Whsmith

Be The First To
Add Photos

Whsmith CEO and Director Kate Swann

Kate Swann

Pros:
  • "Friendly, good customers, challenging busy environment"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The collegues I worked with on the shop floor were amazing"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Heating broke 5 years ago and was never fixed in the store I worked in, it was very very cold in winter"
    in 4 reviews
  • "As a young worker felt like I was treated worse than the older staff and taken advantage off, faced a lot of pressure to agree to overtime"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Busy. As I work in a town on weekends its always busy, and mostly the customers are nice but you do get some vile people

Telford, England (UK)

ProsThe best reasons for myself would be the returning customers, you get to know people easily and its nice to meet new people and get to know them so they become regular customers in our shop and each of our staff behind tills all have a favorite customer. Also we have many people with disabilities that come into our shop and its an amazing experience to help them and it makes me personally feel proud.

ConsThe challenges are being really busy on a weekend, with being on the shop floor having to deal with returns and having long ques as the customers mostly are not keen on going through self service so we encourage them by offering help but still they can refuse and this builds onto the line and more stress and having to constantly scan your bounce backs and remembering to offer 1p bags or our offers, especially when we are low on staff.

Stayed too long

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsSome stores have a really close knit team though this tends not to be the case in the larger stores.

ConsPoor pay and badly run.Staff are not appreciated and most of the decent benefits have been taken away.Stores look tatty.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating staff

Poor Staff treatment

Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsThe location of the shops, and the customers that attend

ConsLeadership with explicit language and negative perspective reflects on staff

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more positive to motivate the staff!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for part time positions

Stevenage, England (UK)

ProsWeekend contract gave me a chance to work with friendly people as part of a team and develop good customer service and retail experience

ConsLacked opportunities for career development or extending hours in a fixed contract basis. Only granted as occasional over time when needed

Supervisor

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsGet to work with a range of staff members who are capable of many different skills and have different outlooks to a problem to get to solved quickly and efficiently.

Received training which helped me better myself for any possible future jobs.

ConsTime scales to complete a challenge can be very strict.

If any problems arises then it is upon your head to get it sorted

receive a lot of trouble from customers due to expensive prices and stock can be troublesome to get a hold off

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink prices, many sales were lost due to customer choice being restricted, such as £2 for a fizzy drink where they can go to the next shop for a better priced and more varied choice.

Listen to staff members from stores as they have amazing ideas to improve the shop or company and get pushed aside because of it.

Fantastic emplotment

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

ProsI work with fantastic people. Lots of jobs to do and always friendly employers.

ConsTime-off, pay is low for the hard work and effort employees put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore holiday pay, more pay

Hell on Earth but worse!

Lichfield, England (UK)

ProsThere are no good reasons to work here, unless you are a complete and utter masochist with double the tolerance levels of a saint! Personal growth? More like destruction of your very soul. Training? Not sure that word exists in their vocabulary and as for promotion? well, only if you are able to travel to (usually) far away places on a daily basis

ConsEvery single task is a challenge. There is no communication between management and staff (except for idle gossip of course) Most of the equipment is either broken or not working properly. Time management and staff cover are poor at the very best and every member of staff in my particular store feels undervalued, stressed and fed up. I am personally suffering with some health issues at the moment and have been warned that I will face disciplinary procedures soon, even though I am currently under specialist care and in touch with an occupational health nurse. I am not aware of any benefits provided by WH Smith, we don't even have any air conditioning!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at how your stores are actually coping, listen to your employees, not just managers or union representatives. Make surprise visits to stores so that managers don't have time to 'prepare' ie, arrange better staff cover for that particular day and spend the couple of weeks beforehand tarting the place up to hide the problems. Stop wasting our time by constantly 'updating' policy and procedures. USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!! We are human beings, not dogs!!!

Good Experience! (at the airport)

Heathrow, England (UK)

Pros- at the airport, so a busy environment
    - always something to do, time will fly by
    - increase confidence, customer service skills, and money handling
    - always overtime available

Cons- okayish pay
    - some shifts are at stupid times/ hours!
    - may get some weird team members
    - can get a bit too much when it's busy and managers are looking for improvement!

Excellent first time job for myself

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcellent first time job for myself. Good working hours. Very friendly staff including management team. Learned a lot about retail when I was employed there and was able to take the experience elsewhere. Great!

ConsWhen I worked there I would find staying late to re-arrange the shop floor or other tasks out of hours were difficult as buses were few and I couldn't drive.

Interesting in many ways.

Bristol, England (UK)

ProsEveryone is very friendly, and its relatively easy to work your way up within the company. As well as managers being very helpful and supportive when it comes to studying. And there are flexible hours around all times of the year.

ConsGetting time off is kind of difficult especially around the busy periods e.g. christmas, summer holidays. Pay is not fantastic and there arent many privileges to being a member of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHead-office to not over ride decisions made towards refunds/exchanges decided in store. When a customer complains to head office they werent granted a refund after the 28 day period, head office usually grant it anyway.

Worked for Whsmith? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whsmith reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Whsmith CEO Kate Swann. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by Whsmith employees.