Wiley

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Wiley President and CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for those looking for stability, minimal after-work headaches (in 50 reviews)

• It's a very comfortable place to work, relaxed environment, great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room for advancement (in 9 reviews)

• Constant shifting of priorities, no room for upward mobility, management was full of themselves (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Separation of Senior Management and Worker-Bees

Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great vacation time and personal time. Work week was 35 hours a week. Co-workers were pretty good and it was a good environment to work in.

Cons

There was really no chance for advancement, no matter how much I tried. I started in a position that never really changed much and lasted in the position for 13 years when they finally decided to close departments and outsource to India.

Listen to the people doing the work and not only those in senior management. I think your decision-making would be somewhat different if you did.

Great place to work, but you will be laid off

I have been working at Wiley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere (too relaxed), talented employees (but undervalued), decent benefits w/ a decent amount of vacation time (to distract that the pay is low).

Cons

Currently restructuring, most employees are being laid off due to work is being outsourced to India. And those that are laid off are forced to stay months after in order to recieve severance. Wiley seems to spend their milions buying other companies instead of creating their own original ideas. The original ideas they do have, don't make any sense and have no direction.

You're all idiots! Stop laying off your talented employees based on what a bunch of over paid consultants told you. They did not take into account the amount of work that was being done, and those employees left have been working hard to pick up the pieces of this mistake. Stop relying on other companies to make your money, and start paying attention to future developments in the industry so you don't have to make this mistake again.

In Transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wiley Indianapolis has a flexible, somewhat relaxed atmosphere, but that doesn't mean inefficient. People have a good work ethic and are among the most professional in the business. Benefits are very good, with lots of time off and good insurance coverage.

Cons

Like many media companies, Wiley is going through a lot of upheaval within its ranks. Proceed with caution if you are thinking about working there.

Not much to say because I don't think the current senior management puts much weight on what employees might advise.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley

Pros

Great upper management, with a lot of good people. With room for growth.

Cons

Sometimes there wasn't any sort of communication with the interns to see how they're holding up. Kinda just left the interns to figure things out on their own.

Great management for the most part but should improve on keeping In touch with the interns.

Wiley is no longer the Place to Be

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley

Pros

Wiley offers its employees an excellent benefit package. Colleagues are congenial, hard-working, intelligent and supportive. The company offers flexibility, but not enough promotional opportunities.

Cons

There has been great upheaval at Wiley for the past couple of years. Restructuring began in 2013. Approximately 25% to 30% of Wiley's workforce globally has been laid-off, leaving the employees who remain demoralized and frightened about their own job security. Unfortunately, the new leadership and management teams can best be described as confused and misguided, rather than visionary and inspiring. Corporate communication is poor and there is cult of secretiveness & dishonesty that prevails in the current environment. Wiley was slow to respond to the digital transition (in comparison to some of the other publishing companies) and thus far, their response has been disjointed and inadequate. The three divisions of Wiley do not work in concert with each other and this negatively impacts Wiley's ability to move forward and compete. Like many large companies, Wiley is extremely bureaucratic.

Stop patting yourselves on the back. Don't send out any more cryptic, corporate communications. The vast majority of employees would like to be treated with respect and honesty.

As one of the hundreds of former employees dismissed last year...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For me, the pros of working at Wiley were my boss (a very supportive person who would do anything to help you out professionally and personally); my coworkers (a great crew of hardworking people); and the job itself. I liked my job very much but the experience in the Wiley office was another thing (see Cons).

Cons

Once it looked like digital was the way the publishing industry was going, it just seemed that Wiley was something of a deer in headlights. They just didn't know which way to turn and worse, didn't prepare their employees before releasing them into a highly digitized workforce for which they were woefully undertrained to compete for jobs.

Also, Wiley loves to boast about its supposed work/life balance, but from my experience this perk is only for a favored few. In my entire time at Wiley, many colleagues and I, who had proven ourselves as good workers who delivered work well and on time, were not permitted to work from home on a consistent basis for even one day a week. This, even though the work was of a type that could be done remotely.

The other part I disliked about working there was how secretive management was.

Let your employees in on what's going on and train them to be competitive in the workforce.

A place to be… or not to be it's up to you.

Former Employee - Management in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Management in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a very comfortable place to work, relaxed environment, great benefits. For many years Wiley valued their employees and created an environment that provided job safety.

Cons

Catch 22, great benefits-low pay. Relaxed environment-no room to advance. Slow to update with technological changes in publishing world. Stagnant, when willing to change this company makes drastic decision that don't make sense.

Managers should recognize a value of their employees and help them update their skills using up-to-date tools.

Unfocused, secretive, overmanaged

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA

I worked at Wiley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company was very flexible with different working styles and if you were proactive, you had the flexibility to change your own role.

Cons

The culture is ... snotty. Management is COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED. Due to labor laws in the UK, they are far overstaffed there and offices in the US suffer from bottlenecking and general incompetency (it's nearly impossible to be lay off or fire people, plus they can take up to a year off while holding their job). I don't expect the company to survive in it's current state. There is a ridiculous amount of reinventing the wheel, due to some major organizational issues.

Stop running the company into the ground by overpaying yourselves, underpaying your staff, and not allowing for growth, advancement, or new ideas. Figure out how to connect your businesses rather than treating them as silos.

Good publisher, tight deadlines

I worked at Wiley

Pros

Publisher knows how to put profitable books together; people are talented

Cons

A lot of Deadline pressure; editors vary in their temperaments

Don't let bonuses create too much rushing of a product

Safe and balanced. But not a long term option.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wiley

Pros

Great benefits. Good balance work/life. I like the familiar atmosphere among employees.

Cons

New management restructuring the company. Some departments are understaffed and many positions remain underpaid for too long. Low salaries and limited promotion possibilities, specially for higher positions.

Reward good, loyal employers and pay higher wages to those who do all the work. Outsourcing is not the only way. Minimize bureaucracy. It takes forever to implement new plans and ideas.