Wildfire Interactive

Wildfire Interactive Reviews

Updated Feb 4, 2014

Wildfire Interactive Founder & CEO Victoria Ransom

Victoria Ransom

Pros
  • I am allowed to work for myself as much as I want but it always feels like I am a part of something bigger(in 3 reviews)

• Great people with a serious drive(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pressure to "work"--aka be in the office--for long hours(in 9 reviews)

• I think that WF is just experiencing some growing pains(in 8 reviews)

Energetic, motivating, constantly changing

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat people with a serious drive

ConsUpper management could have been more experienced. Too many structural changes constantly

Advice to Senior ManagementGet upper managers with more experience.

Great opportunity to work with an amazing group of people and start a career!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsComplete transparency from top down, fantastic leadership from management, autonomy to have an impact across multiple departments, and great group of coworkers to work with everyday. They promoted from within, and had great training program for new hires. Everyone was friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand. Culture was like nowhere else.

ConsPay was far below industry averages especially for the Bay Area, and meals weren't paid for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, and continue to promote from within.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place, some growing pains

Client Services (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe people here are really fun and really drive. The atmosphere is great. It's a super exciting time right now.

ConsThere are definitely some growing pains. A solid amount of management problems (in terms of who they are and how inexperienced they are).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loving My Job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsConstant opportunities to learn; within and outside of my department. Smart, fun-loving people. Victoria Ransom is an incredible CEO, with a great vision and honest leadership. Management listens. Dynamic environment

ConsOur growth explosion has certainly caused some challenges, so for those who don't operate well in ambiguity this may not be the place for you. Large, but still has some of the issues of a smaller start up in terms of organization, communication, and hiring qualified management.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be uncompromising in the talent we hire. Especially when it comes to individuals who have exhibited both high mental aptitude and a track record of hard work.

A Unique and Wonderful Place (very thankful to have this opportunity!)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros* lovely, motivated, hard-working, and kind individuals.
    * extremely collaborative environment
    * awesome example of leadership and professionalism found in our CEO
    * exciting time/place to work in the Social space
    * Gorgeous office setting
    * Snacks/Perks are decent
    * Co-workers quickly become friends

Cons* atmosphere can become too collegiate (only occasionally!)
    * I sometimes wish managers took more of a hands on approach. I appreciate being respected enough to do my own thing, but sometimes guidance is helpful.
    * sometimes we run out of Diet Coke
    * as we've grown, overall communication from the top down has become a little less transparent (understandable)
    * tedious commute from SF

Advice to Senior ManagementWork actively to improve communication with your team/those underneath you. This will be crucial as we officially transition from a "late-stage start-up" into a larger company.

Inspiring but Not Quite There

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsMany people in this company are motivated individuals. Many people are friendly and create an atmosphere where people are interested in building relationships with their coworkers to strengthening the company.

The marketing team has generated great excitement for the company. The company is making headway the market with clients and the public.

The little perks are nice; snacks, drinks.

There is definitely lateral mobility within workplace.

Many people feel as if they have a chance to really make a visible impact on the business.

The CEO, Victoria Ransom is inspiring, great energy and comfortable to work for.

ConsCommuting from San Francisco to Redwood City is time consuming and energy killing. (Other companies offer free shuttle services from multiple stop points in SF to their offices in redwood city and SV). I understand this is not management's fault that I live in SF, but your company recruited me, and I like living in SF- same with half the office.

Also related to the LONG commute: Work from home days are very limited. I usually feel a negative push back from management when I ask to work from home. Previous CV companies I have worked for allowed me to work from home one day a week. Helps a lot.

Super long hours, even by industry standards. (with low pay, doesn't help) Compared to similar companies in this field, the benefits and pay are not up to par. (salary, medical, 401k, etc.).

Need more mentors, leaders for the entry level employees (ex. sales teams need more mentors/managers).

Many employees work after office hours (especially in Sales/Client Services) but management doesn't seem to care if you're not in office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about offering a shuttle from the city of SF to the office. It may save the company money in cal train tickets for their employees. Ans it will save the employees money on an hours drive of gas. You may have more energized and happier employees at the end of the day.

Recognize the hard work and efforts that your employees putting into the company and share their accomplishments with other teams.

Salaries and benefits need major upgrades.

When bringing on new sales managers, maybe train them a little longer (In the end they train us).

A great company ruined by a few very bad hires and a lack of structure and processes

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGood office location
    Exciting products
    Talented people

ConsAlmost complete lack of structure, which is fine until it's not. As long as there aren't any problems, things will go well, but as soon as somebody gets upset for any reason, there are no processes in place to help employees. HR is non-existent. Until recently (and even now), benefits are hugely sub-par. Some key position have now been very poorly staffed, and once that door is opened, those bad hires will bring in more bad hires. HR and Engineering are the main examples of highly inexperienced leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the mid level leadership needs to be replaced with people that have experience. This isn't a small startup anymore where it's ok to have someone with no experience manage 15+ employees.

True Startup Life

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros- Strong leadership from our CEO, Victoria Ransom. She is a visionary and someone who inspires all of us. Victoria is always eager to listen to her colleagues and take action where appropriate.
    - Very smart and passionate people.
    - Biggest and best social media software company in the space.
    - Transparent management team.
    - Lot of opportunity for professional development and even personal growth. This has been an accelerated MBA program for myself that will ultimately help me in my future entrepreneurial ventures.
    - Autonomous environment.

... and it's fun!

Cons- Benefits could be better but there is now a focus on improvement in that area.
    - There are some growing pains, but that comes with the territory when you grow from 40 employees to 300+ in the 2 or so years I've been here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening :)

Great company but a ton of room for improvement

Client Services (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros-Nice open work environment - very sunny.
    -Some genuinely great people work here.
    -Very cool and exciting space to be in right now.
    -Senior management like Victoria and Doug really know their stuff and are inspiring to work with.
    -I like the work I do on a daily basis helping clients.

Cons-Pressured to work long hours.
    -While Senior Management is pretty solid, the next tier down is pretty weak. The head of CS is pretty inexperienced when it comes to management and leadership and it certainly shows.
    -There are more and more closed door meetings where top execs meet and discuss changes. Feels less horizontal and transparent.
    -Our perks have gotten better during my time at Wildfire, but relative to other Silicon Valley companies, we could still be doing better. Very few vacation days, no subsidized meals, and the daily commute is a huge struggle.

Advice to Senior Management-Put more resources into management training.
    -Ask employees what they think about their managers and leaders.
    -Even if we can't pay for some meals, we should diversity snacks - more healthy snack options would be great.
    -Re-do the vacation day policy.
    -Consider some sort of shuttle from the city.

Great company, some growing pains, awesome perks and culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros- culture
    - lateral mobility within workplace
    - the office is awesome
    - cal train passes, gym membership, snacks
    - good people, smart coworkers, plenty of opportunities to learn how a company is actually grown and how customer relationships are managed
    - the CEO practices what she preaches, as does all upper management for the most part

Cons- if you're going to get us snacks... get us healthy ones
    - sales is known to be a bit cliqueish, but nothing you can't look around

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing. Remain candid, transparent, trusting and inspiring. Don't be afraid to tell us what we are going to do. Wildfire is a very collaborative place where people don't step on one another's toes, but at this junction I think we need clear, unambiguous marching orders sometimes.

Worked for Wildfire Interactive? Contribute to the Community!