Wildfire Interactive

Updated December 4, 2014
4.3

Wildfire Interactive Founder & CEO Victoria Ransom
Victoria Ransom

Pros
  • I am allowed to work for myself as much as I want but it always feels like I am a part of something bigger (in 3 reviews)

• Great people with a serious drive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pressure to "work"--aka be in the office--for long hours (in 9 reviews)

• I think that WF is just experiencing some growing pains (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic work experience

Former Employee - Account Executive Wildfire Interactive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive Wildfire Interactive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wildfire Interactive

Pros

Awesome company, great people, brilliant vision

Cons

Terribly rude cleaning lady on the 7th floor I ran into after hours one night

Have a stern talk with that cleaning lady

Energetic, motivating, constantly changing

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wildfire Interactive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people with a serious drive

Cons

Upper management could have been more experienced. Too many structural changes constantly

Get upper managers with more experience.

Great opportunity to work with an amazing group of people and start a career!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Wildfire Interactive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Complete transparency from top down, fantastic leadership from management, autonomy to have an impact across multiple departments, and great group of coworkers to work with everyday. They promoted from within, and had great training program for new hires. Everyone was friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand. Culture was like nowhere else.

Cons

Pay was far below industry averages especially for the Bay Area, and meals weren't paid for.

Keep doing what you're doing, and continue to promote from within.

Great place, some growing pains

Current Employee - Client Services in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are really fun and really drive. The atmosphere is great. It's a super exciting time right now.

Cons

There are definitely some growing pains. A solid amount of management problems (in terms of who they are and how inexperienced they are).

Be transparent.

Loving My Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Constant opportunities to learn; within and outside of my department. Smart, fun-loving people. Victoria Ransom is an incredible CEO, with a great vision and honest leadership. Management listens. Dynamic environment

Cons

Our growth explosion has certainly caused some challenges, so for those who don't operate well in ambiguity this may not be the place for you. Large, but still has some of the issues of a smaller start up in terms of organization, communication, and hiring qualified management.

Continue to be uncompromising in the talent we hire. Especially when it comes to individuals who have exhibited both high mental aptitude and a track record of hard work.

A Unique and Wonderful Place (very thankful to have this opportunity!)

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive full-time

Pros

* lovely, motivated, hard-working, and kind individuals.
    * extremely collaborative environment
    * awesome example of leadership and professionalism found in our CEO
    * exciting time/place to work in the Social space
    * Gorgeous office setting
    * Snacks/Perks are decent
    * Co-workers quickly become friends

Cons

* atmosphere can become too collegiate (only occasionally!)
    * I sometimes wish managers took more of a hands on approach. I appreciate being respected enough to do my own thing, but sometimes guidance is helpful.
    * sometimes we run out of Diet Coke
    * as we've grown, overall communication from the top down has become a little less transparent (understandable)
    * tedious commute from SF

Work actively to improve communication with your team/those underneath you. This will be crucial as we officially transition from a "late-stage start-up" into a larger company.

Inspiring but Not Quite There

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many people in this company are motivated individuals. Many people are friendly and create an atmosphere where people are interested in building relationships with their coworkers to strengthening the company.

The marketing team has generated great excitement for the company. The company is making headway the market with clients and the public.

The little perks are nice; snacks, drinks.

There is definitely lateral mobility within workplace.

Many people feel as if they have a chance to really make a visible impact on the business.

The CEO, Victoria Ransom is inspiring, great energy and comfortable to work for.

Cons

Commuting from San Francisco to Redwood City is time consuming and energy killing. (Other companies offer free shuttle services from multiple stop points in SF to their offices in redwood city and SV). I understand this is not management's fault that I live in SF, but your company recruited me, and I like living in SF- same with half the office.

Also related to the LONG commute: Work from home days are very limited. I usually feel a negative push back from management when I ask to work from home. Previous CV companies I have worked for allowed me to work from home one day a week. Helps a lot.

Super long hours, even by industry standards. (with low pay, doesn't help) Compared to similar companies in this field, the benefits and pay are not up to par. (salary, medical, 401k, etc.).

Need more mentors, leaders for the entry level employees (ex. sales teams need more mentors/managers).

Many employees work after office hours (especially in Sales/Client Services) but management doesn't seem to care if you're not in office.

Think about offering a shuttle from the city of SF to the office. It may save the company money in cal train tickets for their employees. Ans it will save the employees money on an hours drive of gas. You may have more energized and happier employees at the end of the day.

Recognize the hard work and efforts that your employees putting into the company and share their accomplishments with other teams.

Salaries and benefits need major upgrades.

When bringing on new sales managers, maybe train them a little longer (In the end they train us).

True Startup Life

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Strong leadership from our CEO, Victoria Ransom. She is a visionary and someone who inspires all of us. Victoria is always eager to listen to her colleagues and take action where appropriate.
    - Very smart and passionate people.
    - Biggest and best social media software company in the space.
    - Transparent management team.
    - Lot of opportunity for professional development and even personal growth. This has been an accelerated MBA program for myself that will ultimately help me in my future entrepreneurial ventures.
    - Autonomous environment.

... and it's fun!

Cons

- Benefits could be better but there is now a focus on improvement in that area.
    - There are some growing pains, but that comes with the territory when you grow from 40 employees to 300+ in the 2 or so years I've been here.

Keep listening :)

A great company ruined by a few very bad hires and a lack of structure and processes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good office location
    Exciting products
    Talented people

Cons

Almost complete lack of structure, which is fine until it's not. As long as there aren't any problems, things will go well, but as soon as somebody gets upset for any reason, there are no processes in place to help employees. HR is non-existent. Until recently (and even now), benefits are hugely sub-par. Some key position have now been very poorly staffed, and once that door is opened, those bad hires will bring in more bad hires. HR and Engineering are the main examples of highly inexperienced leadership.

Most of the mid level leadership needs to be replaced with people that have experience. This isn't a small startup anymore where it's ok to have someone with no experience manage 15+ employees.

Great company, some growing pains, awesome perks and culture

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive

Pros

- culture
    - lateral mobility within workplace
    - the office is awesome
    - cal train passes, gym membership, snacks
    - good people, smart coworkers, plenty of opportunities to learn how a company is actually grown and how customer relationships are managed
    - the CEO practices what she preaches, as does all upper management for the most part

Cons

- if you're going to get us snacks... get us healthy ones
    - sales is known to be a bit cliqueish, but nothing you can't look around

Keep on doing what you're doing. Remain candid, transparent, trusting and inspiring. Don't be afraid to tell us what we are going to do. Wildfire is a very collaborative place where people don't step on one another's toes, but at this junction I think we need clear, unambiguous marching orders sometimes.

Wildfire Interactive Photos