Wiley

Wiley Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Wiley President and CEO Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith

Pros:
  • "work life balance is highly valued, the management does not endorse overtime"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Nice work environment, creative yet professional"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Salaries for non-publishing positions are not competitive and there is little-to-no room for advancement"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Pay could be more attractive but seems about right for the publishing industry"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not so great anymore...

I have been working at Wiley

ProsBenefits are decent and work-life balance is good.

ConsThere a lot of cons around here these days. What once was a great company is now a shadow of its former self. The reorg was like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. Women can pretty much forget about high-level leadership roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clear strategy. Put more women in leadership positions. If you do, it's likely that you'll actually come up with clear strategies for the future AND a plan to execute, instead of all the posturing and politics under the current structure.

Company in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI was at Wiley for more than 2 years and they certainly improved in certain areas over that time. When I joined, the company seemed to have a very poor idea of the direction it wanted to take. In general, people were pleasant to work with. The work culture usually had most people heading out ~5-5:30pm, which was refreshing.

ConsLow compensation. Limited options for advancement

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe culture WAS wonderful for years - like one big happy family. Great location in Hoboken - lots of restaurants, stores of every kind (except book stores, which was kind of strange), etc. Terrific cafeteria with the best short order cook in the world. Genuinely nice, helpful people.

ConsWhen the old leadership team retired, it's like the company just fell apart. They got rid of the woman who had been training for years to replace the old PT president and replaced her with a Steven Smith crony, and the new PT president is awful. What the old PT president spent 25 years working to make the best PT division in publishing, the new guy managed to destroy in two years.

Systems are very slow. Several years ago, they made a huge acqusition that was supposed to make things better, but they should have taken that money and updated the systems. They're trying to do that now and they're just not making very much progress, because the economy tanked. If they'd had the systems in place for better online publishing, they could have ridden it out.

Compensation for asssistants is well below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy the heck didn't you talk to managers and find out what was really going on instead of relying on a series of consulting companies who didn't know what they were doing? They got rid of the best people, including my boss who had been there for 19 years and was the only editor in the department whose publications consistently made or exceeded her annual numbers.

Transforming for future success; not without some bumps

I have been working at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart, committed staff make coming to work worthwhile. Great content and a strong desire to meet the needs of today's and tomorrow's consumers cultivate an atmosphere that values creativity and strategic innovation. Good work/life balance; global opportunities. Cafeteria food is delish.

ConsRestructuring has resulted in some unforeseen challenges that must be overcome while still meeting unchanged near-term goals. Morale is low; changes feel driven by dollars and not necessarily by good strategy. This road trip may take longer than expected; pack a lunch, because you may not get one otherwise.

Good place to work but still operates as a large Organization

I have been working at Wiley full-time

ProsMost of the people in the office are great, the work/life balance is good and we have some freedom to chose technologies/frameworks. Compensation is reasonable and there are a few other benefits like Pension and Bonus schemes.

ConsI guess the cons are the same as with other big companies: a lot of processes and bureaucracies, senior management disconnected sometimes and a lot of hierarchies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending on overpriced Enterprise Software tools which are useless and over-engineered.

Good people to work with

Senior Acquisitions Editor (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood job security and workload

ConsOld-style company trying to change
Salary could be better

A good company that is going through growing pains

Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent time off and benefits. Nice office in a casual environment. Some managers were very much invested in their staff. Growth and development in some areas.

ConsThe restructuring that has resulted in massive layoffs globally is based on consultants recommendations that don't understand the job. It was very demoralizing for staff that had tenure to be the first to go, many who had put many hours into developing and adapting to the continuous changes. The boys club is strong and binding at Wiley.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw out tenured staff just because the consultants want to cut the overhead. Those people are the ones that know the history as to how we got to where we are and have adapted and grown their areas. Just because we have 10 years in doesn't mean me can't adapt to further training. Senior management needs to listen yo the employees, don't just get the abbreviated messages from their managers. There is a strong group of talented individuals that is willing to invest if you invest in them!

Enjoy the Work!

I have been working at Wiley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have the benefit of perspective having worked for another large publishing company. What I like most about Wiley is the ability to work in both collaborative and autonomous environments (sounds contradictory, but it's not...certain situations require these different approaches), the opportunity to contribute; respect from my manager and peers; excellent teams with whom I work and manage; colleagues willingness to listen to new ideas.

ConsWiley systems can slow things down and create lots of frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the best people, remove people who are no longer contributing or for whom the business has passed by. Remain open to new ideas.

Moving toward the future

I have been working at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery supportive of employees with good benefits and flexible working hours and locations. Office locations in many locations give the opportunity to work with great colleagues worldwide. Very family-friendly.

ConsAll departments are experiencing turmoil right now as the company restructures and refocuses on its future as a digital content and service provider. Technology is behind the curve and trying to catch up quickly.

Consultants gone wild

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wiley full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you get into a segment you like with good managers you will learn alot They vale innovation. Flexible.

ConsConsultants everywhere have made quite a mess. Bad disjointed systems with seemingly terrible plans to offshore service and support. Politics and painful beauracracy permeate all levels -- very hard to make headway.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership teams should make am effort to know the teams they lead. More women should be given senior roles.

Worked for Wiley? Contribute to the Community!

Wiley Videos

Wiley – Why Work for Us?

John Wiley & Sons, Inc., is a leading global publisher providing must-have content and services for the academic, professional, scientific, technical, medical, scholarly and consumer markets. Wiley is an equal… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wiley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wiley CEO Stephen M. Smith. All 179 reviews posted anonymously by Wiley employees.