Wiley Reviews

Reset
3.1
Wiley President & CEO Mark Allin
Mark Allin

Pros
  • Good work/life balance; global opportunities (in 50 reviews)

• Great benefits - best I ever had (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't expect a promotion, management never changes and there is no room for advancement (in 9 reviews)

• Relaxed environment-no room to advance (in 11 reviews)

Program Assistant

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Rutherford, NJ
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Rutherford, NJ

I have been working at Wiley (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture / environment Nice colleagues Great benefits

Cons

Not much room for growth Company is restructuring and many colleagues are left in the dark

It's like a great restaurant that has no wait-staff..

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley (More than a year)

Pros

Can't speak for others, but I feel I am handsomely compensated. Great work/life balance, flexibility, location, professional/no-nonsense work environment with minimal distractions, insurance & benefits are pretty good. I think issues and frustrations are on account of senior and director-level management more so than middle management or even executive-leadership. In my opinion the new CEO is making concerted efforts to communicate with the boots on the ground to 'the best of his ability'. Middle management does seem to have a much more accurate grasp on the real issues at hand and should be included in more conversations though.

Cons

More PTO than I know what to do with (wish they'd pay me out the unused time), management in some areas is cliquey and political which can lead to resentment (opposite of what they seem to think they're achieving). Company in general is GRAVELY understaffed; I was surprised to see people in areas like finance being designated by management to handle things like building security or general responsibilities that couldn't possibly have been in their original job description...I am awaiting the next restructure so I can add "emptying trash cans" to my resume :)... So yeah, there's really not much "fat left to trim" from headcount; only exception being some areas of content production. Company seems to have completely lost sight of everything that made them great and is seriously neglecting their customers. Customers have finally caught on and are fed up with Wiley--it'll be impossible for reps to win back their business with all of these grandiose digital plans once they're "done" with Wiley. It feels like there's no one actually employed anymore to service the customer's needs; kind of akin to a sit-down restaurant--which may have great food and ambiance--but has zero waitstaff, so the customer just sits there waiting til they're fed up, leave, and blacklist the whole place altogether (if that makes sense).

Advice to Management

You guys have tunnel vision with the digital transformation. Employees have become second-rate and customers have become third-rate. Customers are "enamored" (verbatim) to have actually gotten in touch with someone after months of attempts to reach their rep.. So forget about my own feelings, it's really the customers I feel terrible for. I can't emphasize how disheartening it is having to put on my empathy hat and make excuses/apologies to customers on behalf of the company not having their act together. It happens every day now, more and more, which is why I finally felt compelled to voice that on here. So many things going wrong lately, and no one actually employed to fix these issues.. People are leaving and things are going haywire! I think we're at rock bottom now.. Although fortunately the good news is that once you hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up! I think there should be more transparency on what jobs may ARISE in light of the ever-looming "restructuring", so that those employees considering jumping ship have an understanding of opportunities on the horizon and least know that hanging in there in the interim is a valuable use of their time. Also, the plans looked great for the office transformation, but please get on with it already! This place is downright depressing and borderline toxic.

This company getting worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good knowledgeable people. Good products and information. Hopefully with new CEO comes up with a better vision.

Cons

Getting rid of smart professionals. Too much upper management infighting. Outsourcing jobs then they tell you how great it is as you see co-workers get laid off. Low pay. Benefits getting worse but more expensive. There a lot of people that speak well but don't say anything of value.

Advice to Management

Figure out a strategy and stick with it for more than a year.

5. Excellent Working Conditions

Pros

Being an independent contractor is an excellent opportunity to explore which companies you want to work for and how long.

Cons

Having to look for new assignments after the last one ends or about to end is challenging.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. nice place to work

Current Employee - Production Editor in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Production Editor in Tinton Falls, NJ

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly people and nice place to work overall

Cons

responsibilities are not clearly defined.

Wiley was the place to be, once

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

35 hour work week Ample paid time off Good benefits package Decent pay for the work expected

Cons

Upper management is secretive and Middle management is manipulative and constantly in spin mode. They are in a never-ending phase of downsizing. It's been over 2 years and they're still laying off entire departments. Watching colleagues walk out if HR meetings in tears was a common sight.

Advice to Management

If you have a plan for the future, announce it. Persuade middle-managers to speak honestly and be authentic and quit trying to manipulate their staffs to suit personal business agendas.

Staying relevant

Current Employee - Editorial in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Editorial in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart acquisitions strategy to stay relevant. Long history of high-quality products. Great colleagues.

Cons

As Wiley evolves from a publishing company to a services & solutions company it's a challenge to be part of the former, where resources are dwindling and talent is exiting.

9. Wiley Employee

Current Employee - Designer/Developer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Designer/Developer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The growth is rapid for a large company. The people are genuine and friendly and the company's outlook is very positive.

Cons

At the present time I really don't have any negatives concerning my employment with Wiley. The company I was hired by was acquired two years ago by Wiley, so it has been, for the most part, business as usual.

Advice to Management

I really do not have any advice for our management. They are receptive to our needs as employees and appear very transparent about the company's plans for the future.

Decent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional responsibilities are very defined, appropriate help and resources available if needed. A good place to settle, if you desire stability and little else.

Cons

Rigid, conservative. Little to no receptivity to new ideas if they deviate from procedure. "Process over product" is a somewhat pervasive philosophy.

Advice to Management

More young blood in middle management. More awareness of the way others are doing things. Digital integrations and non-print-based workflows taken for granted for years at other imprints were still treated with suspicion. This can alienate valuable talent.

11. Production Team Leader

Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wiley is one of the best places to work if you are pursuing a career in the publishing industry. The company offers great benefits. There is really an opportunity to have work-life balance. Employees are discouraged from rendering overtime.

Cons

The company is undergoing major restructuring in its entire history that resulted to employees being made redundant. What's sad is they let go some of their best employees too!

Advice to Management

Retain the best employees and they won't regret it!

RSS Feed </> Embed