Wiley

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015

Wiley President and CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for those looking for stability, minimal after-work headaches (in 50 reviews)

• It's a very comfortable place to work, relaxed environment, great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room for advancement (in 9 reviews)

• Constant shifting of priorities, no room for upward mobility, management was full of themselves (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Separation of Senior Management and Worker-Bees

Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great vacation time and personal time. Work week was 35 hours a week. Co-workers were pretty good and it was a good environment to work in.

Cons

There was really no chance for advancement, no matter how much I tried. I started in a position that never really changed much and lasted in the position for 13 years when they finally decided to close departments and outsource to India.

Listen to the people doing the work and not only those in senior management. I think your decision-making would be somewhat different if you did.

Sad to witness a great company in the throes of self destruction

Former Employee - Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a great place to work with a few exceptions; one being lower than industry average pay. In fact it was always rated among the top employers for places to work. We were almost treated like part of the family. Benefits and PTO was, and still is fantastic!

Cons

Upper management changed and in came the "consultants" and out went all of the talent in lieu of contracting all critical work overseas. Publishing as an industry is in flux and requires new ideas to stay in the game. Unfortunately management wasn't producing these ideas and the employees who had them, along with a vision for growth in a tough market, were ignored, and then eventually laid off. The current upper management is even more clueless and believes everything is solved not by their own new thinking, but by saving dollars by contracting everything to India.

It's too late to save what was. You let everyone that had experience and knowledge go already. The only wise thing to do at this point is to lay yourselves off and allow others with sound ideas and visions to take over.

In Transition

I have been working at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wiley Indianapolis has a flexible, somewhat relaxed atmosphere, but that doesn't mean inefficient. People have a good work ethic and are among the most professional in the business. Benefits are very good, with lots of time off and good insurance coverage.

Cons

Like many media companies, Wiley is going through a lot of upheaval within its ranks. Proceed with caution if you are thinking about working there.

Not much to say because I don't think the current senior management puts much weight on what employees might advise.

Wiley no longer the way

Former Employee - Global Support in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Global Support in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family friendly balance, health benefits

Cons

no room for promotions unless yuo are in the inner circle and management lack the knowledge of its workforce

Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

benefits, layed back culture, pto, work and life balance.

Cons

pay, dying industry, all the systems and technology they are using is outdated.

Good place to work

I have been working at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people trying really hard to do what is best for company

Cons

recent management and strategy changes have rocked the company and it is stil trying to find its footing

What was once "the place to be" (the company's motto) is no more.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company offers generous time off and stresses work/life balance. My fellow editors were some of the brightest people I've had the pleasure to know.

Cons

Hundreds of employees have been laid off over the past two years and the layoffs continue as jobs are being outsourced to India and independent contractors. Meanwhile, management claims to have a new direction in mind, but no one understands what it is. Managers fail to provide direction or feedback. Whether working in-house or as a freelancer for the company, pay is minimal and not in proportion to the value provided.

Employees deserve to know where the company is headed in plain English, understandable terms and give employees genuine opportunities to contribute their ideas. Compensation needs to be higher.

Loved the culture and projects, but company is still working out a few transitional issues.

Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved the sense of community. My coworkers and managers were my mentors and always welcomed my opinion on projects. The projects were challenging, fun and rewarding, especially with the publishing industry heading into a more digital marketplace.

Cons

Unfortunately, there was no room for advancement within the company and the transition phase was dragged out longer than what it needed.

Wiley has some great management, I just wish there was more trust in those individuals who have a vision for the company.

Company transforming itself

Current Employee - Vice President & Publisher in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Vice President & Publisher in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you like change, results oriented, and fairly compensated for your work.

Cons

Feedback is a little slow, but you have the opportunity to really contribute if you are a self-starter.

Continue to improve the cultural to attract new talent.

Wiley used to be a great company.

Former Employee - Associate Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wiley has great benefits. The staff is intelligent and collaborative. Mid-level managers typically support staff with on-the-job training and and constructive criticism.

Cons

Wiley laid off a considerable number of people within the past year while executing a change in their business strategy. The layoffs negatively impacted the company culture resulting in considerable morale issues. Throughout the process staff received little communication about the skills Wiley needed in order to execute their new business strategy. Although senior management suggested that staff training would be part of the transformation none was forthcoming and instead jobs were moved to India.