Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters

Updated July 20, 2014
Updated July 20, 2014
2.7

John Schaefer

Company on the cusp of success

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great upper management, good work to life balance. Processes in place for future growth. Genuine shared passion for the business across all levels.

Cons

Buying operations poor at times, communication struggles between corporate staff and store-level management. Product in-stock levels inconsistent. Many growing pains.

Great atmosphere, great people, corporate issues.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters

Pros

In-store management is very supportive, fun atmosphere. If it were not for the upper management and in store staff, I probably would have left a long time ago.

Cons

Corporate has a definite superiority complex and does not always communicate well. Sales staff is underpaid for the job they perform.

Hiring wage should be raised and supply chain problems need to be addressed for the corperation to move forward and compete.

disparaging experiences

I have been working at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters

Pros

draws group of outdoor enthusiasts

Cons

wants non thinkers, lack of supervision, poor management at store level, low wages, long commitments.

monitor store level management more closely, take a closer look at culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting work, poorly managed

I worked at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount, fun, room for growth

Cons

Clueless store manager, no support from HR regarding inter store conflicts

Listen to the employees

Great in the beginning

Former Employee - Category Manager  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of great products and people

Cons

Last management did not understand the business

Frustrating and Pathetic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mainly good group of people on staff side. Customers are on the whole are pretty good and understanding considering the fact of drastic lack of stock.

Cons

No support from Head Office, unprofessional senior management, lack of distribution center, lack of stock, poor seasonal buy in and exits plans.

UFA should investigate WSS senior" leadership" team, and pay attention to what the stores are concerned about.

at first it was great, but since ufa took over it went down very quickly

Former Employee - Archery Department Manager  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Archery Department Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

most of the front line staff were awesome, and the discounts were ok

Cons

the management, both at the store level, and at corporate level couldn't find the ground in the dark with both hands, low pay rate for highly trained staff, management playing favorites with staff, not enough stock to satisfy customer demands, corporate management always wanted higher profits, but wouldn't let us have the stock we needed to do it, can't give any critisim to management or you will be fired or in my case "terminated without cause"

get a clue as to how to run a business. The only way you're running a business is into the ground, not my concern anymore anyway, so go hard or go home...

Good culture, confusing direction

I have been working at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters full-time

Pros

Great company culture. Everyone gives 100% on the corporate side. Loves to promote from within. Great opportunities if you live in Langley.

Cons

Volatile directorship. Lack of clarifications and constantly changing goals and expectations. Pay is below industry standards while expectations are above industry standards.

Hire some purchasers with purchasing experience, not just wholesale sports experience. The existing team needs constructive coaching from professionals. They want to do well but it seems the bar is constantly moved.

It has its ups and downs, but been a good company overall

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters part-time

Pros

Staff have fun together, great work ethics, fun customers, pays well for retail wage, very flexible, family oriented company,

Cons

Stock issues, hire as part time only, inexperienced management in some departments, some rebuilding required in departments

Use your long term staff members as tools to train your new employees and enhance the store sales. You`d be amazed on the knowledge that is there.

Great co-workers and a fun place to work, as long as all you wanted was a summer job.

I have been working at Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters

Pros

Co-workers were great. It was so nice to be able to work with many other people who share a love of the outdoors even though you're in retail.
    Clientele is good. Sometimes you'll have the irate customer or two but most are very patient and understanding even when we can't help them with what they need. It's also fun to talk with people who also enjoy hunting/fishing/camping and came into the store just to find that stuff.

Cons

Management has me seriously worried. Working in Customer Service leaves me seriously embarrassed sometimes. Way too often we seem to run out of things customers are looking for, but this is only the beginning of the problem. Quite often we seem to run out of Romeo's which are HUGE sellers. So they ask, "Are you all out of size X Romeo's?" I'll ask if they checked in footwear and they'll respond yes. Then they ask, "So when are you getting your next shipment in?" Now I'm even more uneasy because not only do we not get told up at Front End when shipments get in, but about 4 out of 5 times when I call back to footwear to ask them their answer is also I don't know. I really want to provide the best customer service but now I'm honestly stuck practically telling this customer I don't know when we're getting a shipment in, not because I don't care, but because apparently it's too hard to have buyers in stores so we run out of inventory all the time and the buyers seem to be completely out of touch with the department they work in because the associates never seem to know when the shipments are coming in. We can't do special orders, whether it be a gun or just anything else even though small gun stores will gladly order guns for customers. I know we have phone orders, but that's nearly impossible to do as well since hardly any of our employees can log in to retail net to see if any of the other stores have the item in stock. I understand we can't always have what the customer is looking for, but for a company that wants to compete with other top outdoor outfitters and a company that is convinced they can open 50 odd more stores there seems to be WAY too many problems they need to address before they can be taken seriously. I'm not going to comment much on the pay, but it's sad. We really have a crew of awesome employees who bust their tail trying to do many different jobs thanks to all the hour cuts and corners cut by corporate and I know that the managers at each store see the effort we put in but it doesn't seem like corporate could care less about us. We regularly have people sent home because they need to cut more hours and yet customers complain nearly every day about how understaffed we are. I still really try to do a good job working there, but I can tell you I am so much less motivated than when I first started working there knowing that all the work hard and you'll get promoted spiel was just a bunch of lies. I feel like I've gone from nearly full-time hours back to more like a seasonal worker. If anything, it's like I've gotten this progressive demotion.

If we had upper management go into our stores and shadow employees working in the departments it wouldn't even take an hour before they could see how rough it is when the customers can't find what they're looking for and the employee can't give them the answers because we're kept so far out of the loop. I can't stand how money hungry UFA is getting, they are really going to go in too deep over their heads if they open all these new stores but can't figure out how to get a center warehouse. So I love my co-workers, and we really work hard, but management is a joke and I feel like they have this false sense of everything being under control when in reality it seems like we're barely even getting by some days.

Worked for Wholesale Sports and Outdoor Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!