Willbros

John T. McNabb

Very Professional and progressive

Current Employee - Survey in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Survey in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Willbros full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Willbros is a leader in new technology, we use the latest versions of software and the newest equipment. We also have to ability to chat live to each other on our computers, even share screens, and control others computers to give or get help with any issues. There is also a strong inter-department cooperation. We all help each other.

Cons

Willbros has a very bad cross department feud which can seriously hinder progress, and productivity. They have forgone quality in many cases to use procedures that inexperienced programmers have written. This is all in an attempt to streamline workflows, but in most cases, makes work flow cumbersome and complicated. These over done processes are over seen by the less skilled of the firm, and all this costs time, causing many over-budget projects.

Managment should let the ones skilled in their respective fields have input to the processes imposed on them. The managers them selves should feud less and allow more open non-competitive collaboration between trades and skill levels.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Controller in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Controller in Houston, TX

I have been working at Willbros full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment, Great management, Challenging and open to new opportunities.

Cons

I currently do not have any negative feedback for this company. I am completely satisfied with my job here.

Values people, reasonable pay

Current Employee - Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Willbros

Pros

They have a good system of recognition by peers, culture of safety, middle management is young and hard working, does not just ask engineers to do the work. Have a good national presence.

Cons

Perks are next to nothing, their stocks tanked after oil prices dropped, don't have diversified portfolio other than upstream - oil & gas and downstream refineries.

Middle of the road consulting firm.

I worked at Willbros

Pros

There were many good people to work with. The work culture was enjoyable and they paid you what you were worth in the market.

Cons

The benefits were the same as most consulting firms. There were no bonuses available to the engineers. There were many layoffs when the market turned.

Good People Good Culture

Current Employee - Administrative in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Willbros

Pros

People are great
    Lots of opportunities for growth
    Good Salary for position

Cons

Lots of Manual Data entry to spreadsheets
    Lots of room for Human Error with Data

Need to really believe in and follow the Value Wheel of Culture

Willbros is a classic presentation of the "Peter Principal".

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Willbros full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay regularly.
    Benefits are middle of the road.
    Little meaningful input from leadership

Cons

Miserable systems, but don't worry, nobody talks about the failure to execute and track projects.
    Tremendous siloing and complete breakdown across internal groups.
    Leadership that doesn't lead. No ears to hear of issues or problems. If mediocrity is your goal, apply at Willbros, that is their pinnacle.

Start over with a new team.
    Scattered areas of bright, good employees, completely obscured by a below average management team determined to quash any information flow.
    Focus on excellence. Non existent culture and values.

"Walk the Talk"

I worked at Willbros

Pros

Nice office atmosphere and good compensation package.

Cons

The company spends a lot of money on culture ideas, but fails to walk the talk. For example C2 Culture, things like Process Matters, One Willbros, Build Trust, etc. And the company value moments, like Our People. These concepts are great, but they stay concepts and stickers on the wall or handout focused recognition cards. Management does not lead these concepts by example. They say they care about their people, but they really don't. It is all about utilization!

Realize that Willbros doesn't make "widgets," they sell their employee's expertise for money. What they sell is not tangible and therefore, can disappear very easily.

Willbros Engineering. Cast of cartoon characters. (WB)

I worked at Willbros

Pros

Best thing about having worked at WB, is I got to work with many cartoon characters and that I was terminated.

Cons

Mutual respect constantly emphasized by management, but was simply a front. Evaluations were done without good timing and delayed. Best practices were talked about but never implemented. Lots of talk, but no action. All one big circus act.

Dump your young HR manager if you want the mutual respect motto to be carried out and adhered to. Learn the importance of timely personal evaluations. Get rid of the best practices if they are not going to be implemented. Quit with all the pretentious overtones of "Willbros' mutual respect". It is a joke. No one believes it.

Made mistake coming here

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Willbros full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary, nice office building and location

Cons

Management by intimidation and ultimatum. It's all about profits. Leadership is via good 'ole boys who continue to lack leadership and team support skills.

Either train the director and vp levels in people skills or move new people in. Internal promotions of people who have been passed over for years allows their weaknesses to be manifested and ruins the company in the long run.

Needs better work/life balance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Willbros full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment. Located in a central area.

Cons

IT department needs improvement. More communication as to what is expected of employees would be nice. New systems introduced with no training and without all of the bugs being worked out before go live. Work/life balance is talked about but not practiced on a regular basis.
    Medical benefits could be A LOT better compared to other organizations I have worked for.

Give guidance to those who are new to the position. Improve work/life balance.