William Hill

Updated March 4, 2015
2.5

William Hill CEO and Director Ralph J. Topping
Ralph J. Topping

Pros
  • Laid back, good for sports interest, good training (in 5 reviews)

• Pay is only okay if you are a student like me and are part-time ( (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • 14 hour shifts) Work/Life balance is almost non-existent (in 8 reviews)

• 14 hour shifts and shops open till 10 pm every single day including weekends and back holidays (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyable if in the right shop

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Rotherham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Rotherham, England (UK)

I worked at William Hill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a fun environment, especially during National or Cheltenham events, chance to grow within the company if your in the right shop, I was only a customer service assistant but was trained up to open/close the shop, do the banking and basically manage the shop,

Cons

Aslong as you get along with the manager you can arrange days off easily, I left due to being on maternity when I returned the manager from a different shop was now my manager and she was a bully, whilst on maternity I tried to keep in contact with the shop about what had changed or if I needed updating on anything, I arranged with my manager to have the week off for my childs first birthday, she wrote it down and was told it was fine, when I went back after maternity I was then informed by my area manager that I couldn't have the week off as she hadn't been notified by my manager, my manager then took advantage of me within the work place, tried pinning her mistakes on me and pushed me out of the shop, this of corse was not hidden away from the customers as they saw how she treated me themselves, some even stopped and went into Ladbrokes instead once I left and have never been back since, as I have said previously, aslong as you get along with your manager your ok, if not be prepared to get some stick. If you leave make sure your notice coincides with cut off date for wages else you won't receive them and be fobbed off like I was.

Listen to complaints from employees regarding bullying and do something about it else you will lose staff to other companies where they feel part of the team and listened to with any issues they have.

Terrible

Current Employee - CSA
    Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at William Hill (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is only okay if you are a student like me and are part-time (£7 something an hour for cashiers).

Cons

Gossipy colleagues, management higher up do not care about you (DOMs and above), they took away the bonus this year, district managers usually horrible and useless, high pressure and if you make any minor mistake (despite a clean record) you will get a disciplinary and potentially lose your job, especially for age verification.

You have to stay till 10pm, cant use your phone even if the shop is entirely empty (which happens most evenings) so you sit there doing nothing.

You have to fill out loads of silly workbooks periodically.

They call you on your days off expecting you to be at their beck and call as if you live for William Hill

Career prospects are poor, the most you will become is a manager. Managers don't even get paid for overtime they get time in lieu. But William hill manage to cheat the managers out of the time off they are meant to take so it's a lose lose scenario.

Oh and if you are new dont become a 2.5 (like they will try and force you to become) means you will have to work all day shifts all the time (8am till 10pm with one 1 hour break)

Get out while you can, save yourself.

No perks.

Raise pay
    Grow a heart

Great people, mostly great customers - shame the company has zero social responsibility

I worked at William Hill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues and great customers. Fantastic place to work if you love sports - can't beat the atmosphere in the shops on Grand National day!

Cons

Working hours are not the best if you have a life, family or other commitments.

The worst part about working here had to be the internal and corporate stance on social responsibility with reference to gambling, and how it was actually nothing more than fluff blurted out to appease industry regulators.

If you have worked in the industry you will know that gambling is an issue for the majority of betting shops regular customers. William Hill is not just interested in a customers surplus cash (because the average punter has so much of that, right?), they want it all. They do not care if a customer puts 5-6k into a FOBT and loses the lot, they do not care if a customer loses his or her rent money on a horse - all they are interested in is syphoning off as much as possible from each and every punter and meeting internally set targets.

William hill

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at William Hill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Can progress quickly , great training fab colleagues

Cons

After being put on relief..not knowing where your working from one week to the next
    Unaproachable middle management , treated like a number not a person

Find approachable doms

we are william hills biggest expense

Current Employee - Manager in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in York, England (UK)

I have been working at William Hill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good in shop , can be a very pleasant job. customers are great and shop team is like an extended family

Cons

company make you feel worthless no matter how long you have worked for them. they like nothing more than sucking up to the government to try and get better tax over the gaming machines. this is at a cost to their own staff morale and they are telling government we will follow guidelines that are impossible to achieve

company doesnt give a jot about its own staff. they are leaving one person in shop even on grand national night. how can any manager leave a person in the shop with so much money to be responsible for. they say we are their biggest expense well i say money well spent william hill. you should be ashamed of yourselves. shareholders are raking it in but they wouldnt be if it wasnt for us menials. av visits done by youngsters who couldnt care less if they do the job right. william hill still haul the staff member over the coals no problem

Very straightforward and simple job

Former Employee - 2 5 in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - 2 5 in London, England (UK)

I worked at William Hill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well paid, little work sometimes not at all in less busy or quieter shops, great for honing customer services skills as you get a wide variety of people coming into shops.

Cons

No room for promotion after shop manager unless you want to sacrifice your dignity, higher level management don't really know what's going on in shops or care they just jump down your throat for results weekly.

Get out of the office more and know whats going on in the district, not just waiting for the AOM to be around and pretending you manage your shops efficiently all the time.

Awful.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at William Hill full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work.
    Shops are quiet, meaning you dont have to actually do alot a work. Its great for those who want easy money!
    Training isnt too bad, and is given often.
    Staff are usually all as de-motivated as one another and therefore makes the day quite funny.
    Customers (usually daytime old men) can be lovely.
    Days off can be arranged to your advantage aslong as you have a nice manager.
    Cigerette breaks, coffee breaks can be endless if working with the right person.

Cons

Shifts are strange, the shops are only ever busy on weekends, (Football)
    Banned customers attempt to get in every single day, and turn abusive if you stand up to them.
    The pay is awful, and not enough if you are doing this full-time.
    Senior management, are not approachable.
    Blame is put on young staff members or those who havent been there very often. For example, fraud, money going missing.
    Days can be very long, and boring.
    Your asked to submit holidays but dont get the ones you asked for (pointless)
    Constant need to complete a "training folder" which no trainer ever looks at, just makes sure its signed.
    You can be more qualfied and experienced than your shop manager, and get spoken to like an idiot due to them taking there career as a betting shop manager far too seriously.

Increase pay, give staff more of a say, stop making shop managers scared of DOMS (they only care about numbers) and shop managers are sucking up to them left right and centre, its embarassing.

Win some, lose some.

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at William Hill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly flexible staffing, great relationships with colleagues, good visibility of upper management. Benefits programme is also good.

Cons

Sometimes shifts can be unbearably long, sometimes progression can take an age waiting for a post to come up.

Exploiting customers and staff alike

Current Employee - Manager in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at William Hill (more than 5 years)

Pros

The shop level staff are great to work with. Some of the regulars are a pleasure to serve. Plenty of money spent on Xmas do.

Cons

Shops are open for 13-14 hours a day, including Sundays. Practicality dictates a shift pattern including at least one full day a week, which is exhausting. Company decided to ignore the Working Time Directive after it made it impossible to manage staffing, rather than reduce the trading hours to keep a reasonable break between shifts. Managers are expected to work a full day then open again the next. Company declared lone manning at night safe so that they wouldn't have to pay two members of staff, ignoring safety concerns, putting into place a flawed "buddy" system instead. It's impossible to predict busy periods, so we are commonly working alone when the shop is at bursting point, yet we are also expected to give exemplary service, practice age verification and responsibility to customer gambling while struggling to cope with the business level. The businesses is designed to leach as much money as possible from customers, encouraging addictss to spend all their money on gaming machines, while hiding behind a pretence of responsibility with self-exclusion and limits systems that do not work. Onus is on the shop staff to police and nursemaid customers with clear psychological issues relating to gambling. Health and safety is a joke, shops are falling apart, the EPOS system is ten years out of date and yet the company refuses to spend any money. Concerns are raised to line managers but they have no real influence. After another year of record profits staff bonus has been curtailed. Poor rate of pay, no benefit for antisocial hours or lone manning. Staff levels now at breaking point because so many have quit due to all of the above, making it harder than ever on the staff that still work there.

Spend a week on the front line dealing with the addicts and the scumbags, on your own for twelve hours without a break, and then we'll talk about how to run a business and respect your staff.

Decent way to earn money during University. Only for recommended for those who live near a shop.

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at William Hill part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on the shop you're based. I had generally nice customers and friendly team members.
    Free Tea and Coffee!

Cons

Minimum pay
    Terrible working hours
    Abuse from "scum" customers.

Increase wages.