Widener

www.widener.edu

Widener Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Widener – New York – “office space”

James T. Harris III

Some absolutely fantastic people and a great mission.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPresident Harris sets a great tone. There are some great folks there.

ConsThe alumni can be difficult. Widener had previously been Pennsylvanla Military College, and the PMC alumni are not all too keen on what has become of their school.

Think twice

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe culture of Widener is great. The President understands that the university is fighting an uphill battle because of location but refuses to give up the fight. It is an admirable approach.

ConsAs an employee there are many problems at the university. The first is basic HR functions. You will never receive an employee handbook, you will track your yearly attendance on a paper card similar to grade school attendance roll, and you will never get a straight answer about regular benefits questions from anyone in the department.

The administration does not believe in closing for inclement weather. As a parent, if you child school is closed or delayed for weather you are required to use your vacation time.

The university is very decentralized for it to be small university. There is not much crossing sharing of departments unless you are part of senior leadership. Departments work in silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally think about your employees and question if you are providing them the best opportunities for growth and development as one of the leading employment within the city of Chester.

Not what is claimed

Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Chester, PA

ProsGreat students. Faculty are mostly friendly with very notable exceptions. Upper admin is sometimes helpful.

ConsClaim to be student-focused. In truth the upper administration could care less about the students.
    Claim to be undergrduate-focused. In truth upper admin pushes research, research, and research.
    Claim to have low student/faculty ratio. In truth the faculty size is artificially inflated because they have few full-time proffs but literally hundreds of adjuncts (one department alone has over 40 adjunct professors).

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constantly Expanding

Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsUniversity has continued to grow to try to stay competitive with area schools.

ConsUnfortunately, despite how it may be spun, the surrounding area is really not safe.

I really liked it and the environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work environment and fun

ConsDont really have any really

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Advancement opportunities are limited, only available to faculty

Administration (Current Employee) Chester, PA

ProsGood benefits, usually get christmas week off

Conslack of advancement opportunities, lack of continuing education

Advice to Senior ManagementMake advancement and continuing education a priority.

Lots of opportunity for innovation and making a difference.

ProsMany dedicated employees who want to impact students positively. Fabulous president with a great vision and strong ethics. Great employer. Wonderful benefits. Students are great.

ConsCommunication needs a lot of work. Because there is no central directory of employers and the website needs work, finding people to collaborate with is exasperating. The university truly wants to move forward and innovate; however, people are held back by "the Widener Way"--bureaucratic obstacles that slow down change.

it's a job not a career

Campus Safety Officer (Current Employee) Chester, PA

Proseasy job, uniforms provided, possibility to earn a degree

Consboring and repetitive, no raises this year. favortism

Advice to Senior Managementthey should start random drug testing of everyone, require a writing test and physical before hiring, promotions should be merit based

A very solid place to work

Professor (Former Employee) Chester, PA

ProsAcademia is generally a great job, no matter where you're doing it, but the university has an above average collegial feel.

Consthe multi-campus nature of the univ.

Good Campus Job

Tutor (Current Employee) Chester, PA

ProsFlex hours and good pay

Consboring paper work and bi-weekly pay

Worked for Widener? Contribute to the Community!