Wickes

www.wickes.co.uk

Wickes Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Wickes – UK – “A Wickes Store”

Simon King

Brilliant training, great people, tiring and sometimes frustrating job!

Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Guildford, England (UK)

ProsAs my first job the training I received to work as a customer assistant was top notch. Although there was a lot of structure and hierarchy, if you could prove yourself as able and trustworthy you would be given a lot more responsibility. I made great friends with most of my colleagues and the atmosphere was mostly pretty chilled, though always professional and courteous around the customers.

ConsLong hours standing up behind the tills was pretty tiring, and some of the customers could be pretty tough to deal with as a 17 year old girl with little previous experience in DIY. Management would tend to be difficult to get hold of and often I might be left as the only staff member on the entire shop floor if there was a team meeting. This was a particular problem when a customer reported a burglary and I wasn't able to contact another staff member for at least 5 minutes, allowing the thief to get away.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall management did a pretty good job and seemed motivated; but perhaps ensuring that at least one junior manager was available at all times to staff on the shop floor could save a great deal of time and bother for the customers and till staff.

WICKES!!

Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) Gravesend, England (UK)

ProsMade some good friends during my 3 years working here as all the staff are very polite and helpful. WICKES are fair with lunch breaks etc. Also got a 10% discount employee card for everything in the store. Overall i really enjoyed my time as a WICKES employee

Conssometimes the managers expect too much of you if they are short staffed or have a big delivery coming in. The wage rate per hour is considerably low unless you work there for 5 years+

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a temporary female manager that had it in for me and looked down on me. She would always look for an excuse to have a go at me i'd like to see managers trained more efficiently

Brilliant

Cashier (Current Employee) Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

ProsWork with an .amazing team always willing to help each other and always listen to what you have to say. We get really perks working here too pension scheme is great and we also have a share save scheme which is really useful for savings. Wickes offer flexible working hours which is perfect if you have young children or other commitments.

ConsAs with every job you get your stressful days, In Wickes it's usually just because of the workload and not enough staff to get it done. Other than that it's just awkward customers that make the day harder but it's all part of the job. You get it anywhere you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtra product training would be good to see especially for the newer colleagues. There is nothing worse than starting a job where the advice you have to give is essential for people to get their projects right and not knowing what your on about.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Standard retail job, beware poor management

Customer Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsSmall teams have their benefits, actual colleagues will be very helpful and customers are very much 'what you see is what you get' DIYers and tradesmen.

ConsManagement culture in the East Anglian branches is sometimes verging on unacceptable; this may or may not be widespread but is noticable locally. There is a constant case of over management (my team of 12 colleagues has a store manager, a deputy manager, and two supervisor/duty managers), with too much emphasis placed on hierarchy. Those 'at the top' of a store have often worked their way from standard colleagues - however, the hierachy levels in place mean these people quickly forget their roots on the minimum wage and either become massively (and visibly, of course) gung-ho about teamwork whilst not being part of the 'team', or retreat to management offices to delegate manager-level complaint resolution to those on a customer service desk. It creates an 'us vs them' situation between colleagues and management.

Wickes, under the Travis Perkins umbrella, do not recognise a union. (I am joining USDAW to feel less alone.) The only Employee Assistance offered outside of HR is a PPC Employee Assistance Program - a program most of my colleagues distrust for fear of being revealed to management.

Staff turnover at our branch is extremely high, due in no small part to poor management, minimum wage pay and a lack of consistency in contracted hours.

The company pay minimum wage to all colleagues unless they are 'upgraded' to forklift truck drivers or 'senior cashiers' where the increase is around 25p an hour. Personal development is available for those who wish to progress towards management, however the kind of attitude I have been shown by managers thus far at Wickes means you will probably have to sacrifice a few friends and morals along the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager-in-training Senior Cashier was recently told outright to 'start thinking like a manager, not a colleague'. This strict adherence to heirarchy is harmful and, in creating a divide, creates resentment towards manager-level colleagues.

Please look into paying the living wage, and providing written statements of contracts to all employees whenever a contract is changed.

A very repsectful and humble business going through a turbulent period of change

ProsCulture - respect for people has long been at the heart of the business, it is non hierachical and lacking in the ego that often can be found in businesses and senior teams. It has a very collaborative approach to business development
    Values / behaviours - winning behaviours are at the heart of the new management team's approach. They include - humility, authenticity, being your best, can do and will to win

ConsThe business is going through a painful change curve right now and it is by no means an easy ride, nor is success guaranteed. The right people are all trying to do the right things to move the business on another step and achieve greater growth - progress is slower than desired though and this is inevitably leading to increasing pressure on the teams. It is a strong and credible business and will get there eventually though the transition may take some time. Join if you are up for leading through change, it will be an exciting journey for some years to come

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the team works through the inevitable disruption that so much change brings more attention should be paid to explicitely managing that change. Barriers to quicker progress include the quality of the team and there is some way to go before the business has the team it needs and deserves to drive through change. A few more experienced heads from the sector would be helpful in helping get traction with the plan

Opportunity to learn a lot, but not the most rewarding

Cashier (Former Employee) Bournemouth, England (UK)

ProsThe workplace is surrounded by interesting products and there is plenty to learn, 20% discount, there is some freedom to put a stamp on your work area and ideas are welcomed via bright sparks. Plenty of training available.

Consmanagement don't appreciate the additional work put in. Some staff can be less helpful to younger members of staff and there was a sense of favoritism especially with the staff that were smokers who seemed to get additional breaks for no reason. Bonuses whilst in existence weren't personal and felt uncontrollable by individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management in store need to treat individuals fairly and recognise those who wish to proceed much quicker and use their passion to improve themselves to the benefit of the company. Questionnaires similar to this one would allow members of staff to voice their opinions and realise where that member of staff wants to be - improving, moving on or just doing the same thing.

busy great store to work

Cashier (Current Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

Prosgreat to fit around my kids great bunch of staff

Conssometimes so busy and not enough staff on

Wickes Wakefield Depot - THE WORST PLACE TO WORK EVER SEEN !!!

Picker (Former Employee) Castleford, England (UK)

ProsNever and ever go or apply for a job in that place. Management, health & safety, local people what working there are terrible. The highest % of accidents, they don't have any respect to workers and management employing only relationship people.

ConsWork very hard and unsafe, arrogant management, very pool training, terrible equipment to work on.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop to employ you friends and family. Also using proper English language will be nice on place. You don't have to swear to tell that you may be unhappy. Shaving and clean uniforms will also help !!!!!

customer service assistant

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee)

Prosgood staff cohesion within branches. fair pay and good benefits from the company. a lot of fundraising for charity.

Consthe staff that are employed there arent always the best people suited for the job. sometimes people are just employed to fill a space because it is needed rather than they are the right person to work for the company. soem people that work there are just idiots and dont have a a clue what they are doing and would never develop and progress through the company. donta lways put 100% into what they do.

Active Job that keeps you busy

Customer Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsAlways on your feet doing something at some point in the day. You get decent and fair breaks depending on the hours worked during a shift. You get a good paid holiday allowance with a fair application process, along with various competitions and schemes to get involved with.

ConsConstant movement. Whether you're on tills or shop floor you will be occupied with some form of job or activity that needs to be done, not for the lazy! You can get up to 9/10 hours shifts with this working lifestyle in force. The store is open bank holidays, and Sundays. When you first join you have to do a lot of tests and fill in booklets.

Advice to Senior ManagementStern but fair. Will be fine to talk to and even joke around with if you do your job correctly, if you slack or don't show enough care in the job you will be dealt with as appropriate. Always there if you need to talk to them about serious issues.

Worked for Wickes? Contribute to the Community!