Willdan Group

Willdan Group President and CEO Tom Brisbin

Tom Brisbin

Great people

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat group of people to work with. Friendly environment and encouraging

ConsUpper management could value their employees more

Leading by fear....

ProsA lot of upside potential, as very poor performing company currently

ConsLeadership rules by fear and intimidation. A very fast turning revolving door here....

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to spend more time leading, not managing. Focus on improving engineering team and strengthening business development

Financial Analyst

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Temecula, CA

ProsQuiet working environment, decent facilities

Conscompensation and benefits are below average, poor support from management, opportunities to grow are non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, provide support.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great entrepreneurial start up business originally then morphed into corporate mess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat vision and marketing acumen by founders. Great managers in local offices propelled the company to new heights and new markets.

ConsWilldan CEO big bully, WES hardly paid their bills on time making for an awkward situation for vendors, clients and WES managers. Too much focus on shareholders and personal egos of upper management structure. LOTS of favoritism in favor of inexperienced loyalty based cronies of CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip of what is really important- client relationships, employees who work hard, manage costs effectively, and limit the cronyism (which is a huge damper on employee morale).

Supportive work environment

Corporate Responsibilities (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsMy department has a positive and supportive culture, with considerable flexibility and teamwork. Appreciation is shown for our contributions. The recession really slammed the housing and public sector client base but efforts to diversify and trim were overall on the right track.

ConsSome cutbacks and layoffs were necessary but the extent was too drastic. Personal politics are still a big factor in many departments. Forced ranking has caused some unnecessary conflicts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job with acquisitions, but don't short the company's historic base and smaller projects. Spend more time listening to employees and communicating your initiatives.

Good opportunities for flexible work week

Planner (Current Employee)

ProsWilldan has a subcategory of part-time staff, which works well for those of us with multiple demands on our lives. The opportunity to work from a home office is great. I have found a high level of trust from my full-time coworkers.

ConsWhen the company went public a few years ago, the original "family" attitude changed, morale surffered (lots of emphasis on the bottom line and billable hours, not surprisingly) and training budgets were cut. There's also a downside to working part-time and/or remotely: when there's little work available, you're not needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your professional front-line staff.

Check the financials!

Engineer (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsReally had a great experience when the economy was healthy. Engineering and development were the companies strength.

ConsSince downturn, Brisbin has taken company to energy management, ignoring its base businesses. This company is in deep financial decay. How the stock is at $2.36 is beyond me.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpansion to energy management is good, but you are deteriorating in your core business. This is no longer an engineering company.

Room for improvement

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a great place to start a career in the energy field, opportunity to assist in various projects, and work and contribute in business development ventures.

ConsToo many changes in management, wage freeze, no performance evaluations. No clear direction of career growth. All the extra work you put in will not be recognized because it is expected. Too much emphasis on billable hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstandably cuts needed to be made, but the fact that nothing was done to reassure remaining staff of position of company, direction of company and no effort to improve employee moral.

C-suite has more ambition than acumen. Board seems to be asleep at the wheel.

Prefer Not to Disclose (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsCompensation is competitive. Company is focused on growth in the right markets and industries. Has large contracts with major players in energy efficiency.

ConsThe c-suite is a "band of brothers" who value loyalty over merit. They're insular, heavy-handed, lack self-awareness, show little ability to adapt to change, and lack the industry knowledge to develop and implement a clear vision or brand for the company. Lots of ego, little accountability. Financial control over contracts is weak. Operations are a total mess - lots of "duct tape and chewing gum" systems in place. HR is virtually nonexistent. Women and minorities are underrepresented.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut junior and middle management in positions to develop company vision. Bring on industry experts, step back and let them lead. Board needs to ask harder questions of leadership and take control, or clean house. Motivate middle mgmt and line staff by providing opportunities for growth and advancement.

big dreams, trouble with implementation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Monrovia, CA

Prosenthusiastic upper management, growth industry

Consmanagement not prepared or skilled to implement growth plans

Worked for Willdan Group? Contribute to the Community!