Wildfire Interactive

Wildfire Interactive Founder & CEO Victoria Ransom

Victoria Ransom

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Energetic, motivating, constantly changing

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat people with a serious drive

ConsUpper management could have been more experienced. Too many structural changes constantly

Advice to Senior ManagementGet upper managers with more experience.

Great opportunity to work with an amazing group of people and start a career!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsComplete transparency from top down, fantastic leadership from management, autonomy to have an impact across multiple departments, and great group of coworkers to work with everyday. They promoted from within, and had great training program for new hires. Everyone was friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand. Culture was like nowhere else.

ConsPay was far below industry averages especially for the Bay Area, and meals weren't paid for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, and continue to promote from within.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place, some growing pains

Client Services (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThe people here are really fun and really drive. The atmosphere is great. It's a super exciting time right now.

ConsThere are definitely some growing pains. A solid amount of management problems (in terms of who they are and how inexperienced they are).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loving My Job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsConstant opportunities to learn; within and outside of my department. Smart, fun-loving people. Victoria Ransom is an incredible CEO, with a great vision and honest leadership. Management listens. Dynamic environment

ConsOur growth explosion has certainly caused some challenges, so for those who don't operate well in ambiguity this may not be the place for you. Large, but still has some of the issues of a smaller start up in terms of organization, communication, and hiring qualified management.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be uncompromising in the talent we hire. Especially when it comes to individuals who have exhibited both high mental aptitude and a track record of hard work.

A Unique and Wonderful Place (very thankful to have this opportunity!)

Redwood City, CA

Pros* lovely, motivated, hard-working, and kind individuals.
    * extremely collaborative environment
    * awesome example of leadership and professionalism found in our CEO
    * exciting time/place to work in the Social space
    * Gorgeous office setting
    * Snacks/Perks are decent
    * Co-workers quickly become friends

Cons* atmosphere can become too collegiate (only occasionally!)
    * I sometimes wish managers took more of a hands on approach. I appreciate being respected enough to do my own thing, but sometimes guidance is helpful.
    * sometimes we run out of Diet Coke
    * as we've grown, overall communication from the top down has become a little less transparent (understandable)
    * tedious commute from SF

Advice to Senior ManagementWork actively to improve communication with your team/those underneath you. This will be crucial as we officially transition from a "late-stage start-up" into a larger company.

Inspiring but Not Quite There

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsMany people in this company are motivated individuals. Many people are friendly and create an atmosphere where people are interested in building relationships with their coworkers to strengthening the company.

The marketing team has generated great excitement for the company. The company is making headway the market with clients and the public.

The little perks are nice; snacks, drinks.

There is definitely lateral mobility within workplace.

Many people feel as if they have a chance to really make a visible impact on the business.

The CEO, Victoria Ransom is inspiring, great energy and comfortable to work for.

ConsCommuting from San Francisco to Redwood City is time consuming and energy killing. (Other companies offer free shuttle services from multiple stop points in SF to their offices in redwood city and SV). I understand this is not management's fault that I live in SF, but your company recruited me, and I like living in SF- same with half the office.

Also related to the LONG commute: Work from home days are very limited. I usually feel a negative push back from management when I ask to work from home. Previous CV companies I have worked for allowed me to work from home one day a week. Helps a lot.

Super long hours, even by industry standards. (with low pay, doesn't help) Compared to similar companies in this field, the benefits and pay are not up to par. (salary, medical, 401k, etc.).

Need more mentors, leaders for the entry level employees (ex. sales teams need more mentors/managers).

Many employees work after office hours (especially in Sales/Client Services) but management doesn't seem to care if you're not in office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about offering a shuttle from the city of SF to the office. It may save the company money in cal train tickets for their employees. Ans it will save the employees money on an hours drive of gas. You may have more energized and happier employees at the end of the day.

Recognize the hard work and efforts that your employees putting into the company and share their accomplishments with other teams.

Salaries and benefits need major upgrades.

When bringing on new sales managers, maybe train them a little longer (In the end they train us).

True Startup Life

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Pros- Strong leadership from our CEO, Victoria Ransom. She is a visionary and someone who inspires all of us. Victoria is always eager to listen to her colleagues and take action where appropriate.
    - Very smart and passionate people.
    - Biggest and best social media software company in the space.
    - Transparent management team.
    - Lot of opportunity for professional development and even personal growth. This has been an accelerated MBA program for myself that will ultimately help me in my future entrepreneurial ventures.
    - Autonomous environment.

... and it's fun!

Cons- Benefits could be better but there is now a focus on improvement in that area.
    - There are some growing pains, but that comes with the territory when you grow from 40 employees to 300+ in the 2 or so years I've been here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening :)

Great company but a ton of room for improvement

Client Services (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Pros-Nice open work environment - very sunny.
    -Some genuinely great people work here.
    -Very cool and exciting space to be in right now.
    -Senior management like Victoria and Doug really know their stuff and are inspiring to work with.
    -I like the work I do on a daily basis helping clients.

Cons-Pressured to work long hours.
    -While Senior Management is pretty solid, the next tier down is pretty weak. The head of CS is pretty inexperienced when it comes to management and leadership and it certainly shows.
    -There are more and more closed door meetings where top execs meet and discuss changes. Feels less horizontal and transparent.
    -Our perks have gotten better during my time at Wildfire, but relative to other Silicon Valley companies, we could still be doing better. Very few vacation days, no subsidized meals, and the daily commute is a huge struggle.

Advice to Senior Management-Put more resources into management training.
    -Ask employees what they think about their managers and leaders.
    -Even if we can't pay for some meals, we should diversity snacks - more healthy snack options would be great.
    -Re-do the vacation day policy.
    -Consider some sort of shuttle from the city.

Great company, some growing pains, awesome perks and culture

Redwood City, CA

Pros- culture
    - lateral mobility within workplace
    - the office is awesome
    - cal train passes, gym membership, snacks
    - good people, smart coworkers, plenty of opportunities to learn how a company is actually grown and how customer relationships are managed
    - the CEO practices what she preaches, as does all upper management for the most part

Cons- if you're going to get us snacks... get us healthy ones
    - sales is known to be a bit cliqueish, but nothing you can't look around

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing. Remain candid, transparent, trusting and inspiring. Don't be afraid to tell us what we are going to do. Wildfire is a very collaborative place where people don't step on one another's toes, but at this junction I think we need clear, unambiguous marching orders sometimes.

The culture is gone

(Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsI really do to my core love this company... i think we have a lot of potential. That being said I feel like the only way management listens is through an embarrassing public forum like this.

There are amazing people that work here and we need to get back to our roots to keep them.

Despite the recent setbacks, I do think that this is a great place to work. We just need to work out these kinks and bring Wildfire back to what it once was.

Cons-Taking all of our best sales people out of sales and putting them in manager positions (just because you are a good sales person does not mean you are a good manager)
    -Fear of giving negative feedback due to recent fires when doing so.
    -Old boys club--- the people that were here in the very beginning (with about 15 employees) run the show, despite a lot of them being disliked by a majority of the 300 plus new employees. I have even been told that if I want to make it in this company that I need to "start being friends with the older employees and stop bonding so much with the new ones"
    -we were told at a meeting that if you are the kind of person who takes an hour lunch break and thinks of this just as a job than this is not the place for you..... Reality Check-- management is invested and thinks of this more than a job because you get paid as such, respected as such, your opinions matter and you have a ridiculous amount of stock. All the rest of us work more hours than most companies, get paid less and have no upward mobility unless we were one of the first employees... so why would we think of this as more than a job when we don't get the respect that other people do?
    - All of the teams get in at around 8am.... except for product... which is the biggest reason for customer dissatisfaction. It is not OK that everyone else is working really hard and the engineers stroll in at 11am.
    -The commute is unbearable. I know this is not a fault of management but other companies have taken this into consideration and given alternatives. It is an hour commute in the morning, sometimes a 2 hour commute home and we pay about 100 dollars a week on gas (when our salaries make it barely affordable as is to pay our rent). When we caltrain it is a longer process (we must bus from our homes to a caltrain station, take the train, then wait for a shuttle to get to work).

Advice to Senior Management-hire outside of the company for managers so you don't have favoritism and biased reviews and hires.
    Stop cutting pay--- despite what you think it is bringing morale down and making people less concerned with working as hard as they did before.
    -If you do hire a manager in the company consult their team before choosing. Sometimes a director or lead is completely unaware of the sentiment that an entire team feels towards a person. You may think an employee is great... but the people they manage may have a completely different perspective. Please take our opinions into consideration.
    -Please think of a direct shuttle/bus option from the city to Redwood City

Worked for Wildfire Interactive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wildfire Interactive reviews and ratings in Redwood City, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wildfire Interactive CEO Victoria Ransom. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Wildfire Interactive employees.