itself breaks every health and safety code and is incredibly dirty and depressing. They give each person the work load for about two and a half people and expect you to finish it in an 8-12 hour day, but they do not pay overtime. They are more than happy to dock your pay if you are a minute late. They will talk down to you in English, Chinese, and Mandarin. The product they sell is just as dirty and depressing. I would not put this stuff in my house if it was given to me for free. Nothing is free there though...they will not give customers refunds, they are all about money and covering up mistakes. If they spent the energy that they use covering up mistakes on training people, they might have a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lost some of the best employees that I have seen. You should take criticism as a positive thing but your company had the worst reputation from both employees and consumers. I loved the people I worked with but could not stand behind a company or product that I do not believe in nor believes in their employees...and well...you know your products are below poor quality.

Worked for Wholesale Interiors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wholesale Interiors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wholesale Interiors CEO Chuck Tanner. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Wholesale Interiors employees.