WideOrbit

Eric R. Mathewson

rev

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent, open-minded, flexible company with a solid product line that allows many of its employees to work remotely. Company has a culture that emphasizes client satisfaction. There is very low attrition at the company so most employees are satisfied.

ConsCompany is growing rapidly which has caused some degree of growing pains. Company has a 401k plan but does not match.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has done an excellent job keeping focused on the core business model.

WideOrbit Hires Smart, Adaptable People Whose First Priority is to Maximize the Customers' Experience

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable, expertly managed organization

Commitment to reinvestment in products and staff

Open communication; always honest with customers, trade press, and staff

Willingness to acknowledge mistakes and treat them as learning opportunities

Lives its values

Thorough recruitment process ensures good match between candidate and culture

Recognized as the "gold standard" among its clients, potential customers, and industry insiders

Trusts employees to work independently; celebrates individual contributions to team successes; consistently supportive during difficult circumstances

There is a true team atmosphere; collaboration trumps hierarchy; everyone pulls in the same direction.

A client's crisis is elevated immediately to C-level management, regardless of the customer's size or the monetary value of its project.

Remains faithful to its hiring decisions; gives new employees the time and resources they need to find their footing and make their contribution

All full-time employees are offered a sabbatical at regular intervals.

Experiencing phenomenal growth and achievement

A sincere camaraderie centered around a commonly held belief that the company is far from peaking

ConsNo employer match for 401(k)

There is no "on boarding" program; procedures, policies, and precedents are shared word-of-mouth as needed.

The downside of the company's rapid acceleration is that it's easy to be overwhelmed by the new information that accompanies that pace of change.

With several offices and a tremendous number of telecommuters, communication and coordination can be challenging.

There is, perhaps, too much use of e-mail as a primary means of sharing information.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement would benefit from making more of a point of soliciting feedback from its employees. I would recommend regular roundtable-type discussions and that department leaders schedule one-on-one time with every member of the organization at least once each year to remain in touch with individual goals, identify challenges, and learn from different perspectives.

Loved working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at WideOrbit as a contractor for less than a year

ProsStill has a start up feel with that mid-size co stability.
Everyone is super nice and very friendly.
The executive team is very responsive to ideas and moves quickly once a decision has ben made.
If you like working with smart self motivated people then this is the place for you.

ConsYour career movement is all up to you. No annual reviews. If you need more hand holding then this is not the right company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know what they are doing...keep it up.

Plodding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WideOrbit full-time for less than a year

ProsIf your definition of a good job is free food, mediocre products and staying in the same role for multiple years at reasonable salaries and good benefits, this is a fine place to work.

ConsIf you want innovation, career growth, informed and capable management, sophisticated products and people who lead, rather than follow, then this is not the place for you. WO managers like people who take customer service seriously, which is great. But management does not invest in their people, processes or culture. Departments don't communicate, top-down communication is sporadic.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit employee input. There are many capable people that could make broader contributions but they are stifled by senior management. Employees genuinely like WO, but the culture does not support individual or professional growth.

Solid, high-growth, pre-IPO company with nice people, great work environment

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time

ProsWideOrbit is a solid company that continues to enjoy rapid growth and a leadership position in the marketplace. It has a solid, approachable management team that is well respect amongst the employees and within the industry. Given the size, everyone still has visibility and opportunity to make an impact, and the company has a good vision of where it intends to be in the near and distant future.

On a human level, people are genuinely nice. Everyone seems to care about creating a positive work environment and there's a real sense of collaboration. I haven't seen one pissing match yet, and I've certainly seen my share of them in other software companies over the years.

ConsThere's currently no formal structure for reviews, raises and bonuses, so it's up to you and your manager to work it out. This could be good or bad, depending on what you're used to. Of course, as the company grows, this will probably change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo upper management, I'll say stay the course!

WideOrbit was a great place to work

Integrations Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at WideOrbit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWideOrbit is a great place to work. Comfortable offices, lots of free food, challenging environment in a company growing quickly but with nice people rather than the pompous jerks that permeate so many fast growing companies.
WideOrbit has the stability of a large company (something like $180MM in backlog) and 300+ employees, but the feel of a small company/start-up.

ConsSometimes the company has been too loyal to long term employees that aren't pulling their weight.
Lots of different offices and people working in remote areas for a smallish company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI saw some efforts towards additional training before I left (and hiring of 2 FT Training managers), but in general more ongoing training is needed.

Great company! Stable and growing, solid combo!

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than a year

ProsWideOrbit has a supportive management staff, they provide a flexible work environment with great work/life balance. WideOrbiters are creative and fun people to work with. Also, you are given the resources to do your job - technically and in other ways. It's great experience to be with a company as it grows quickly and see that first hand.

ConsCompany is spread out, so it'd be nice to get together more often. Broadcasting is a huge learning curve if you aren't from the broadcasting industry, but people are really helpful.

Worth a look

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is generally a good company with smart people. The code base is generally solid and the senior VP of engineering is a developer himself.

ConsIt tends to be somewhat marketer driven rather than engineering driven, and the technical debt piles up at times, but time is allocated to fixing things in the long run.

Successful, Adolescent Company starting to grow up

Management (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for less than a year

Pros- Really good, smart, experienced people
- Nice benefits, good location in Levi Plaza, nice amenities in office (snacks, drinks, very healthy alternatives always available)
- Good niche products, wide client base, investing in their people and products
- Desire and passion to do better - especially the senior staff

Cons- "teenage" company that is somewhat awkward about growing from a very small company to a bigger one. Usual angst about the need for policies, processes and standards when a company grows up and still wants to keep the culture
- for such a small company there are unique silos of information that need to be overcome. Ego is going to be a barrier to changing this. People's resilience is going to be tested as the company grows and bigger changes come as a result.

Growing company run by sharp people that have has realistic and achievable goals

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WideOrbit

Pros- Managers trust employees to do their job.
- Financially stable, strong business plan, and vision.
- Opportunity to take control/ownership of your career vs. dealing with politics to get ahead.
- Ability to telecommute (at least for my position but a lot of positions allow flexibility and telecommuting for at least part of the week).
- Understanding of work life balance and very family friendly... in fact, I've seen people bring their kids to work sometimes for the day.

Cons- There isn't a huge emphasis on company get togethers to build camraderie although there is definitely a strong sense of team pride.

Worked for WideOrbit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WideOrbit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WideOrbit CEO Eric R. Mathewson. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by WideOrbit employees.