Wholesale Interiors

2.0

Chuck Tanner

Great company and products

I have been working at Wholesale Interiors full-time

Pros

Fastest place I've ever gotten promoted at. I got to move from a part time job in the store to a full time job in the office in customer service then full time in operations (with a raise each time). I can take on as much workload as I want.

Cons

Company is growing so we are always training people. It's a fifty fifty chance that a person will work out so we can spend a month training and then have to start all over again.

There needs to be better product training for people that are starting up.

This is customer service company

Current Employee - Merchandise Operation Assistant in Bensenville, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Operation Assistant in Bensenville, IL

I have been working at Wholesale Interiors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I don't know what everyone is complaining at Wholesale Interiors. The reason customer service is awful is because the people who left had made it awful. and some of the remaining folks still make it awful. They didn't/don't want to work they wanted to complain and just get a paycheck. Many are young and just don't have a strong work ethic, Ive been here for quite sometime and its fine here, except they have hired some really inexperienced people who just don't actually want do the job they were hired to do. They want to complain its unfair for them not to take a half day off whenever they want or the managers are hand holding them and that they actually have to call customers back. You are in customer service at this company you have to call your accounts. You are hired to do spreadsheets do them.

Also the thing with the paper towels. They took them away because people would flush them down the toilet and they would then clog up. Not cool.

The owners are fine, they started this company and they are doing the best they can. They are keeping me employed and I'm doing my job. If I come up with something to make things better they give me a cheer. Otherwise I keep my head down and do my work.

Also I have never failed to get a bonus. Most companies don't give you that for customer service. Sales maybe but not customer service.

I hear there will be some new management in customer service so that may help. And that the hiring practices are going to be tougher, maybe this will weed out the complainers

Cons

Too many new people, hopefully the hiring practices will get stronger. And then their lead times to learn would be less and they can take some of the load. Would like some additional days off the longer I stay at the company.

Fire the people who don't want to do their job and hire people who actually can do the work. Pay more for the experienced help.

Manipulative, dishonest, disrespectful

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time

Pros

Paycheck as promised. Benefits. Great colleagues. Made some great friends here.

Cons

Ownership, upper management, and the policies they set are manipulative, dishonest, and disrespectful. This goes for how customers are treated and how employees are treated. Company does a lot of business, makes a lot of money, grows more and more every year but there is little room for personal career growth. There are "promotions" now and then but they make those decisions 100% based on what is best for them than what any new position in the company can do for your career and your goals.

I just want to point out the ludicrousness of what these positive reviews are suggesting: that a large percent of the employees are no good. Do you want to surround yourself with this kind of negativity in the workplace? This unprofessional mindset? Like another reviewer mentioned, the positive reviews are written by the owners. Or upper management/those who are tight with them.

What does it say to you when an employer decides to write fake reviews blaming its own employees for the problems the company has instead of taking the time to look into the concerns voiced here, working to improve employee satisfaction and reinventing the company culture? And if these recent positive reviews are genuine, (doubtful) what does it say about this work environment? An environment where your own coworkers think you are a complainer and don't want to get your work done? No thanks! I worked here for a couple years and my work friends across all departments and I were all very diligent about doing a good job. Our year end reviews were positive. If anyone ever thought we were lazy or complainers, it was never mentioned. So I don't believe these positive reviews for a second.

If you are considering a job here, I'd take seriously the knowledge that this employer/other employees are talking smack about fellow workers. It happens in the office. It happens behind your back when they think you can't understand Chinese (translator apps using my phone's mic worked great). It happens on this very website. I have even heard a lot of smack talk about interviewees right after they were interviewed. I have heard a lot of racism from a manager. By taking a job here, at some point you will be that person they're putting down and disrespecting.

Ain't nobody got time for that. You have value. You deserve respect. You deserve better.

Much advice could be given but it would fall on deaf ears, so I wont bother. They really do put very little value on the satisfactions of employees that make their millions possible.

Fantastic place for entry into furniture merchandising and operations.

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time

Pros

A very patient managerial staff that provides background and training to excel in this environment. The companies clients include very big names including Wayfair, Wal-mart, Target, Staples and many more! I was completely new to this world and my supervisor provided incredible training and support for the first 2 weeks and before long I was managing the day-to-day operations of this account! I have learned so much and the experience has changed me very much for the better. The benefits are great too. The staff is quite young and energetic, they are fun to be around and are open to sharing their knowledge with others. On the whole, the staff is very capable and this company will continue to grow.

Cons

We never closed for weather-related issues. I thought this was a problem for the longer commuters. The Chicago winter was brutal and we continued to operate--mainly because we get so back-ed up everytime we close. However, it was still quite tough.

The positive remarks must be written by the owners.

I worked at Wholesale Interiors

Pros

Paycheck was on time, often wrong but corrected without much hassle.

Cons

Too many to list but I can assure you that the one star reviews are spot on and the others are made up. During my short tenure there were kissing bugs from China and all paper towels were removed from bathrooms and kitchen.

None, they won't care.

be careful before you work here

I have been working at Wholesale Interiors (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked here over a year and other than a paycheck, there isn't any reason to consider this company

Cons

management rules by fear yet are not consistent in their direction. I have seen people there in the morning and by lunch they are gone. It doesn't seem that anyone makes it past 6 months. Maybe I should feel lucky I've been there a lot longer than that. If I knew then what I know now, I would have kept looking

Quite possibly, the worst managed company I have ever been involved with.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, none that I can think of.

Cons

Ownership does not know or care enough about what it takes to run a successful organization. They are rude, lack any type of professionalism, deceitful. Although company sales are high, so is stress, their return rate and their cost of doing business. The turnover is the highest I have ever seen. One of the owners thought he was an expert on any subject matter because he read an article about it. There is no WMS, so trying to run a 300,000 square foot distribution center is near impossible.

Focus on creating a culture where team members are treated fairly. Take some basic leadership courses since it is obvious that neither owner has what I would call basic people skills.

Do not give this company a chance as your employer or furniture supplier.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bensenville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bensenville, IL

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paychecks were always on time. This sentence is just to fill the twenty word minimum, since there were no actual "pros" to this job.

Cons

To put it simply, EVERYTHING was negative. Staff changes on a weekly basis, policies are HORRENDOUS, customer service is a scam. "Management" ducks around issues and treats all employees like children. They literally do not supply paper towels for you to, I don't know, dry your hands or eat lunch. The inventory system is a guessing game. Customer's are NOT catered to IN ANY way, they are turned away and laughed at for the company's shortcomings. No time off. No incentive to sell, although that's ALL management pushes. My manager said on multiple occasions that customer service comes second to sales. All they care about is money, and not at all about the people helping them make it. This was by far the worst job I ever had, and I didn't even complete my 90 day probationary period.

When this company inevitably fails, take jobs where you aren't managing anyone or anything because you're all incompetent.

Employees are just cogs in the Shen/Tanner money-making machine

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, besides the owners, are nice. You get a good deal on the furniture.

Cons

The owners are greedy and do not care about the well-being of the employees. Some of the appalling things I saw while working there for a mere 3 months:
    -Labor laws being broken on a consistent basis, especially in regards to pay
    -Many employees are on visas so they cannot afford to question the owners unethical actions or else they risk losing their jobs
    -Retail manager belittling his employees and using an unnecessarily hostile tone of voice
    -Insect infestation, including in the bathrooms and kitchen
    -No paper towels provided for employees. Inadequate hand dryer in the bathroom. Employees had to exit the bathroom with sopping wet hands
    -Filthy office. The cleaning crew didn't even come half the time and when they did, they barely cleaned. My trash wasn't taken out for over a week a few times and my desk was cleaned maybe twice in 3 months. There are large stains all over the carpet
    -Disorganized and terribly inefficient processes
    -No IT department even though 75% of the business deals with e-commerce
    -Many of the Chinese employees do not speak English well
    -A culture of fear: Anybody who questions the owners gets fired shortly thereafter
    -Workers have been instructed not to be friends with one another
    -The customer service is TERRIBLE. I could overhear the retail department fielding calls every day and they are completely inflexible when it came to the already-ludicrous store policy.
    -I worked as a cashier a few weekends in the showroom and I saw customers who had rented a truck and driven a long distance because they had been told their merchandise was in stock. However, the warehouse couldn't find it that day and the people were turned away and told to come back for it another time. I overheard similar things happen when I worked in the office.
    -250,000 sq. foot warehouse + a secondary warehouse, but no barcodes on the items-This leads to a LOT of inventory problems
    -Owners don't understand the concept of an investment-they don't want to spend ANY money, even if they may gain money in the long run
    -They have received an F from the Better Business Bureau
    -Salaried employees cannot leave work early or come late for ANYTHING unless it is an actual emergency and there will be a literal disaster if you do not leave. Partial day absences are not tolerated, even for things such as doctor/dentist appointments
    -Salaried employees have to punch in and out on a time card
    -Repetitive work that offers no opportunity for personal/professional growth
    -No way to acquire more responsibility or move up in the company

Stop treating your employees like they are sub-human. Start respecting people's rights.

The place is filthy and very depressing, it's a company you would imagine in a 3rd world country.

Former Employee - Sales in Bensenville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Bensenville, IL

I worked at Wholesale Interiors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The place will really motivate you to find another job.

Cons

Supervisors are Chinese and do not speak English and are uneducated. The place is absolutely disgusting and run down. Their furniture is all cheap and imported from China. No one there has any professional business training.

What goes around comes around, you have created a lot of bad Karma the way you treat employees.