Wilkins Solutions

Updated May 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ron Wilkins

Entrepreneurial opportunity...understand this going in

Commercial Verticals Manager (Current Employee)

ProsProduct breadth is 'vast'...choose what your strengths are first, then focus on territory. Company has very high integrity. If you perform, they will do whatever it takes for you to succeed.

ConsCommission only gig...be certain you can handle the ramp up. Training and other direction is online and phone meetings. Be prepared to carve out time for meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis on pushing HQ culture/values to the field.

New Comp Plan Rocks!

CAM (Current Employee)

ProsThe business model is a total win-win. I just got updated on the new comp plan and the upside and incremental earning options are just what we needed to take it to the next level.

ConsStill a lot of "lazy" folks using up territories that could be killing it and helping expand the brand visibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of the dead wood and let's get into overdrive.

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSales position with enormous amount of support from great products to sell from top of the line manufactures and distributors. Sales support from the Wilkins family was amazing. They helped every step of the way. Mentors were available for weekly face to face help via Skype. There is team support too. You get a dedicated market region to sell in.

ConsStraight commission sales. One needs to be able to generate some success early to keep it going or have a mate to support you financially in the beginning.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Build relationships not your bank account

CAM (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsAll the products you could want

ConsAll the same products available via the internet, Must set up every aspect of account, including marketing, selling, delivery set-up and maintenance if needed. Great but if you sell anything you take home if lucky 10% of sale. You have to concentrate on big accounts to make any money, but don't do bids, build a relationship so you can make some money a year from now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep telling us about how you sold the big accounts.... that works.

Wilkins Is Not For Everyone

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat product mix, excellent training, ability to be your own boss, straight commission. I have been an independent rep for almost 12 years, and have been extremely successful on my own. Wilkins shares a lot of the expenses of starting and running a business, such as web presence, office support, social media, etc. Sure, you can do it on your own, but it is timely and costly. I find it to be much more bang for the buck by using the Wilkins system.

ConsStraight commission, quoting system is not efficient. It takes a lot of time to find the desired product, call up the manufacturer for a freight quote, then complete the Excel quote form.

Straight commission sales is not for the faint of heart. The successful rep must always have something in the pipeline and work incredibly long hours. Someone said in an earlier post that it comes out to about $4 and hour, and I find that a high number. That is just the nature of commissioned sales until the business is built - you bust your rear end to have continued business two years or more in the future. Because Wilkins deals in capital equipment, you have to make more calls to have more in the pipeline. This makes it hard to do to keep up with the follow-up, conference calls, product knowledge, etc. If you want decent money to start with, do not get into commissioned sales. Find a job with a salary. You will not have the opportunity to make as much as you wish, but you will not have to work as hard, either.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe quoting system needs improvement. It is inefficient and takes up a lot of valuable selling time.

Excellant Business Model and Opportunity

CAM (Current Employee)

ProsThis is an Independent Contractor position with the support and infrastructure you would expect with large vertical sales organization. Mutliple product categories. You run your business. Strong Potential for growth

ConsHigh ticket items have a long selling cycle. You are responsible for all aspects of the business and must be able to manage time between, sales and service. As an Independent Contractor you do not have the security of a salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove hiring practices. Drive home this is a Independent Contractor position. Next step for growth is Regional Management and National Accounts Coverage. Need this sooner rather than later.

All FILLER no killer. Don't waste your time like I did. Do your DUE DILIGENCE!

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSome very enthusiastic and hard working people.
    The products are great
    The IDEA is fantastic.
    Self employment is the way to go these days.

ConsThe previous 2 or 3 "reviews" are obviously plants - more lies.
    Enthusiastic and hard working folks are great, except when they are dishonest, unethical, and misguided. In that case, you get a lot of bad stuff going on. Unfortunately for me, I did not read the glassdoor reviews until just now, when I was trying to figure out how I got myself into this mess of an organization and sullied my own reputation.
    Don't take my word for it. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, like I should have done. You will find everything these people claim is a fabrication or close enough to it as to be unethical, in my book. 1) "Largest in Industry": By what metric? sales? revenues? personnel? NONE of those are true, yet they claim it everywhere. Private companies can make any claim they want and don't have to show the books. The only metric this is true in is in the amount of dishonest and manipulative business practices conducted. 2) CEO claims to be chairman of some elite fitness industry trade organization. Sounds great. I bragged about this to many clients who are IN THE fitness industry. They must have thought I was a total fool. Fact is, the CEO is Chair of FIDA, but it is practically a MADE UP organization - like if my 5th grader was to declare her bedroom a kingdom, and that she was the queen. Sure, it might be true, but....3) and worst thing, the business model is sort of reversed from the standard "contract sales" model one might expect, where the reps make a ton of money and therefore stay in business. In this case, the company keeps almost all the revenues and is very slow to pay, even the meager amount they owe the reps.
    I was a total fool and stayed in this organization way to long. It's my own fault, because maybe I did not do enough research up front, I was desperate, I didn't study math enough in school to figure I was not going to make any money.
    Even now, as I am making my exit plans, I find myself sort of sticking around, almost like a Howard Stern fan, as I wait for the next line of BS.
    Biggest Con, I represented these guys here in Texas, and now look like a fool to my clients, so I have to sort of go back and rebuild my reputation. It's totally possible, but I am eating a lot of crow.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead some ethics books, but if stuck in your ways, maybe go sell used cars or work for the IRS.

Everything I expected

CAM (Current Employee)

ProsYou are in control; You make your own hours,own rules and build your own business. You are involved in a startup business whose focus is on honesty, integrety and doing the right thing for everyone involved.There is support from the very top of the organization to assist in any way possible to help you develop your own business.

ConsThis buisness is not for everyone. It is for personalities who are forward thinkers, understand hard work and perseverence are imparitive and that sacrifice is part of the reward. It is difficult to start up (like any business) because there is little brand/name recognition and it is difficult for perspective clients to understand how many options are available to them through the organization. You need a financial cushion in order to dedicate the time necessary to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on providing opportunities that allow CAM's the ability to deliver needed products and services immediately for faster ramp ups.

It's gotten better

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee)

Pros*Flexibility
    *Accessibility to management
    *Wide offerings--there's something to sell anyone!

I think I know who previous posters were talking about when they mentioned the arrogant executive staff. He was incredibly arrogant, and often inappropriate, and loved the sound of his own voice. Fortunately that person is gone, and things have improved considerably.

Cons*You've got to be pretty proficient with Excel and computers.
    *You need a lot of self-discipline
    *Sales training calls can run too long

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should consider giving base salaries and benefits.

Pretty much a scam

Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNone I can think of

ConsSeems like a poorly run organization with management in total disarray.

Worked for Wilkins Solutions? Contribute to the Community!