Wilkins Fitness

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Wilkins

Awesome culture

Commercial Area Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wilkins Fitness as a contractor for less than a year

ProsAwesome culture to work in after other nightmare jobs.....more products than I have ever had in my tool belt

Consno micro management means you need to be able to motivate yourself

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the product and solutions coming

Training was "interesting" shall we say.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wilkins Fitness

ProsFlexibility, own boss, they sell everything under the sun. If multi level marketing appeals then this might be a good fit.

ConsAs a sales strategy, they want you to drive all over your territory, but, when you enter a business you
"forget" your card so you can then drive back another day and "deliver" your card, thereby gaining the "second touch" appointment. What ?! I thought they were kidding at first.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales "Academy" must be more than reading a power point presentation.

Not for the faint of heart

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wilkins Fitness

ProsYou are your own boss. Set your own hours, work when you want to. Huge product line that can be sold to a number of verticals. Always adding on more companies and products.

ConsNo base, no benefits, no car allowance, nothing. You may not see a paycheck for six months. You will probably not sell something in your first month out of academy. They will site examples of people making big deals and large commissions, be aware that these people are the exception. Yes, some do make big bucks, however, most do not. Turnover is very high.

The thing to be aware of is that on the surface, it can seem easy to sell fitness equipment. But there are dozens of companies doing the same thing. There is a lot more competition that you think.

A number of people do this in addition to a second job. Many come into this after as a way to supplement their income from their main job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a base salary for the first 6 months that someone is on the job.

an all-consuming job where it is virtually impossible to earn significant income

Commercial Vertical Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Wilkins Fitness

ProsSelling fitness equipment sounds like fun, and there are hours of training before going out in to the field. Job allows ample free time for reps to have family time. Many reps have other careers simultaneously.

ConsInterview process is brief and takes place entirely by telephone so, basically, anyone can be hired. Lots of hours are spent in training, on conference calls and on webinars every week which severely limits the amount of time spent in the field trying to make sales, Management talks of very successful reps though only one is ever identified by name. Management is dictatorial and inflexible, blaming reps for lack of success. Management does not want reps in the same geographic area in touch with each other so they cannot compare notes and realize that none of them are earning a meaningful income. Managers expect a huge time commitment from independent reps, and use CRM software to closely monitor the activities of each rep. Reps quickly learn they are ill-prepared to sell and most of management's claims (a national network of installers, for ex.) are false. Morever, reps are expected to learn a lot on their own, assume a great deal of liability and are encouraged to establish an LLC in order to protect themselves in the event of legal trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is more than one way to sell and the Wilkins method is not ideal in every situation. Having so many family members in leadership positions is a huge red flag and has led to arrogance and intolerance. It is unreasonable to expect independent reps to adhere to the Wilkins methodology and spend countless hours every week being indoctrinated, only to get minimal support from the management team. Management should cease making empty promises to interviewees and employees, and should stop focusing on adding new products continously since reps will never be equipped to sell all that is available.

Worked for Wilkins Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wilkins Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wilkins Fitness CEO Dan Wilkins. All reviews posted anonymously by Wilkins Fitness employees.