Wikistrat Reviews

1 Rating

1. Professionally Rewarding

Current Freelancer - Contributing Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Freelancer - Contributing Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wikistrat (More than a year)

Pros

I am a Contributing Analyst with Wikistrat. As a young professional, I joined Wikistrat as a way to challenge myself, develop professionally, and get an insider's view of how to approach complex issues. You will find yourself in the middle global conversations on current events at a level you normally wouldn't have access to. It is a unique and diverse population of analysts that have correspondingly diverse, insightful, and creative takes on world affairs. One of the most important benefits for me has been learning how to give and receive feedback, feedback from very experienced and qualified people. As a young professional, that is huge. It can be humbling, but I view it as a significant benefit to being a Wikistrat analyst. Being part of Wikistrat is also a great way to distinguish yourself. Work that I have contributed has been picked up by bloggers and news outlets, which in itself is exciting.

Cons

The drawbacks of participation in Wikistrat simulations, in my view, are primarily associated with the expectations you may have going into it. There are monetary awards and incentives that you may receive from time to time, but it is best to think of those as nice perks and not a primary motivation. My experience has been that I have participated in Wikistrat simulations for almost 3 years, submitting work when I have time–a leisurely level of effort. Even then, I've received financial remuneration twice, in addition to receiving media mentions from outlets who monitor Wikistrat simulations.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the continued effort in developing the platform and creating simulations that improve the quality of input. There has been a lot of progress in improving incentives, which goes a long way in preventing analyst fatigue. It would be interesting to see what feedback the Wikistrat community might have in terms of building the simulation models themselves–that is to say the analytical framework that shapes the analysis.

2. What a mess

Former Intern - Intern Researcher in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern Researcher in Washington, DC

I worked at Wikistrat as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

An easy way for people to interact through a web platform

Cons

No one has any idea what the point of most of the reports were, nor who the clients for these reports actually are. Very few supposedly "area specialists" actually know anything about the area that you see them write about, and many of the analysts have no foreign language knowledge beyond English. The best way to describe Wikistrat is a giant pyramid scheme.

3. Research Analyst

Former Employee - Contributing Researcher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contributing Researcher in Washington, DC

I worked at Wikistrat (More than a year)

Pros

Free work, easy writing, academic in nature.

Cons

no structure, easy to sign up, No pay

Advice to Management

None.

RSS Feed </> Embed