Wiley

Wiley Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Wiley President and CEO Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • They also have a pretty good overall corporate culture and promote work/life balance for employees(in 36 reviews)

• Very supportive of employees with good benefits and flexible working hours and locations(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Hardly any room for advancement as there are too many people who never left the company(in 9 reviews)

• there were more staff in senior management than working staff(in 10 reviews)

Publishing Industry is Changing

ProsGood benefits and work/life balance. Forward-thinking management team. Promote from within. Good people to work with.

ConsChanges to the publishing industry are creating difficult challenges, and the company is constantly evolving to meet those challenges. In general, publishing companies are at the lower end of the pay scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency is the key to managing change. Empower employees and they will embrace it.

Loved the culture and projects, but company is still working out a few transitional issues.

Marketing/Sales (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI loved the sense of community. My coworkers and managers were my mentors and always welcomed my opinion on projects. The projects were challenging, fun and rewarding, especially with the publishing industry heading into a more digital marketplace.

ConsUnfortunately, there was no room for advancement within the company and the transition phase was dragged out longer than what it needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWiley has some great management, I just wish there was more trust in those individuals who have a vision for the company.

Great colleagues, bad management. A case study in how to manage yourself out of relevancy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy colleagues, for the most part, were smart and committed. Prior to the announcement, and very slow rollout, of the reorganization the work was interesting and motivating.

ConsThe reorg has been a major disaster. The majority of people let go were.lower level mgmt or non-mgmt. At the higher levels everyone was just shuffled to a new job, in some cases where they had no experience.

Almost two years after reorg annoncement things are still not settled, and its still unclear to most colleagues how this has been a valuable excercise for the company or its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at your own level first. Talk to employees like they are the people paying your salary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a Welcoming organization for minorities

Production Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearning Publishing strategies is wonderful at Wiley. Company Values are average. Benefits good. Personal growth is dismal if you are a minority.

ConsEgotistical people. Location is now in NJ :( -- Pay is not acceptable to me

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be more tolerant of minorities.

Company transforming itself

Vice President & Publisher (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsIf you like change, results oriented, and fairly compensated for your work.

ConsFeedback is a little slow, but you have the opportunity to really contribute if you are a self-starter.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve the cultural to attract new talent.

Easy to move around in company. A little behind the times.

Online Learning Support and Sales (Former Employee)

ProsMost promotions are from within, even the secretary has a chance at editing. Transfers to other offices possible. Good bonuses, friendly coworkers. Rewarded for meeting challenges.

ConsA lot of travel to very boring places, fronted by employee and repaid by company. Online learning is a mess and it's hard to sell what you know is not working.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some better programmers from Silicon Valley instead of abroad.

Great people, not great compensation, lots of changes underway.

Editor (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsAll of my managers were fair and understanding. The hours are flexible with the ability to work remotely. Also, benefits are generous.

ConsCommon for the industry, but compensation is not great and promotions can be difficult. Many people have been around for a long time, even if ineffective, so it's sometimes tough to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the quality talent you have.

Uninspiring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo pressure, 9-430 working hours.

ConsLots of under-achievers, pay is pretty poor, non-existent staff training or improvement program, too many staff that have worked there for too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some staff in key positions that have have experience working in high performance environments.. Spend some money on essential HR like staff training. Empower your staff. Get some healthy food in the staff canteen.

Turning around an ocean liner

Editor (Current Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsThere are opportunities to be had if you keep your eyes and ears open. No one is going to hold your hand here and lead you to a raise or a promotion, but by collaborating with movers and shakers (not complainers) you can build a rewarding career at Wiley.

ConsWiley is a company with a 200-year past. It's difficult to navigate the transition from print to digital, and it's not nearly a seamless transition. There is a lot of uncertainty, which few people enjoy, and it is really tough to say goodbye to colleagues who have been let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny investment you make in your employees, be it training, teambuilding, or perks - paid and unpaid - will more than pay for itself in productivity and morale.

Admissions Manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsComfortable, training, free education, work-life balance, great people, and growing

ConsSales job without the bonuses and they always hire from the outside. Very little upward movement even though they are growing

Worked for Wiley? Contribute to the Community!