Wilfrid Laurier University

Wilfrid Laurier University President and Vice-Chancellor Max Blouw
Max Blouw

Good place to work

I have been working at Wilfrid Laurier University

Pros

Good pay, benefit, vacation, job security

Cons

Really enjoy my time at the company

Great experience

I worked at Wilfrid Laurier University as a contractor

Pros

Great interaction with students - small class sizes!

Cons

Sessional instructors are not necessarily valued by tenured professors - definite unspoken class system

Create awareness and education amongst tenured staff

Depends entirely on what you're doing and who you're working for

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Wilfrid Laurier University

Pros

Was a Teaching Assistant here for a couple of terms; my experience was great because the professor I was working for was exceptional and gave me lots of responsibility that was commensurate with my level of experience and ability. She was just generally extremely enjoyable to work with and for.

WLU, for the amount I interacted with the institution as an employee was just fine -- but basically, I'm talking about the payroll department, because professors decide who their TAs will be and there's no interaction with HR (unless, I suppose, there's some kind of employment issue) and there was no real reason to interact with any other department. I would add, though, that since I was also a student here as well as an employee, that the Faculty of Graduate and Postgraduate Studies here is excellent; all the staff I interacted with in the grad studies office were great and very supportive.

Cons

I didn't really experience any major cons, because my role was so limited. But I would expect that nature of one's experience working as a TA here (or at any institution) is almost wholly dependent on the professor(s) you work for. I guess the one thing I would say is that the quality of the students in the classes I supported (about 75-80 students each) was not impressive, on the whole; there were a handful of outstanding students, several truly terrible ones, and an inordinate number of average/barely average ones. WLU's entrance standards are way too low, and it screams cash grab. Enroll tons of first-year students, get all that tuition, and thin the herd by second year. But it makes for crappy academia (and overcrowded classrooms). However, the feeling one gets at WLU is that nothing matters more than the bottom line (not even school spirit, which runs a close second). Actual academic quality and standards are farther down the list.

Having been not just an employee but a student here, I would suggest WLU focus less on running the school like a for-profit business and uphold higher academic standards.

Good place to work

I have been working at Wilfrid Laurier University

Pros

Culture, values, time-off, training, benefits

Cons

difficult bureaucracy process, leadership is difficult to follow, work hours for different employees creates challenges with timelines

jobs

I have been working at Wilfrid Laurier University

Pros

very good pay, benefit, vacation
    encouraging

Cons

i really enjoy working there

Great place to work and study.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Wilfrid Laurier University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot from my professor while working as RA. He always helped me whenever I need so. At times he acted as mentor and coach. As a student WLU is a great university to study. In general teachers are great in teaching and helping students.

Cons

Few professors are not great in teaching the subject matters. However, they have the positive attitude to teach the students. The students standard are also not consistent.

University should focus more on the admission of consistent students.

Student driven

I worked at Wilfrid Laurier University as a contractor

Pros

strong values within management that filters down

Cons

slow growth and can lack a strong central method

A farce of Higher Education.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wilfrid Laurier University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff are highly motivated and do their best to provide students with an education despite the efforts of administration. Also the students are usually very enthusiastic and eager to learn.

Cons

The disadvantage is the administrative culture who see the university as a business or rather a scam to relieve students(' parents) and the provincial taxpayer of tuition monies and go through the motions of providing an education. Decisions affecting the university are not made on pedagogical merit, student interest or for the increase and dissemination of knowledge but for the profit margin. The treatment of part-time contract staff is deplorable.

Cut down the size of the management bubble, and focus on what a university should be about: teaching and research. By lessening the fiscal burden caused by excessive management more teaching and research staff could be hired on a full-time basis and then small class sizes could again be realised.

Horrible work culture and management

Former Employee - Support Staff, Administrative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Support Staff, Administrative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Wilfrid Laurier University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Educational tuition discount for employees

Cons

Union dues, staff have to pay for parking, faculty treat support staff poorly even if they are university educated, offices use out-dated technology.

In 5-8 years most of the support staff will retire. You will have no choice but to hire younger workers that are university educated and skilled with technology. You will no longer have the luxury of treating support staff poorly as they will no longer be high school graduates with typing skills. You need to train faculty and administrate mangers how to work with and develop younger workers.

Degree Factory

Former Contractor - Sessonal Instructor in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Sessonal Instructor in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Wilfrid Laurier University as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Course coordinator (non-management) provided helpful direction and sharing of ideas
    Very good admin support for lecturers

Cons

Never met the department head who hired me -- all done via email
    Students more interested in grades than learning...and the system reinforces the culture with bonus mark schemes, focus on grade appeals
    Facilities are rundown and not conducive to learning

Be more hands on in managing the process. Reorient the culture to learning.