William F. Ryan Community Health Center

Updated February 15, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
2.0
CEO

1. Great staff, often willing to assist in any matter. Safe and clean environment with a well maintained work space.

I have been working at William F. Ryan Community Health Center

Pros

easy hours, no late nights

Cons

not for those looking for plenty of over-time.

base your job on your income needs and availability.

2. Traumatizing Work Experience

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center

Pros

9-5 no overtime. Close to public transportation.

Cons

I agree with above posters. Administrators treat clinical staff like crap. There is no open door policy. Communication sucks. As much as I enjoy working with this population, there is no way I could stay here long term.

3. N/A

I have been working at William F. Ryan Community Health Center

Pros

Able to interact well with patients.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth in other fields.

Personal growth/professional development program needed.

5. Great staff, horrible senior management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the people that I got to work with. Program and entry level staff where great. The mission is great, and a lot of these people really care about the work they are doing.

Cons

The problem was the CEO and Executive Directors. They treat everyone below them like crap and give absolutely no support.

The Board should get rid of Execs at all sites, and bring in some fresh new young talent. The center is lagging behind because they refuse to move forward with the times (and they wonder why they are losing patients all the time).

Malignant Administration-Ryan and Ryan Nena

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff are dedicated and hard working. The patient population is underserved and in many can use all the help they can get.

Cons

Where to start-No communication with staff from administration. Staff leave, are fired and treated like criminals even after years (10+ years of working there). The amount of work expected requires corners to be cut. Administration is deaf to concerns about the kind of patient care provided. CEO resigned over summer, new CEO resigned after three months. Clinic Director is finally leaving-so perhaps improvements will occur, but so many good people have left already. The focus is really on making paperwork for JCAOH, OSHA etc look good at cost of patient care.

Communicate with staff "Open door" policy really isn't helpful if your answer to concerns is "you can leave if you are not happy here". Acknowledge the hard and good work of staff at least occasionally. Listen to the concerns that are raised about the kind of care you are providing.

Assistant Coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Helping the undeserved, some patients are appreciative.

Cons

Where do I begin? This place was extremely disorganized, used outdated methods of data collection, and seemed to overwhelm me with long winded tasks, 4 hour useless meetings, and other tasks not mentioned during the interview. A lot of budget cuts, and disgruntled coworkers who were less than enthusiastic about performing their jobs as well. Awful!

Recruit people for the long term, and give those who come on board a fair chance to change your center for the better. This place hurts the public health movers and shakers, but rewards the status quo.

8. Horrible administration; incredibly bureaucratic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

You get to serve a good cause and help underserved communities. Some doctors and staff are great. Patient appreciation.

Cons

Poor management; very top-down; employees are taken for granted; not a happy work environment - everyone wants to leave!

William F. Ryan Community Health Center Response

Sep 16, 2014

A Message from Karen S. Westervelt, President & CEO, William F. Ryan Community Health Network

I am honored and so pleased to have been afforded the opportunity to return to the William F. Ryan
    ... More

Run away from this organization as fast as you can!!!!

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center full-time

Pros

Salary is great. Front line staff (for the most part) are pretty awesome. Providers are passionate.

Cons

Administration is comprised of a bunch of uneducated bullies. At the interview they paint this beautiful picture about how they're changing the way the health care industry provides services. That health care is a right not a privilege. You soon come to find out that getting out of there with your life is a privilege and not a right. There are those patients that are truly thankful for the services they receive. Then there are those (a great deal of them) that feel this entitlement and think it's ok to talk to the staff however they choose. They will belittle, threaten you, intimidate you and basically treat you like crap and administration will do nothing more than place a "Code 2 Alert" on their chart which means that security has to be in the vicinity whenever they are at one of the centers. So the patients do whatever they want BECAUSE THEY CAN and administration doesn't support you. And if you question these tactics then administration questions your dedication to their "mission".

Such a dysfunctional place to work. The providers are treated like slaves. They are given more patients than anyone could possibly see without bordering on losing their license. The administration makes you feel like it's "us against them" when it comes to management and everyone else. Just horrible!!!

The turnover rate is ridiculous. Whether it's that people leave or they are outed! At some point or another someone needs to do something about this but I doubt it. So long as the bullies are at the helm I doubt this will change.

Horrific Place to work.

I worked at William F. Ryan Community Health Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Patients and some co-workers are very pleasant.

Cons

The Centers primary focus is the volume of patients they see in a day be at the maximum. Employeess are as replaceable a the toilet paper in their restroom.Very sad as this is suppose to be a place of competent caring healthcare. Dont think twice, think more than 3 times before working here as its heartbreaking if your well intentioned.

Replace yourselves as you do hard working employees. At least it will be warrented in your case.

The absolute worst employer I have encountered in my lifetime.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at William F. Ryan Community Health Center as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The location is close to transportaion.

Cons

Very disheartening a federally qualified "Community Health Center" would choose to treat people that strive to provide quality health care to people with no respect, sense of fairness/ appreciation or professionalism. The turnover rate is comparable to the fast food industry as rather than hiring people to fill positions, the Ryan center facilitates a competition pool of temporary employees that creates a hostile and impossible work environment that negatively impacts patient care and the moral of good intentioned employees. As for their motto , "Health Care is a right, not a Privilege" should be revised to "quantity over quality here at Ryan" "treat as many patients per day as long as we can bill your insurance regardless of whether we can provide quaility care."

Get some training ASAP and turn in some resignations.