Wildlife Conservation Society Reviews

Cristián Samper

1. Fantastic workplace for passionate people

Former Employee - Development Associate in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Development Associate in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WCS is a reputable organization when it comes to wildlife conservation, and it is well-respected in the field. The organization is full of passionate people who truly care about the mission. The headquarters are in the middle of the Bronx Zoo, which is pretty awesome.

Cons

Because of the structured hierarchy, it can be difficult and time-consuming to move up and grow. It also highly depends on the type of manager that you have.

Advice to Management

Like most reviews, I would say that it is important to create growth and professional development opportunities for the lower-end employees in order to ensure career fulfillment, retention and good morale.

2. Seasonal Retail

Former Employee - Seasonal Retail Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Retail Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working retail at the Bronx Zoo was fun and challenging for a summer job. Luckily, I had a great supervisor who taught me how to do the job duties well and great co-workers. It was very team oriented and you must hold your own weight. However, penalties for breaking rules can be very harsh and there isn't much room for error. I would advise working in retail if you can count well, have good team skills, can mentor and train others as well as manage different tasks.

Cons

- Minimum Wage - Little wiggle room in terms of choosing what days you wanted to work - Upper management use of quota can cause negative attitudes among employees (a store can be scolded if it did not sell to many items, sometimes its not the employees fault but lack of sales can be caused due to bad weather, location of the store within the park, etc.) - Some locations do not have A/C. Expect to work out in the open, possibly in the sun for part of the day.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees to see what customers like and what they do not like. Sometimes, there is an overstock of a particular item that isn't selling. Also, I would recommend a special training program regarding how to make a pitch for a sale, proper housekeeping (like checking the stockroom and taking inventory) as well as ethics.

3. WCS

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society

Pros

Lots of innovation, creative ideas and passionate people. A great place to work.

Cons

Salary is lower than other conservation organizations

ok.....BUT far from the best

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Wildlife Conservation Society part-time

Pros

-Interact with lively, fun co-workers

Cons

-30 minute lunch -Standing up from 9- 5:30 almost everyday unless you're a cashier that day - your daily job changes day to day - Management are petty - Is extremely boring -$ 8.75 an hour when it should be more since you do lots of strenuous work EVERYDAY! - Dealing with rude customers - Management always takes the customer's side.

Advice to Management

Stop creating useless positions and hiring people just for the sake of hiring people. Notice that you shouldn't have older workers standing up for hours on end. Have some stability in terms of positions instead of putting someone in the theater for almost a mouth then to something as asinine as stroller parking then to cashier like seriously. Then they get all upset when you're $10 under when you have only been on the cash register for a day....seriously, there are better jobs out there.

6. Great Organization

I have been working at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time

Pros

Deeply committed, hard-working, effective people. Strong programs.

Cons

Weak administrative support units. Some lapses in teamwork. Underfunded.

Dreams

Current Employee - Assistant Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This was my dream job. I've always wanted to be a part of a conservation organization and do my part to save wildlife.

Cons

There seems to be a real disconnect by the "upper level" and the majority of the employees. Some of the higher-management folks do fight the good fight though.

Advice to Management

work on your efficiency.

8. Great place to start your career

I have been working at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time

Pros

1) Great work/life balance 2) Training opportunities (depends on what department you are in) 3) You get to work with very motivated and intelligent managers.

Cons

1) Salary 2) Training opportunities are limited 3) Very territorial (divisions work against each other)

Advice to Management

Just like other organizations the competition between departments is obvious and is what you spend a majority of your time on. Figure this problem out and the organization will have more opportunities to flourish.

Many good aspects but some serious problems, starting at the very top.

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society

Pros

Beautiful campuses at all 5 of the zoos & the aquarium. Unusual and exciting environment in which to wotk. The mission is unparalleled. Staff on the global side & zoo side are totally devoted and all exceptionally smart. It's worth a brief employment stint here, but don't stay too long.

Cons

Silos and competition between departments has gotten worse the past few years, which I didn't think was even possible. The workload is EXTREME.

Advice to Management

Actually collaborate between departments rather than trying to undermine each other. Organize gatherings and ways for staff to engage with others outside of one's department.

10. Office Administrator

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's just that simple... If I was having a bad day, I could walk outside and look at a giraffe. It was an amazing place to work and you were always aware that your work was making a difference.

Cons

A not for profit company does not pay well.

Advice to Management

If salary is not an option, open up more "free" things to the team. More family days, parking passes, etc. It made us feel special to be able to get our families "behind the scenes."

11. Tremendous staff working towards wildplace and wildlife conservation across the world.

I have been working at Wildlife Conservation Society

Pros

Dedicated staff, amazing educational opportunities, global presence

Cons

salaries, compensation, perks, education reimbursement

RSS Feed </> Embed