Wiley Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

Wiley President and CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • They also have a pretty good overall corporate culture and promote work/life balance for employees (in 36 reviews)

• Very supportive of employees with good benefits and flexible working hours and locations (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Hardly any room for advancement as there are too many people who never left the company (in 9 reviews)

• there were more staff in senior management than working staff (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

It used to be the "Place to be."

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, excellent time off, good work/life balance. Great colleagues, and a general friendly environment. Decent severance package. For eight years, this was a great place to work.

Cons

I listed decent severance package as a pro, because they are giving out more and more of those to their employees. They seem to be taking outsourcing to a new level, eliminating loyal employees while increasing the number of VP positions in every area of the company.

Stop outsourcing everything. This used to be a great company to work for, but colleagues come in every day wondering when the ax is going to fall in their department, or when it will fall again. I would predict that within 5 years, you will re-hire much of what you have outsourced back into the company fold.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people trying really hard to do what is best for company

Cons

recent management and strategy changes have rocked the company and it is stil trying to find its footing

What was once "the place to be" (the company's motto) is no more.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company offers generous time off and stresses work/life balance. My fellow editors were some of the brightest people I've had the pleasure to know.

Cons

Hundreds of employees have been laid off over the past two years and the layoffs continue as jobs are being outsourced to India and independent contractors. Meanwhile, management claims to have a new direction in mind, but no one understands what it is. Managers fail to provide direction or feedback. Whether working in-house or as a freelancer for the company, pay is minimal and not in proportion to the value provided.

Employees deserve to know where the company is headed in plain English, understandable terms and give employees genuine opportunities to contribute their ideas. Compensation needs to be higher.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company. Transition is taking its toll and needs to be better managed communicated so staff can be engaged in it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The quality of colleagues is consistently high. Working with great people is every engaging. Good products. Management seems to have a direction but it has not been clearly articulated.

Cons

Due to a transition to digital, common in publishing these days, the environment has become dark and the morale of the staff has suffered. Communications from management have not been effective.

Improve communications even when communicating difficult decisions and get the transition finished so that people can feel the environment is stable.

Great company, Utterly idiotic Business Analysis (SQA) management

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company, great business teams, specifically finance & tax team; and fantastic work environment

Cons

When it comes to the team of business analysts and more specifically their "managers" (they call it SQA team), I've never seen more useless unprofessional people in my 25 years of career. I was there for more than a years and didn't see a single productive document created by them. When I decided to take a transfer to a different division, they shut me down so I decided to move on.

The IT leadership is extremely poor and is filled with Citibank and McGrawHill rejects. All this "SQA management" does is talk and that to in broken English. About 80% of them don't know how to speak English.

Hire people who know how requirements are managed. Current SQA management is bound to bring down the image of a fantastic company like Wiley.

Loved the culture and projects, but company is still working out a few transitional issues.

Former Employee - Marketing/Sales  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the sense of community. My coworkers and managers were my mentors and always welcomed my opinion on projects. The projects were challenging, fun and rewarding, especially with the publishing industry heading into a more digital marketplace.

Cons

Unfortunately, there was no room for advancement within the company and the transition phase was dragged out longer than what it needed.

Wiley has some great management, I just wish there was more trust in those individuals who have a vision for the company.

Company transforming itself

Current Employee - Vice President & Publisher  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Vice President & Publisher in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you like change, results oriented, and fairly compensated for your work.

Cons

Feedback is a little slow, but you have the opportunity to really contribute if you are a self-starter.

Continue to improve the cultural to attract new talent.

Great colleagues, bad management.

A case study in how to manage yourself out of relevancy.

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My colleagues, for the most part, were smart and committed. Prior to the announcement, and very slow rollout, of the reorganization the work was interesting and motivating.

Cons

The reorg has been a major disaster. The majority of people let go were.lower level mgmt or non-mgmt. At the higher levels everyone was just shuffled to a new job, in some cases where they had no experience.

Almost two years after reorg annoncement things are still not settled, and its still unclear to most colleagues how this has been a valuable excercise for the company or its employees.

Clean house at your own level first. Talk to employees like they are the people paying your salary.

Not a Welcoming organization for minorities

Former Employee - Production Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Learning Publishing strategies is wonderful at Wiley. Company Values are average. Benefits good. Personal growth is dismal if you are a minority.

Cons

Egotistical people. Location is now in NJ :( -- Pay is not acceptable to me

Learn to be more tolerant of minorities.

ok

I have been working at Wiley

Pros

work life balance my new manager and subject area is great

Cons

pay old boys club upper management seems to ursurp raises too much politics

promote the talented from below

Worked for Wiley? Contribute to the Community!