William F. Ryan Community Health Center

CEO

Assistant Coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Helping the undeserved, some patients are appreciative.

Cons

Where do I begin? This place was extremely disorganized, used outdated methods of data collection, and seemed to overwhelm me with long winded tasks, 4 hour useless meetings, and other tasks not mentioned during the interview. A lot of budget cuts, and disgruntled coworkers who were less than enthusiastic about performing their jobs as well. Awful!

Recruit people for the long term, and give those who come on board a fair chance to change your center for the better. This place hurts the public health movers and shakers, but rewards the status quo.

Horrible administration; incredibly bureaucratic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

You get to serve a good cause and help underserved communities. Some doctors and staff are great. Patient appreciation.

Cons

Poor management; very top-down; employees are taken for granted; not a happy work environment - everyone wants to leave!

William F. Ryan Community Health Center Response

Sep 16, 2014

A Message from Karen S. Westervelt, President & CEO, William F. Ryan Community Health Network

I am honored and so pleased to have been afforded the opportunity to return to the William F. Ryan
    ... More

Run away from this organization as fast as you can!!!!

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time

Pros

Salary is great. Front line staff (for the most part) are pretty awesome. Providers are passionate.

Cons

Administration is comprised of a bunch of uneducated bullies. At the interview they paint this beautiful picture about how they're changing the way the health care industry provides services. That health care is a right not a privilege. You soon come to find out that getting out of there with your life is a privilege and not a right. There are those patients that are truly thankful for the services they receive. Then there are those (a great deal of them) that feel this entitlement and think it's ok to talk to the staff however they choose. They will belittle, threaten you, intimidate you and basically treat you like crap and administration will do nothing more than place a "Code 2 Alert" on their chart which means that security has to be in the vicinity whenever they are at one of the centers. So the patients do whatever they want BECAUSE THEY CAN and administration doesn't support you. And if you question these tactics then administration questions your dedication to their "mission".

Such a dysfunctional place to work. The providers are treated like slaves. They are given more patients than anyone could possibly see without bordering on losing their license. The administration makes you feel like it's "us against them" when it comes to management and everyone else. Just horrible!!!

The turnover rate is ridiculous. Whether it's that people leave or they are outed! At some point or another someone needs to do something about this but I doubt it. So long as the bullies are at the helm I doubt this will change.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrific Place to work.

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Patients and some co-workers are very pleasant.

Cons

The Centers primary focus is the volume of patients they see in a day be at the maximum. Employeess are as replaceable a the toilet paper in their restroom.Very sad as this is suppose to be a place of competent caring healthcare. Dont think twice, think more than 3 times before working here as its heartbreaking if your well intentioned.

Replace yourselves as you do hard working employees. At least it will be warrented in your case.

The absolute worst employer I have encountered in my lifetime.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at William F. Ryan Community Health Center as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The location is close to transportaion.

Cons

Very disheartening a federally qualified "Community Health Center" would choose to treat people that strive to provide quality health care to people with no respect, sense of fairness/ appreciation or professionalism. The turnover rate is comparable to the fast food industry as rather than hiring people to fill positions, the Ryan center facilitates a competition pool of temporary employees that creates a hostile and impossible work environment that negatively impacts patient care and the moral of good intentioned employees. As for their motto , "Health Care is a right, not a Privilege" should be revised to "quantity over quality here at Ryan" "treat as many patients per day as long as we can bill your insurance regardless of whether we can provide quaility care."

Get some training ASAP and turn in some resignations.

Absolute WORST Working Experience - Horrific Management - AVOID!!

Former Employee - Educator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Educator in New York, NY

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Convenient location. No other reason.

Cons

Management distrusts every move employees make. Management obsessed with unnecessary paperworks, write-ups, policies. Condescending air.

One particular example: If you clock in even ONE minute late in your first six months, you may be fired on the spot; management reminds employees of this regularly. Given this, I would try to arrive at least 15-20 minutes early. I was never late and never missed a day. However, on occasion, I arrived early to work (by only 15 minutes) in order to be sure I was never late and subsequently not fired. After arriving to my office about 15-20 minutes early I was questioned about why I was arriving early. I was told that employees are not allowed to arrive early because it "looks suspicious." Human Resources actually asked, "Why on earth would you want to arrive to work early?" I asked, "What do I do when it's snowing outside, trains are delayed, and I can't be one minute late? If I arrive 15-20 minutes early, what do I do? Can I really not come in when the building is open, my office and desk are open and jsut sitting there, and others have already started their shift?" Their reply: "I guess you'll have to freeze outside in the snow."

Another example: I genuinely had the flu. I worked in a department with patients with a compromised immune system. I was not allowed to call in sick because I had "only" been working there for 4 months--and had never been late or missed a day. (Their probation period is 6 months, and during this time you are reminded that you are dispensable and can be fired on the spot at any moment if you break policy.) I was instructed to go into the office and "prove" that I had the flu. I was told that if I did not go into the office, I might be fired. I went into the office. To prove my illness, I coughed all over my supervisors. While I gladly enjoyed coughing all over the supervisors who required me to come in as proof of my illness, I was appalled that I could not be trusted as an employee and that the organization would risk having an employee endangering the health of others by being forced to come in when contagious with an airborne, communicable illness.

Change your abusive policies. Recognize that your employees are not kindergarten children who need to be watched and threatened at every move. Until then, you will not sustain quality employees.

Community Health Center Disaster: Not a good place to receive Medical Care or to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Locations around New York City, Lovely Motto (Health care is a Right, not a Privilege), sliding scale for uninsured, acceptance of many different Health Insurances

Cons

Patient wait times, patient appointment availability, poor phone access (no one ever answers the phone).

I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Honestly!! The Administration is horrible. They are a bunch of bullies and gangsters. No matter how hard their employees work, they don't give them any respect or signs of gratitude. All they do is bully you and threaten you with unemployment. They don't treat you like a very hard working adult. We have lost great Nurses, Pediatricians, Specialists, and Receptionist for no good reason. They have no reluctance to fire anyone, no matter what their title. The turn over rate of all employees is faster than at McDonalds. When you go to a place and hear that this person is new and that person has been here for a couple of months then you know there is a problem. The Pediatric Director will boost about how long a couple of the Pediatricians and Nurses have worked for the Center (A COUPLE!) -- but will fail to tell you how many Doctors, Nurses, and Receptionist have left, or how many they have fired. They were GREAT workers too!!! Three of the Pediatricians within the past year have even sued them because they were VERY WRONGFULLY fired. Yeah, ask about all that if you are going to interview. They WILL call you for an interview too because they are terribly short staffed. The patients are even tired of the high turnover rate of Physicians and many of them have left the center because of it. Continuity is lacking! They don't care how hard any of their employees work or how late they stay each day in order to provide quality care to their patients. They just have the 'ON TO THE NEXT ONE' attitude. If you don't believe this review, ask them BEFORE your interview about the high turn over rate of Pediatricians, Specialists, Nurses, and Receptionists. The Administration can care less about complaints from the patients or the staff. As long as they can bill Medicaid or any other health insurance they are happy.
    Their motto, "Health Care is a right, not a Privilege" sounds great but Treating Their Employees with respect should be a Right and not a Privilege too!!! Congressman William F. Ryan must be rolling over in his grave. Trust me, don't waste your time with this place. Visit if you want and talk to the staff. They are not happy at all. I'm tired of the high turn over rate and the VERY wrongful write-ups of the staff. After the holidays I am going to happily
    resign!! That will be a gift to myself. I would tell you to print out this review and ask the Doctors, Nurses, front desk staff, custodians, and security guards to comment on it but they
    probably won't give you an honest answer because they know the bullies will be after them. People have children to feed and bills to pay so giving you, a stranger, the 'Heads Up' may not be in their best interest (no matter how badly they want to tell you the truth). Seriously, keep looking. Send your resume
    somewhere else.

Have a heart not an open hand

Most rewarding experience as a former employee

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits, advancement and excellent trainings to prepare you for ever changing healthcare

Cons

very anal with lunchbreaks, breaks and unnecessary write ups

Allow your workers to breathe and perform the job tasks that's required of employees

Bad Experience

Former Employee - I worked there  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - I worked there in New York, NY

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Central Park
    Starbucks
    Subway is right off of Broadway
    Lasker Pool 2 blocks up
    Columbia University near by

Cons

High turn over rate.
    Management is horrible, does not provide adequate training and expects you to learn overnight. This is just one way to prepare you to be overloaded with work.
    Too many contract positions, which is not good and not adequately explained during the interviewing process.
    I felt as if my movements more monitored and there was lack of communication between management and staff.

Be honest during interviews when you are hiring new candidates. I think potential employees need the right information to make informed decisions about their professional careers. Orientations should give new employees the opportunity to ask questions, no matter how long it takes. New folks should never be rushed through the process and ushered out of the office because you have no more time to talk.

Extremely Stressful with bad management -- Doesn't care about their patients or employees.

Former Employee - Patient Navigator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Patient Navigator in New York, NY

Pros

Great mission. Provides services to low-income peoples in high-need areas. Has satellite centers.

Cons

The higher-ups in administration are terrible. One of them specifically believes that screaming in Spanish is the answer to careful management. Some employees gossip about patients and clearly don't care about them as much as they should. Obviously community health centers will be more stressful environments (compared to large, well-off private hospitals), but I thought that would attract more open-minded people who sincerely care about people, but terrible management made me (literally) want to lock myself in the storage closet for hours. I quit when I started to dream about hanging myself in that said closet. Also, if the patients stress you out by running around, throwing food all over the place, and losing their children, implement proper rules and regulations. It's safer and more hygienic that way.

Nurses need to be appreciated more, as well as the administrative staff. There is a reason there was a high turnover rate while I was there (and the years before). I know several people (other than myself) who cried daily after work due to poor management taking out their (personal) frustrations on us. There is no reason to roll your eyes and yell "OH DIOS MIO" all the time in people's faces -- explain to them clearly what needs to be done and when. Everyone is too scared to approach you (for help) to do their work correctly (maybe). Treat people well (especially when you're paying them less than minimum wage, as they're supposed to be "volunteers"). Respect them and they will respect you.

Worked for William F. Ryan Community Health Center? Contribute to the Community!