WildTangent

WildTangent Reviews

Updated August 31, 2014
Updated August 31, 2014

Mike Peronto

Great work/life balance, not so good career growth or incentives programs

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at WildTangent full-time for more than a year

Pros

As long as you get your job done the work hours are flexible.
    Others have suggested that there isn't any employee recognition, but I have found that if you do your job well the recognition will come in the form of a merit increase.
    As a software engineer I often have the time to investigate new tools and technologies.

Cons

The engineering team wants to be agile but either the product management or senior leadership teams aren't interested or aren't willing to transition, so we sprint but we're really not being agile.
    Career growth is lacking. I get that it is up to the individual to drive their career but when your manager is supposed to work on development goals with you and never does: that is on them.
    The company lacks any sort of incentive mechanism to recognize hard workers. We have stock options but there do not appear to be any plans to go public, there are no bonuses, and the company doesn't match any 401K contributions.
    Finally, the company is old enough and has enough smart people that we can make educated and informed decisions regarding corporate direction, unfortunately I appears that we are still at times making decisions based on hunches and intuition.

If you want to be agile the whole company needs to buy in to it, and you should bring in external training/coaching to help everyone be effective and efficient at it.
    Recognize hard workers and major contributors. It isn't always about money: sometimes a public pat on the back is enough.
    Let the middle management help drive direction: their insight into the market and industry is extremely valuable and should be respected.

Disorganized Gaming Company

I worked at WildTangent full-time

Pros

Work-life balance was great and there were many perks to working at WT. The gaming industry is interesting and a growing sector.

Cons

They did not have a clear vision and would constantly change their expectations. My manager was also not very helpful in making introductions.

Lacks directional focus and good Senior leadership

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at WildTangent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance -- not too stressful.

Cons

All decisions seem to be made from senior management without the input of the people in the field who actually understand the industry. No focus AT ALL on employee development or any interest at all in the career growth of people. This company is not focused on it's people - it's focused on making money quickly. Similarly, the user experience on the customer side always suffers. I see the two problems as one in the same: a company that lacks focus on it's employees also lacks focus on it's customer product -- and without these two in alignment, it is nearly impossible to succeed as a whole.

Solicit feedback from the people in the field. Empower your mid-level managers. Drive employee recognition and career development more. Focus on developing a product customers want to use and everything else will fall into place -- the money will come then.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unorganized

I have been working at WildTangent full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to work on the sales team at WildTangent you will have to be able to work very independently. If that is what you are looking for this is great place for you. The work/life balance is great and the hours are not demanding. Salary and benefits are also great. Upper management is flexible with time off as well.

Cons

There is little room for personal/career growth at this company. Very unorganized and the overall work ethic switches from intense to lazy. Little to no training involved, immediately thrown in to the fire without much support.

The Human Resource department is extremely unorganized. The hiring process takes months and if you are not working in the Seattle office communication internally is difficult and strained.

Office energy has left the building

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at WildTangent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Middle tier down, employees are intelligent and hard working. Lots of cross team collaboration on projects, fast-pace, get-it-done mentality.

Cons

Senior level and Executive team members have little to no relevant industry experience. Executive team has had heavy turnover for the last three years in media sales and associated operations team. Health benefits have been cut which previously compensated for low industry salary. Open fighting among the senior leadership is petty and counterproductive.

The inability to question decisions alienates employee trust, which is exacerbated when internal communication is conflicting.

Improve clarity of messaging from senior management, if confrontation is inevitable make sure it's clear what the issue is and that emotion is not the focus of the argument.

There are better places to be...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at WildTangent full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, ample parking in the parking lot. Other than that, I can't find 20 positive words to meet the minimum word requirement for this section.

Cons

1. Gaming company trying to do online advertising - lacks focus
    2. Upper management is to old to understand landscape of both gaming and online advertising
    3. Company describes itself as a "start-up" environment...after 10+ years.
    4. Company is not able to recruite top technical talent when competing with Microsoft, Amazon and Boeing

Anybody that has been in the same technical role for more than 4+ years at the same organization has lost the ability see the landscape outside the organization.

Love it here!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at WildTangent full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great work life balance. Middle management does a great job of staying between product development and executives. No micro-managing. Treated like a professional and trusted to get your work done.

Cons

Projects tend to have so many dependencies that they take a long time to get out the door. Agile still feels like waterfall.

Lots of turnover

I worked at WildTangent

Pros

Good benefits & onsite gym.

Cons

Unclear directions, do not reward people who do the work.

WildTangent, a Pretty Nice Place to Work

I worked at WildTangent

Pros

Great benefits, small-company atmosphere, all levels of management are accessible when needed.

Cons

Shares a parking lot with another company that sometimes makes it hard to find a spot close by.

Drum up enthusiasm and get back some more of the startup vibe by giving everybody in the company a free copy of each pay-for title WildTangent Studios produces.

Great start-up feel company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at WildTangent full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun culture, surrounded by video games, free parking, great healthcare benefits, great people. You feel like you're in a smaller company, but have the resources of a bigger company, which is nice.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work quite a bit on the weekends and at night, and the commute can get old after a while since it's all the way out in Redmond.

Worked for WildTangent? Contribute to the Community!